What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

do the dragons deserve their finals position?

analyst

Juniors
I think the only teams which should be allowed to loss 1 match in the finals are teams in the top 4, if the dragons are allowed to play again then the system shows that teams who perform terrible can still continue to play finals football and how can that be a good thing? I think when it comes to finals footy teams outside the top 4 should have to win everymatch in a row to win the premiership.

Think about how dominant the tigers were in the second half, they were all over the dragons and deserve to continue in the finals because they were directly responsible for their good result

on the flip side...

because of results which the dragons are not responsible for they can still play a part in the finals even after a poor performance, in other words they played poorly but can still continue based on just luck and chance not based on their own redemption.

Tigers are allowed to continue in the finals based on their own effort and redemption in the second half, but the dragons can continue now regardless of their intentions.

I know there is an arguement to be made either way but I would like to see only top quality matches being played in the finals and if the dragons are limping into another match off the back of a loss and are just there based on luck and other results can they justify being so deep into the tournament?

Imagine the dragons playing another finals match off the back of a loss and going up againts a team who has thrashed their previous opponent ,can fans then anticipate a closely contested match up?, shouldnt winners be harder to pick the deeper you go into the finals?

thommo4pm

Coach
Think about how dominant the Tigers were, and we only lost by a small margin.
Do they deserve to be kicked out?
They finished 5th and deserve the chance to have another crack if results fall their way this weekend.

And using the logic in the original post, what happens if all bottom 4 teams lose in week 1 under the current system?

Do we only have 4 teams left in the finals series come week 2?

Slammin

Juniors
Personally I'd rather not 2nd chances in the finals and all games are eliminations starting with 1v8 2v7 3v6 4v5

But that is only 3 weeks of finals footy so in my perfect world the grand final would be the best of three and the third game only played if required which would leave us with minimum 4 weeks of finals football or possibly a 5th.

Jason Maher

Immortal
We amassed 33 points over the length of the season. Newcastle amassed 28. The answer to your question is self-evident from this.

By the by, were you wondering the same things when we belted Melbourne in 1999 and Brisbane in 2006, on their respective home grounds?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think the bigger issue is the lack of threads discussing the finals system and whether the dragons choke or not.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
I love how these threads come about because it was the Dragons that lost.

The only way your logic works is if they use the AFL model. So the Dragons would of been playing Newcastle not Tigers. I agree that is a much better setup.

It makes no sense that the Warriors get a home game next week if they beat the Broncos tonight and they finished 6th!

Shame the NRL will never change it.

user_nat

Coach
They aren't the first team to have a pretty average game in week 1 and get a second chance.
Look at the Cowboys in 05..

Eelectrica

Referee
It'll be fun watching 'em again next week. Taking penalty shots instead of trying to knock out an oppenent thats down then they wonder at the end how they lost.

analyst

Juniors
Think about how dominant the Tigers were, and we only lost by a small margin.
Do they deserve to be kicked out?
They finished 5th and deserve the chance to have another crack if results fall their way this weekend.

And using the logic in the original post, what happens if all bottom 4 teams lose in week 1 under the current system?

Do we only have 4 teams left in the finals series come week 2?

obviously we would, wouldnt that make for a tighter finals? at least on paper having all top 4 teams up againts each other?, some years the finals would be longer and other years shorter depending on results, if teams ranked 5,6,7,8 are good enough they will extend the finals by refusing to loss.

minichiello

Juniors
It'll be fun watching 'em again next week. Taking penalty shots instead of trying to knock out an oppenent thats down then they wonder at the end how they lost.

The funniest thing is Soward can't even kick goals anymore his confidence is that low. I wish they had a player cam on him all game so you can see him calling "Wayne please don't leave me :("