What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Fifita

TheRev

First Grade
As for Props.. our Top 30 is a lot tighter next year than you would think (still some re-signings to go), we cant afford to buy any more MMolo/Fifita level props.. they have to be at a minimum better than Lawrie, and ideally better than Sele.. and this assumes we retain JDB.

The name Thomas Hazleton keeps coming up as proof there is talent sitting in nsw cup.. but he was 23 before he got promoted after a full year in NSW Cup.. we probably have 1 or 2 of his quality in our system.. but our boys are 18-19 still.. 4-5yrs is a bluddy long time. I am keen to see how well Toby Couchman goes soon though, just to see whether he can handle the extra step-up for real now, and exactly how much that extra 12mths has done for his development.

As for Props.. our Top 30 is a lot tighter next year than you would think (still some re-signings to go), we cant afford to buy any more MMolo/Fifita level props.. they have to be at a minimum better than Lawrie, and ideally better than Sele.. and this assumes we retain JDB.

The name Thomas Hazleton keeps coming up as proof there is talent sitting in nsw cup.. but he was 23 before he got promoted after a full year in NSW Cup.. we probably have 1 or 2 of his quality in our system.. but our boys are 18-19 still.. 4-5yrs is a bluddy long time. I am keen to see how well Toby Couchman goes soon though, just to see whether he can handle the extra step-up for real now, and exactly how much that extra 12mths has done for his development.
That Toby Couchman isn't getting a regular run in first grade by now is near criminal and tantamount to sabotage. He will need time like Sloan but he must be there now so that he has the opportunity and can blossom sooner. For some reason we'd rather roll out these journeyman who are purely holding the fort and, I will be blunt, have very little to offer long term.

Nothing is happening in terms of bringing talent in and I have no doubt the coach is going all out in this department but at least he can control what he can from within. The no changes to the team after bad losses are very frustrating, and goes to show how little direction we actually have.

TheRev

First Grade
That Toby Couchman isn't getting a regular run in first grade by now is near criminal and tantamount to sabotage. He will need time like Sloan but he must be there now so that he has the opportunity and can blossom sooner. For some reason we'd rather roll out these journeyman who are purely holding the fort and, I will be blunt, have very little to offer long term.

Nothing is happening in terms of bringing talent in and I have no doubt the coach is going all out in this department but at least he can control what he can from within. The no changes to the team after bad losses are very frustrating, and goes to show how little direction we actually have.
I don't think these games are doing the Couchmans any harm, imo players should serve an apprentiship in NSW Cup.. these boys are only 20.5yrs old, and Toby has only played 14 games in Cup, and I reckon they are maybe 1-2 injuries from regular spots.. well Toby is, Ryan is in a much more competitive position.

I reckon in 2025 the Couchmans will be a regular part of our squad though.. I think they will push ahead of MMolo and Fifita. Hamish Stewart & Tonga should have a few cup games under their belts also.
The Su'a situation is becoming more and more dangerous by the day. I'm sure he is monitoring the Wayne Bennett back to Souths situation with interest (and I'd be very surprised if Benny hasn't put a call in).
Yah I suspect that ship has sailed.. well.. this is if Su'a is actually wanted by Wayne (at a price he is willing to accept)... if he does go.. it brings Ryan Couchman into the 1st grade mix I suspect... behind RFM.

Veteran Dragon

Juniors
We'd be better off going into the union market and finding two good looking props. Give them some kind of incentivised contract and squeeze the best out of them. We have money. Absolutely agree we don't need another R Hunt level - aka BMM, RFM, Lawrie, M Molo etc

Can't be that hard to transfer a prop between union and league. There'd be some big boppers in rugby up for the limelight of the NRL.
Are there any props of note in the Super League?

maestro1

Bench

It appears that Shane Flanagan will be having talks with Fifita and his manager soon.

No matter what we might offer, it will become apparent that our club won't have any pulling power just as we didn't for AFB and Turuva.
If we don't offer a TPA or other perks, we will miss out again. Call Twiggy ☎️ 📞 📱

Dragon for life

Juniors
I have a low opinion of this guy.
“lazy p….k” is one of many.
Maybe Flano can fix him but - I doubt it.
He’s essence is deep rooted.
I’d spent the cash on grooming up and coming young guys.
Yeah agree he is very hot and cold. Good when he’s hot and really is a game breaker but not consistent.

Anyway no good buying him there is no one to lead the team around.
Pay Hunt out, send him packing and either look for a suitable replacement or put in some younger guys and develop them.

Dragon for life

Juniors
Sydney Roosters have tabled a massive $3.4m offer over four years for Gold Coast powerhouse David Fifita.
It is understood the Roosters formalised the offer on Monday afternoon.
The development comes as Penrith lodged a similar $850,000 a season offer for Fifita.
With a $4m war chest, the Roosters have cash to throw at Fifita while also believing they can re-sign in-form back-rower Angus Crichton.
The Roosters have more room to move in their salary cap than any rivals.
Fifita has told friends he wants to win a premiership and now has two of rugby league’s most powerful clubs pursuing him.
Gold Coast continues to work desperately hard to retain Fifita.
Are we one of the leagues most powerfull clubs? We should be with our history.
maybe we should be bringing Benny back. F the rabbits

Dragon David

First Grade
Are we one of the leagues most powerfull clubs? We should be with our history.
maybe we should be bringing Benny back. F the rabbits
We tried before but failed and he ended back up with the Broncos - His ship has sailed I'm afraid to say.

He was and is the coach that the lowly clubs would dare to dream to have and we were very fortunate to have had him, otherwise would we have won a premiership these past 23 years?