What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do NRL Referees know the rules?

snickers007

Juniors
So lets talk about that Panthers v Broncos game, and the fact that the top referee in the NRL doesn't know the laws of the game.

I'm not talking about the Tamou no try (which was a terrible decision) but the farcical scenes at the end of the match while Kahu was trying to convert Gilletts try.

Section 6. Rule 9 states that:
When a kick at goal is being taken following a try...players of the kickers team must be behind the ball.

Pretty straight forward.

Yet we have Gerard Sutton tell the Broncos players that they can 'do whatever you like' or something to that effect.

NO!

Tell them to get behind the kicker! f**king hell, do you seriously not know this rule?

Luckily the kick missed, but just imagine if it goes over, and the Broncos sneak into the Top 8 on F/A because of it?

I wonder if Tony Archer will address this later, or just sweep it under the rug as usual.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Similar to last week, when BJ and the Canberra players were mouthing off at Walker, and inside the 10m.

I doubt the ref would have allowed a re-take if he missed..

And probably would have been within the rights of sinbinning/warning players for professional fouls.

This Year?

Immortal
I hate that offside and inside the 10 and passive rule.

How can someone that's offside and inside the 10 be "passive"? He's still offside ffs.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
So lets talk about that Panthers v Broncos game, and the fact that the top referee in the NRL doesn't know the laws of the game.

I'm not talking about the Tamou no try (which was a terrible decision) but the farcical scenes at the end of the match while Kahu was trying to convert Gilletts try.

Section 6. Rule 9 states that:
When a kick at goal is being taken following a try...players of the kickers team must be behind the ball.

Pretty straight forward.

Yet we have Gerard Sutton tell the Broncos players that they can 'do whatever you like' or something to that effect.

NO!

Tell them to get behind the kicker! f**king hell, do you seriously not know this rule?

Luckily the kick missed, but just imagine if it goes over, and the Broncos sneak into the Top 8 on F/A because of it?

I wonder if Tony Archer will address this later, or just sweep it under the rug as usual.

on one hand, I'm not sure how the players standing there helps him to kick that, if anything it makes it harder. Surely the referee has some discretion in those circumstances, the game was over.

on the other hand, f**k the Broncos