What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Designated tacklers for skill positions

T-Boon

Coach
We could take the wrestle out of the game by stopping every time someone gets tackled, maybe even give the attacking team 40 seconds to prepare the next attacking play

that would be better than what we have. But a 15 seconds play clock would be enough and it would only be slightly longer than wrestling produces now.

T boon buddy, 11 a side with a five metre defensive line is the way we should go. I like the fact that everyone has to defend. I'm a small former half-back (168cm), and accept that a good big one will beat a small good one, it hurts me sometimes, but...

Still have four on the bench, 10 interchanges. Make em run more in training and spend no time lifting really heavy weights, do weights yes, but not...

T-Boon

Coach
People only like to watch other people who look like them

Righto

If they are deciding between two sports they like they are probably going to lean towards the one the might have a chance of playing. That is one of the ways AFL is going to be growing in NSW.

T-Boon

Coach
I like the fact that everyone has to defend. I'm a small former half-back (168cm), and accept that a good big one will beat a small good one, it hurts me sometimes, but...

I like it as well.

It was great back in the day watching a little Toovey bring a big dude down in a text book tackle if he needed to. This was back in the days when the forwards predominantly played against the forwards and they were only slightly larger than the average human. And boot-lace tackles were good tackles. In those days little guys had half a chance.

With designated tacklers for skill positions we would have a heap of those crazy skilled Aboriginal kids in the game plus PNGs and little white dudes. Lets get it done.

OVP

Coach
If they are deciding between two sports they like they are probably going to lean towards the one the might have a chance of playing. That is one of the ways AFL is going to be growing in NSW.

I don't know about that. I don't see many stick insect-like people with 1 metre long necks tripping over their own feet around Sydney.

T boon, the late David Myers and M offiah at the Sydney sevens in 92. Suppose it was done during the unlimited interchange era too. Size is important in sport, breed with people who are from different cultures, that might help.

T-Boon

Coach
Don't forget this would prolong the careers of the most skilful "bums on seats" guys as well.

That attacking rugby league maestro Chris Sandow would still be running amuck.

T-Boon

Coach
Imagine how much better the skill position player attacking skills would be if they could focus all their attention on their main job - attack. And how much better they would need to be with all the competition from the little guys who otherwise would have dropped out of the game aged 13 and gone to touch footy or AFL.

Actually the job of the designated tackler would be pretty cool as well. He would have to bring some sick tackling skills to warrant his position above all the other DTs (remember this guy is not eligible to run the ball, except probably picking up a spilt ball). Who would have made great DTs in their career?

Nathan Hindmarsh towards the end would have been a good DT. Pretty useless with the ball in his hands but excellent defensive skills. I think a good DT would have to be able to complete tackles at a 100% rate, be dominant in tackles, would need to be able to rake the ball out, not give away penalties and maybe even take interceptions and cover tackles, maybe charge downs as well.

This has got to equal bums on seats.

Someguy

First Grade
So won't these defensive replacements just reduce the effectiveness of the small attacking player from the opposition team?

T boon, it would be a farce at times, 6 running on, 6 coming off, flip no, it would look like a scene from a Benny Hill show on sum occasions.

T-Boon

Coach
T boon, it would be a farce at times, 6 running on, 6 coming off, flip no, it would look like a scene from a Benny Hill show on sum occasions.

That can be looked at over time, something like: the changes can only occur at the start of each change of possession - you can't run the players out willy nilly. For instance after a kick at the completion of the 1st tackle have a 15 second interchange break.

DTs for skill positions is just an option the game has. With all the concern about concussions and the safety first mothering of children which is only going to increase in the future. Or if our crowds do continue to dwindle and TV money starts drying up. It is a trick we have up our sleeve.