What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Penberthy finally tells us what we already know about News Ltd NRL reporting

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/the-sport-that-transcends-race-class...and-humility/

The difference between the scandals in the AFL and NRL often reflects the difference in style between Melbourne and Sydney. In Victoria scandals are downplayed, in Sydney they are amplified. Victorians rally around the AFL for the good of the game, and argue that player scandals shouldn’t detract from what’s happening on the park. In Sydney the games can often seem secondary to the scandals as the media and public throw themselves into discussion over whether league can ever recover from the latest player drama or administrative c**k-up.

double standards do exist

Eels Dude

Coach
What's the point in criticizing something when you're responsible for that something in the first place, and even admit it.

Flapper

First Grade
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg...op_got_a_rough_trot_but_kept_it_all_on_track/

Not going to paste the whole article as there's literally no paragraphs in the version i copied so i'll get to the crux of it:

*One of the great myths about the commercial relationship between this newspaper and the NRL is that league somehow got softer treatment because of News Limited’s involvement in the game and ownership of The Daily Telegraph.As a former editor of this paper and someone who has also written scathing columns about issues such as the Matthew Johns incident or Manly’s booze-fuelled 2009 season launch, I would say that the reverse is true, for three reasons.The first is that there is so much paranoia on the part of editors such as myself that, if anything, the coverage of negative stories was often significantly more aggressive than it was elsewhere.I can think of many examples where routine misdemeanours - a player copping a late-night slash in an alleyway for example - would be presented as league’s latest crisis. Too often, more journalistic attention was focused on what was happening off the park than on it.Plenty of stories were probably over-cooked as a result.

Great, so they've finally admitted they beat the shit up out of our off field incidents. Penberthy claims that it was an extreme reaction to being perceived as biased. So does anyone see it changing now News aren't as linked as they were? Judging by in particular Rothfield's unhinging over the last week i actually see the coverage getting a lot worse before it gets better. Almost a "f**k you" to the NRL for rightfully punting Gallop.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg...op_got_a_rough_trot_but_kept_it_all_on_track/

Gallop got a rough trot but kept it all on track

David Penberthy

Monday, June 11, 2012 (5:41pm)
A FEW years ago after the Joel Monaghan incident - details of which, you’ll be pleased to hear, I’m not about to go into - a mate of mine had an idea for a comedy sketch.

It was called “Hello, Dave speaking” and it involved David Gallop answering the phone each morning.

You would only hear Gallop’s side of the conversation, where in a world-weary monotone he would be presented with a running sheet of league atrocities from the previous night.

“A photo? A photo of what? A what? Really? You’re kidding right? OK, I’ll be in soon.”

For much of his 10-year tenure as NRL chief executive it seemed Gallop’s chief role was to be the face of official outrage whenever the code gave itself a black eye - which was often.

One of the great myths about the commercial relationship between this newspaper and the NRL is that league somehow got softer treatment because of News Limited’s involvement in the game and ownership of The Daily Telegraph.

As a former editor of this paper and someone who has also written scathing columns about issues such as the Matthew Johns incident or Manly’s booze-fuelled 2009 season launch, I would say that the reverse is true, for three reasons.

The first is that there is so much paranoia on the part of editors such as myself that, if anything, the coverage of negative stories was often significantly more aggressive than it was elsewhere.

I can think of many examples where routine misdemeanours - a player copping a late-night slash in an alleyway for example - would be presented as league’s latest crisis. Too often, more journalistic attention was focused on what was happening off the park than on it.

Plenty of stories were probably over-cooked as a result.

The second is that rugby league is the closest thing in sport to the former Yugoslavia, where so many people have hated each other for so long that they can’t even remember why.

Super League played a massive part in all this, but separate from that there are huge personalities involved - and many of them are people who just love a stink.

The third goes to the culture of the city of Sydney, which is still a rambunctious convict town with a strong tendency to pile in when a blue is on.

This represents a vast contrast from the culture of AFL, where the people of Melbourne and Victoria will pull together for the good of the game whenever there is a scandal. There is a certain smugness about AFL, the way it looks down its nose at league as having a monopoly on bad behaviour, when the truth is that Aussie rules has also had its fair share of abysmal conduct.

Indeed over the past few years the St Kilda Football Club alone has almost matched the whole of the NRL for shabbiness.

The difference is that, in Melbourne, the public and media are much less up for seeing their beloved game being torn apart, while in Sydney the aggro is taken as a given.

Against this backdrop you would have to argue that Gallop’s job brought with it the highest degree of difficulty for any sports administrator in the land. The remarkable thing is that, for all the crises that pockmarked his 10-year stint at the top of the game, league is in remarkably good shape: worth a motza in the TV rights, strong attendances, holding its own in the hotly contested heartland of western Sydney.

Gallop deserves serious credit for sailing through this near-permanent chaos and keeping the code not just viable but robust. As a Sydney-based sports administrator he was also quite unlike Sydney in that he was always calm and level-headed and laid-back when those around him were going spare.

The one sure thing about holding a top job, as he did, is that you know it will never last forever. While the circumstances of his departure will have hurt and angered him he will come out of it all with his dignity intact, and eminently employable.He could do worse than start a PR firm called Shitstorm Communications, where he advises people on how to keep their heads when all around them appears lost.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
He is still being dishonest about the beat ups. They don't push negative stories about RL to prove how independent they are - they run those stories to sell papers. They will cannibalise the sport they part own to make more money. Would they admit to that however? No, because then they can't pretend to be noble.

