What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does a POOL Plan work in the USA/Canada for 2021, as a "Plan B"

spinnerhowland

Juniors
This may not work for what MSI's goals are, I don’t know them, nor have I seen their bid. But I have tried all week to shoot holes in this plan, based on what I can see from operational needs, and best chance of ROI. I can't find a lot of big downsides to this as a "PLAN B", if of course MSI is interested, and the RLIF can be convinced to consider, IF the main event is going to the UK. REMEMBER, the 2017 World Cup is being played in THREE NATIONS, as is this Plan B.

Other than the Full WC finals, this "Pool Plan" gives everything needed from Marketing, TV, big name RL Nations, the RLIF the reach they want into North America, less venues to find, less time and games to manage, is a LOT less expensive to operate, and thus less dollars to secure. And it takes away a lot of the "Perceived Risk" that the RLIF and general global RL community MAY have about walking away from "profit dollars" from hosting in the UK.

Have the cake, and eat it.

And for clarity, I fully assume and expect MSI are in the business of making a profit, and providing a return from the event puts money back to the RLIF, I certainly agree with MSI taking their fair portion of profits as the event organizers. That is how they make a living after all. I also support their current bid for the FULL WC if it is considered better than the UK bid.

Based on my VERY ASSUMPTIVE vision of where RL will be in 2021, here we go with one example of “Plan B”.

(*teams are assumptions or examples, and I am guessing on some details.)

I know some are going to want games on the West Coast, and some will want more in Canada, etc. So this is one plan, that at least can keep "Most of the People Happy, Most of the Time"

PLEASE SHOOT HOLES IN IT, because I cannot find many. (and yes I know the USA and the other North American Qualifier get the better of the schedule by not having back to back games, but it works based on listed vision for largest attendances.

And yes, if the USA and the 4th Nation make the Quarters, then they need to jump on a plane quickly, but will also assume they get a later Quarter Final game date.

1) Assumption the 2021 RLWC will be 16 nations split into 4 pools of 4

2) Australia, New Zealand, England and one other (France?) will be in separate pools to ensure the 4 biggest Global teams reach the Quarters (top 2 from each pool go thru)

3) Australia or New Zealand (NZ) bring a global name within the sport to give marketing the highest level opportunity to capture US Rugby interest, AND Global/US TV. And either can travel to the USA as a "Halfway" stopping point on their way to the UK.

4) Assuming the USA gets auto bid as host nation, Canada might be added as either "co-host" or one of the extra 2 teams to get to 16. (*Could also be Jamaica via Americas Qualification Region)

5) Even with Jamaica as the other "Americas" Qualifier, putting Australia or NZ in Toronto, would be a big draw and does not affect USA games in the USA.

6) Assuming the Toronto Wolfpack is a success (no reason to think they won't be) the RL Market in Toronto will be good by 2021

7) If a solid plan for the full RLWC in 2021 can be formulated, this Pool Plan should be easier to operate, and maybe even give better PERCENTAGE on ROI, with actual lower capital needed. *Sure it will not bring the actual dollars, but maybe higher %.

Why these Cities overall:

1) All 4 have direct flights in and out to UK and most other Northern Hemisphere nations, AND direct flights from the West Coast for arriving teams. Only one layover to destination.

2) Suitable venues and known Rugby Communities (League and/or Union)

3) Are major global names, with large TV Markets and lots of International demographics from known RL nations

4) East coast allows access for a European Team and their fans if they are 4th team

5) Fans from Australia or NZ need to come via the East Coast if they follow their team to the UK for the finals. (West Coast only advantage is very small percentage who were "in and out" for 1 game)

6) 2/3rds of the US Population lives from Chicago to the East Coast

7) Gives the most Americans the chance to see their home team play (All USA pool games in the USA) based on geographical population

dirol.gif
Given current domestic Rugby League operations are on the East Coast, the RLIF may look at this as the most secure option to support known USARL growth, given the award will be done November of THIS YEAR.

9) For fans who want to do a sports tour, all Cities are global, and have lots to offer in international interest

10) All on East Coast for operational travel, and within 1 hour of same time zones for international TV Broadcast consideration (UK and AUS/NZ)

Orlando:

1) Start in the South where all teams will spend the most time to acclimate, because everything is less expensive in the South. Accommodation, etc.

