What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowe,La Paglia in talks over Stadium

Crowe, La Paglia in talks over stadium

June 2, 2007 - 2:34PM

Australian Hollywood heavyweights Russell Crowe and Anthony LaPaglia are in talks about developing a purpose-built football stadium in Sydney.

The stadium would house both Crowe's South Sydney NRL team and Sydney FC, the A-League club in which LaPaglia is a director and shareholder.

"You're the first person I'm going to tell this, Russell and I have been talking to each other about the possibility of ... joining forces to achieve that goal," LaPaglia told AAP on Saturday.

"He wants a stadium, I want a stadium and we think together there is a possibility we might be able to pull it off.

"We would combine forces to have a home field, and training facilities.

"It's (the talks with Crowe) been ongoing for about four months now, we're still trying (to work out) how to do it exactly, but there's a bunch of emails flying backwards and forth.

"He's done a great job in turning (the Rabbitohs) around."

© 2007 AAP

Brycey

Juniors
Exciting news for rugby league in general...especially if Sydney can get a smaller version of Lang Park sort of stadium...something designed for league and soccer.

Print Email Last Update: Sunday, June 3, 2007. 8:37am AEST
Sydney FC, Rabbitohs in ground talks

Sydney FC has confirmed there have been discussions about building a purpose-built stadium to share with the South Sydney Rugby League Club.
The A-League club's chief executive George Perry says at this stage it is just an idea that is being kicked around between actors Anthony La Paglia and Russell Crowe, who have major interests in the clubs.
Mr Perry says Sydney FC still has three years to run on its contract with Aussie Stadium but he can see the advantage in the club having its own grounds.
"The fact is we could maintain the quality of the pitch," he said.
"It would be ours to own and train on as you want rather than having to share the facility with other hirers, but as I said at the moment it's a fair way off any sort of formalising of talks."
Print Email