Brutus

Referee
Why doesn't anyone feel just as sorry for the AFL CEO who had to deal with just as many atrocities...

not to mention the fact that Foxsports owned by News Ltd could benefit by bad publicity so they could pay less for the paytv rights.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
He is still being dishonest about the beat ups. They don't push negative stories about RL to prove how independent they are - they run those stories to sell papers. They will cannibalise the sport they part own to make more money. Would they admit to that however? No, because then they can't pretend to be noble.

spot on. they actually went harder at league because controversy sold papers. the more shit they could stir up the more crap they could write which would sell which would continue to put league in the spotlight

spot on. they actually went harder at league because controversy sold papers. the more shit they could stir up the more crap they could write which would sell which would continue to put league in the spotlight

the money is in website traffic these days.

despite the hate, there are still lots of numpty league followers, and also, LU members who continue to click onto the DT and other News Ltd websites and links. even most discussion on these forums are triggered by news ltd article and links. they take this website traffic data to advertisers and this sets the advertising fees and premiums on their sites.

the nuffies who deride the organisation are the ones who keep going back for the next instalment and making them a buck.

news ltd continue to :lol: all the way to the bank.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Sounds like another ruse to me. Penberthy has been sent out to appear as one of the 'good guys' of the organisation, but real reasons will always remain hidden.

Never will we hear of the investment News Ltd. have made in ozzie rules, confirming their real wish for a 'one-code nation'. Added to this the very fact that none of the 'journos' appear to have any real interest or love for the game, and use the 'scandals' as a way to sell papers, make website hits and further their own careers.

Some other thoughts of mine from another thread:

In saying that though it is troublesome for me the way they can influence the opinions of a large number of their minions.

Of particular concern is the 'poor quality football' line being run this year. Through my eyes, I've seen no evidence that this is the case. But because a few Channel Nine commentators had problems with the games they covered, and made it known in their narrowcast, other media outlets jump on the bandwagon. Of course, they can't think or analyse for themselves so they let Phil Gould and Ray Warren do that for them. The news limited press ran with it and then all of a sudden we saw it regurgitated elsewhere.

One only need to take a look at The Roar to see evidence of this.

I expect to see the quality of footy downplayed more as this season progresses. It is an obvious line of attack now they no longer have control of the game and are looking to find weakness in the administration, with their boy now removed.

I'm loathe to use an example from ozzie rules, but I think once the income stream is strengthened, then more ruthless dealings with the media need to be made, as is the case in that game. News ltd. 'journos' need to be made known that they will be unwelcome at official RL functions if they continue to attack the game. It is probably the only implementation from the ozzie rules that I'd like to see in our game.

typicalfan

Coach
Our game is luckily too resilient to be beaten by such beat ups. Rugby League sells in any form whether it be on the field or off the field.

I think in some ways that is why News could do it, it is like punching a boxing bag that spits dollar bills every time you throw a haymaker. Every time an incident happens it gives networks an excuse to drive dollars down but these things don't affect viewership.

But the media don't just do it to Rugby League, look at the swimming mess recently I mean taking a photo with guns lol. What is the world coming to.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
Our game is luckily too resilient to be beaten by such beat ups. Rugby League sells in any form whether it be on the field or off the field.

I think in some ways that is why News could do it, it is like punching a boxing bag that spits dollar bills every time you throw a haymaker. Every time an incident happens it gives networks an excuse to drive dollars down but these things don't affect viewership.

But the media don't just do it to Rugby League, look at the swimming mess recently I mean taking a photo with guns lol. What is the world coming to.

The Herald Sun website's front page had the swimmers with guns story plus the two Wallabies in bar fight story up at the same time. Short of winning a gold medal those two sports never get on the front page of the HS. AFL players in bar fights don't get the front page coverage but rugby players & swimmers do. No one in Melbourne even knew who Beale & Cooper are.

typicalfan

Coach
The Herald Sun website's front page had the swimmers with guns story plus the two Wallabies in bar fight story up at the same time. Short of winning a gold medal those two sports never get on the front page of the HS. AFL players in bar fights don't get the front page coverage but rugby players & swimmers do. No one in Melbourne even knew who Beale & Cooper are.
Honestly I think those sorts of articles are attempts to raise profile because without the guns "incident" no one would be caring about the swimming at the Olympics. Gone are the days that the Olympics had a massive profile just for being.

When it happens to Rugby League it works in reverse. Articles are designed to create interest for the paper or the journalist at the expense of RL.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
From what you read it is hard to believe that most league journos are league fans. Do they come out of Uni as a qualified sports journalist and then take whatever job they can get so end up covering league? Reading AFL journos you know they have been AFL fans since school. Same with cricket, rugby, soccer & NFL.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Well Rothfield is a sharks supporter...but knows shit about the game...

Didnt even know who the sharks were playing on the Weekend, as didnt bother showing up even though he has season tickets.

Blamed it on origin stars being out, but more than likely turned off by the weather (even though it cleared up for the game).

typicalfan

Coach
A lot of journos I imagine a Rugby fans in Sydney, I have known a few that worked for News who are. This is going back 8-10 years now I can't imagine much has changed. I remember one talking to me about the Wallabies back when Rogers, Sailor and Tuqiri were in RU. He had no idea even about RU but he was clearly more of a fan... I just agreed to be nice.

If there is any Legal Eagles here they Might be able to anwer this......... Now that this Smoker has come out and admitted this, Does the ARLC have a leg to stand on to sue for damages to the Game, that this BS May have caused

Thanks

docbrown

Coach
If there is any Legal Eagles here they Might be able to anwer this......... Now that this Smoker has come out and admitted this, Does the ARLC have a leg to stand on to sue for damages to the Game, that this BS May have caused

Thanks

Well I'm no lawyer but from experience libel is hard to fight in court. They can fall back on the "well it actually happened excuse".

However, whenever a News Limited journo has a whinge about access to players or being left out of the loop, it should be thrown back in their faces.

Latest posts