2) Orlando is within 3 hours of Miami, Jacksonville, Daytona Beach and Tampa. Large Statewide Market with multiple International attractions, and big population. (Over 20 Million live in the state)

3) By 2021 the 3 Florida Amateur teams will have grown to support across the state. They are all very secure in their operations modeled off 10 years of Axemen success, at the current level of USARL teamoperations

4) Each team can be based for "Camp" in FL cites to maximize interest. Jacksonville, Tampa, Miami and Orlando.

5) Orlando gives traveling fans a week full of entertainment: Disney, Universal, Kennedy Space Center, Daytona Speedway, etc. And a 3 hour drive from Miami for South beach.

6) Direct flights from/to Canada, West Coast, and onwards to next Pool City

7) State of Florida has good history of investing in sporting events for tourism

New York:

1) TV Market, Global Brand, etc. are all obvious. The most famous City name in the USA.

2) Huge Drivable geographical market all within 4 hours. DC all the way to Boston, and there are lots of transport options within that market for fans. Road, Rail, Bus, etc. There are approx. 45 Million people living within 4 hours of NYC.

3) 10 current USARL Teams within this 4 hour market who by 2021 will be a bigger supporting help

4) Multiple Worldwide corp. headquarters to attract potential international sponsor dollars

Chicago:

1) TV Market, Global Brand, etc. are all obvious. Much the same as NYC in many ways.

2) Has proven to support a big name "one off" Rugby event with the All Blacks game in 2014

3) Currently the most likely next expansion region for the USARL is the Midwest with Chicago already hosting development games (This looks good to the RLIF as well)

Toronto: *If not an option, then 2nd game in Chicago would be next best option to attract Canadian fans)

1) Toronto Wolfpack will have grown RL interest for 4 years by this stage

2) Australian or NZ team will be a big draw with Commonwealth connection, even if Canada is not involved

3) If Jamaica replaced Canada, still a Commonwealth nation and good Jamaican population in Toronto

4) Certain the RFL would love this based on their Wolfpack support into UK Competition next year

5) Brings Canadian TV into play that could open up more dollars, more sponsors, etc.

The Schedule:

1) Opens with a game the USA will be very competitive in. Sets the perception of serious chance in following two games, to increase attendance moving forward

2) No team is playing more than 2 games in a row

3) Canada or Jamaica leaves for Toronto after game 3 to maximize local Toronto PR and Marketing in lead up

4) Only two of the four teams need "Long" International flights to get to the USA. (Less dollars needed)

5) Only two teams will need ongoing flights to the UK as part of the quarter finals

6) Gives the pool favorite (Aus or NZ) extra days to arrive in the UK for the quarters by flying from Toronto after game 5

7) The least attractive game is Canada/Jam vs. 4th Nation, and New York is the best City for largest population of any possible country

dirol.gif
USA playing in the last Pool game, gives best chance of it being the decider of who the 2nd Quarter finalist will be, to make relevant for larger attendance

USA v Canada/Jamaica
Orlando

Australia or NZ v 4th Nation
Orlando

Canada/Jamaica v 4th Nation
New York

USA v Australia or NZ
New York

Australia or NZ v Canada/Jam
TORONTO

USA v 4th Nation
Chicago

adamkungl

Immortal
It's an option. My only criticisms would distance, and that one quarter of a WC is less marketable than a WC.

I was thinking about how I'd organise a US tournament..

I'd probably stick with the 3-3-1-1 qualifying Super pool format for the first 16 team WC, then move to a 2-2-2-2 in 2025. It attracts some criticism but it works for the level we're at now.

Pools would resemble
A: Aus, Eng, Canada, USA
B: NZ, Samoa, PNG, Tonga
C: France, Fiji, Lebanon, Italy
D: Wales, Scotland, Ireland, South Africa

Regions played would be something like:
West Coast: SF, LA, Seattle
East Coast North: NYC, Pittsburgh, Chicago
East Coast South: Jacksonville, Atlanta, Orlando
Canada: Toronto, Vancouver

Pools B, C, D would be based in each of the first 3 regions.
Pool A, Canada plays all 3 games in Canada. Remaining 3 games played 1 in each region, Australia and England should be the largest draws aside from USA and Canada.

Quarters and Semis spread across each region.

Final in Vegas.

Last edited:

spinnerhowland

Juniors
It's an option. My only criticisms would distance, and that one quarter of a WC is less marketable than a WC.

