What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Fifita

matPORTS

Juniors
While it doesn't look dodgy this time around given the players who will be departing the Roosters at seasons end...

You can't tell me that recent dealings in the player market haven't been within the spirit of the anti-tampering rules.

Lomax - him and his management shouldn't have been talking to other clubs before an official release was granted (rumours were leaked to the media during the pre-season games). Also, and as I mentioned in another post about this subject, how were Parramatta able to sign him virtually uncontested (particularly by the Roosters)?

Fisher-Harris - how was a deal done so quickly from release by the Panthers to signing with the Warriors?

Now David Fifita - the only people who will have known about this clause would have been the Titans, his manager and himself. His manager would have been on the phone for the last few months, when in natural fact he's not even supposed to be approaching other clubs before today.

Six and seven figure contracts are complex business, no matter what industry you're in, what product or service you may be offering etc. Even more so in the NRL where the governing body is paying the wages & where the clubs are governed by certain sponsorship and endorsement deals that the players also need to adhere to.

Yes - our board and club management are incompetent. But they shouldn't be criticised if indeed they are sticking to the rules and not talking to rouge player managers outside of the anti-tampering rules.

How on earth are we, and several other clubs, supposed to compete?

The Wayne Bennett back to Souths situation - this will have major impacts in the player market. Managers use situations like this to test the mettle of the clubs.

I feel the worst thing the NRL ever did was get rid of the old June 30 deadline. It was fully transparent. No one could talk contracts across the game before June 30, no matter what contractual situation was.

matPORTS

Juniors
Further to my post - the Fisher-Harris situation probably irks me the most.

Like okay - that's fine if you want to go back to NZ for "family reasons" (this whole release on compassionate grounds is so over used now)... but, I feel the other clubs should also be able to have a shot.

If, for example, he's on $700k at the Panthers and being mutually released for the same money to the Warriors - sure... but we, for example (and knowing that we have cap space available for the coming years), should be able to say the NRL that we would have liked to have signed a player like him and we'd be prepared to pay $750k (off course this would need proper business justification and not just words for the sake of it).

It means then that the Warriors would have to value him on their salary cap for a higher price.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Further to my post - the Fisher-Harris situation probably irks me the most.

Like okay - that's fine if you want to go back to NZ for "family reasons" (this whole release on compassionate grounds is so over used now)... but, I feel the other clubs should also be able to have a shot.

If, for example, he's on $700k at the Panthers and being mutually released for the same money to the Warriors - sure... but we, for example (and knowing that we have cap space available for the coming years), should be able to say the NRL that we would have liked to have signed a player like him and we'd be prepared to pay $750k (off course this would need proper business justification and not just words for the sake of it).

It means then that the Warriors would have to value him on their salary cap for a higher price.
No it does not. The salary cap auditor values the players to a fair market value if their is an inkling they are getting paid unders to go to another club that someone else offered. (e,g Wighton). the NRL had to be happy Wighton is on fair market value based on what Souths paid 800K V Canberra 900-1mill who had a higher offer on the table.
I think they got Wighton right. Canberra offered above market for his standing and ability in the game.
If Warriors pay JFH 700K and he plays for them and we offered a 1 mill, only if the auditor deems his fair market price is a 1mill then that will go under their cap. Fair market price does not = always what someone offers.
I will say though Schubert was auditor for a while back there..is that role exposed to corruptness?...hmmmm Sombrero

Newcomerfan01

Juniors
With Fifita signing, I would say we are losing Sua to Panthers, Souths or now maybe the Titans. Being he is a Queenslander I think it is very likely Titans will go after him as I read a snippet saying they are going to open market to replace Fifita

twinkletoes

Juniors
With Fifita signing, I would say we are losing Sua to Panthers, Souths or now maybe the Titans. Being he is a Queenslander I think it is very likely Titans will go after him as I read a snippet saying they are going to open market to replace Fifita
If he goes somewhere else it is our own fault for letting negotiations drag on for months..is there anyone in the club capable of closing a deal...Flano is the coach and shouldn't be expected to do everything for all the other bludgers hanging on.

Read a piece how the intervention of Politis and of course the connection with Holbrook were the deciding factors in Roosters getting Fafita...conversation regarding their Greek backgrounds and opportunities outside of football sealed the deal. Can you imagine Ryan Webb or Andrew Lancaster or anyone else from our board being able to have those types of conversation....they are all financial types with absolutely no football background, nothing in common with the footballers we are trying to recruit.