I was thinking about how I'd organise a US tournament..

I'd probably stick with the 3-3-1-1 qualifying Super pool format for the first 16 team WC, then move to a 2-2-2-2 in 2025. It attracts some criticism but it works for the level we're at now.

Pools would resemble
A: Aus, Eng, Canada, USA
B: NZ, Samoa, PNG, Tonga
C: France, Fiji, Lebanon, Italy
D: Wales, Scotland, Ireland, South Africa

Regions played would be something like:
West Coast: SF, LA
East Coast North: NYC, Philly, Chicago
East Coast South: Jacksonville, Atlanta, Orlando
Canada: Toronto, Vancouver

Pools B, C, D would be based in each of the first 3 regions.
Pool A, Canada plays all 3 games in Canada. Remaining 3 games played 1 in each region, Australia and England should be the largest draws aside from USA and Canada.

Quarters and Semis spread across each region.

Final in Vegas.

BUT either the FULL WC Bid, or an option if interested has to be SOLD to the RLIF by this November. 3 months away. You need to think about what is real now, not what might happen 5 years from now.
For the future vision some of your cities are too close and are missing out of some big populations if you are going to spread it that wide. And Toronto to Vancouver is further than Cairns to Perth.

adamkungl

Immortal
BUT either the FULL WC Bid, or an option if interested has to be SOLD to the RLIF by this November. 3 months away. You need to think about what is real now, not what might happen 5 years from now.
For the future vision some of your cities are too close and are missing out of some big populations if you are going to spread it that wide. And Toronto to Vancouver is further than Cairns to Perth.

Yeah for sure.

As for the cities, swap and change as necessary, I don't know enough about the US to get it right, but my general idea would be to have pools based in a particular region so we don't have 16 teams flying across the country every week (like 2017). Travel costs is something we can influence and keep low without really losing much.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
There will be super pools.

England and Australia will be drawn in the same super pool, as Oz are the biggest draw. The only way to get 40k+ in the pool stages.

Can leave NZ plus the rest, but they are not going to have a super pool full of 70-0 slaughters.

Best bet is next best draw. I'd go Fiji, they play exciting football in attack, hit big, have that evangelical stuff that will drive northern Florida wild.

Make Fiji-USA as first pool game in Orlando, good press for start. Then who us the fourth, someone with a bit of global prestige.

Spain? Wales for rugby recognition? A south American qualifier? Russia for president Trump's second term?

Say Russia.

USA-Russia in Boston
USA-Canada in Chicago

Russia-Fiji in NY

Canada vs Russia and Fiji, both in Toronto.

Winner flies to England for the quarters.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Russia is s good 4th team. New Zealand (or Aus) is a MUST have for this to work to get US TV and Capture the domestic Rugby Market. (Without one of them it is not going to work)
5 games need to stay in the USA.
Without Canada only one game at most to Toronto.
NY and Boston are too close, and wasting market reach geographically. 3 hr from Boston to NYC and a regular drive for major events.
Fiji would also work as they are a big "Rugby" name in the USA/

It would work with New Zealand as the known powerhouse.
Russia in as 4th team.
USA must play all games in USA (South/NYC/Chicago)
Fiji is a good replacement for Canada or Jamaica.

jim_57

Staff member
I do agree with fixing the pools to ensure good match ups so long as it is relatively fair. However no team should be given a spot in the World Cup, should have to qualify so Russia is probably unlikely. In saying that there are plenty of countries that would fit the bill no matter who qualifies.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
I do agree with fixing the pools to ensure good match ups so long as it is relatively fair. However no team should be given a spot in the World Cup, should have to qualify so Russia is probably unlikely. In saying that there are plenty of countries that would fit the bill no matter who qualifies.
Yes, but you do see that a pool played in the USA, or the RLWC for that matter, would not succeed without the home team.
And at least one of the BIG 3 is needed to make it relate to the sport anywhere.
Having the RLWC in the UK without England, NZ or OZ, would not make it viable either.

adamkungl

Immortal
No problem with the hosts being given an automatic spot.

Hence why my pool A in a US WC would be Aus v NZ or Eng v USA v Canada.
2 of the biggest RL nations + 2 for the home crowd.

jim_57

Staff member
Of course the host nation should be auto-qualifiers, just saying I don't think you could plan on having any fringe team like Russia there, they have to qualify which is unlikely.