Once again we can't expect Flanaghan to do everything and from what I can see nothing has changed in the front office or backroom at the Dragons.

justadragon

Bench
If he goes somewhere else it is our own fault for letting negotiations drag on for months..is there anyone in the club capable of closing a deal...Flano is the coach and shouldn't be expected to do everything for all the other bludgers hanging on.

Read a piece how the intervention of Politis and of course the connection with Holbrook were the deciding factors in Roosters getting Fafita...conversation regarding their Greek backgrounds and opportunities outside of football sealed the deal. Can you imagine Ryan Webb or Andrew Lancaster or anyone else from our board being able to have those types of conversation....they are all financial types with absolutely no football background, nothing in common with the footballers we are trying to recruit.

Once again we can't expect Flanaghan to do everything and from what I can see nothing has changed in the front office or backroom at the Dragons.
Whilst I agree with you, you have to remember that these days its just about as much for the player managers as it is for the players. You have to have relationships with these guys and they can also be quite manipulative with the amount of players they have on their books, and who they have. So whilst we may be bagging the club out whats also happening with Sua's manager. He will be trying to get as many stakeholders in on the action and now with Fafita signing for the Roosters, let the games begin. How good would it be just to have players fulfilling their contract regardless with no bullshit clauses, and if they want to leave early they cant, regardless of any situation.

matPORTS

Juniors
Without getting too off topic - if we genuinely can't compete in the player market, but more so, bothering to offer big $ to these marketeers...

Instead of letting more solid juniors up and leave the system, for example:

Robson
Garrick
Averillo
Bostock
Saab
Ford
Schiller
Wishart
Most recently Lomax
I'm sure I've missed others?

Why don't we focus on nurturing our current crop:

Egan
Couchman twins
Coric
Shereb
Buchanan
etc

I'm sure Flanno knows this. It may mean another couple of years of signing plodders to fill gaps in the process, but surely we will get there? We've just got to !

Last edited:

Newcomerfan01

Juniors
Whilst I agree with you, you have to remember that these days its just about as much for the player managers as it is for the players. You have to have relationships with these guys and they can also be quite manipulative with the amount of players they have on their books, and who they have. So whilst we may be bagging the club out whats also happening with Sua's manager. He will be trying to get as many stakeholders in on the action and now with Fafita signing for the Roosters, let the games begin. How good would it be just to have players fulfilling their contract regardless with no bullshit clauses, and if they want to leave early they cant, regardless of any situation.
Wasnt it that Su'a didnt want to leave actually wanted to stay for 4 years. Actually wanted to be a dragon.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
Wonder how player agents like their clients moving clubs for $200,000 a season less ! They wouldn’t mind forgoing their commission on that amount would they?
NRL under this regime is corrupt and a joke. Bring back David Gallop. He had balls and integrity.

Gomarchin

Juniors
There is still hope for Sua I think. In Flano's preview of the South's game he is still saying "Jayden wants to be here and we want him to be here." Just a matter of getting it done (I hope).
How good is our club at recruitment and retention. They find it virtually impossible to recruit any quality top line players to the club but when they do have a quality player at their club they then find it impossible to retain/and extend them.

How incompetent is this club at everything. FMD.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
MO year 4 ?
or just say yes ?
But is he that good?
or is it more so we cant get anyone else?
He is probably our best player.. and we can’t get anyone else. Have to retain him and hope the new breed have what it takes over the next 2-3 years.
I would also re-sign Sloan, think he has more upside than downside over the next 3 years.
nobody of quality is either available or interested in joining us at the moment.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes SuA wanted 4 years, we wanted 3. Think this ship has now sailed, only a matter of time
Crazy isn't it? I mean either way contracts are not worth the paper they are written and signed on. "I want to be with family" is one of many petty things that players are saying to break contracts as an example. We give Su'A 4 years, he signs, then he wants out in 2 and we say OK? Isn't this what happens in general now. I mean Lomax had 2 more years, Fifita had 2 more years (with that clause allowing him out - as per recent happenings), JFH the same, etc. etc.

The NRL has to do something about these deals. Our league players' contracts have so many escape clauses they might as well just shake on a deal and if the club wants to eff them off or the player wants to eff off then go. Bloody crazy this has become, like me going crazy with what league is turning out now - all bloody frustrating to say the least.