What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons close in on Nene MacDonald

getsmarty

Immortal
Yep, tend to agree. Nighty might be tapped on the shoulder. No disgrace if that happens. He will always remain a club legend and 2010 GF is forever marked down in history with a double from Nighty.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Frizzell
Thompson
Packer
AhMau
JDB
Bench: mose, sims, leilua, kerr/host
Size, mongrel, speed, agression!!!
Good thing to look forward to.

Unless you have cam smith in your team, you need a utility on the bench. You'll find most teams do, even teams with dominant spines like the cowboys.
Or at the very worst, there's someone else in the forwards who can play some 9 to give the rake a break.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
JDB needs to lift if he wants to continue to hold a spot in the starting side, or even the 17 in general. He's got Leilua, Sims and Host breathing down his neck.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Sound like Nightingale confirmed Nene has signed when Maroon said to him we have signed him. He didn't deny it.

Mr Red

First Grade
If this nene kid turns out to be exceptional, I see no issue with tapping nighty on the shoulder. Look at Parker at the broncs or Perret at the dogs. We really need to smarten up about how we run our footy team. Not having a go at you Red,mI actually agree with a lot of what you say, but not in this instance.

I have no probs with your perspective here , does make sense however for me if nighty wants to play on let form decide who gets first grade. I would rather have nighty as a squad player to cover for injuries if he's interested in that, and let KFFL leave if it was up to me...

BringTheNoise

Juniors
This is an interesting thread. For the better part of the season I've been reading plenty of people on here complaining about the lack of strike power out wide. Now people are claiming this guy is surplus to our needs?

With the exception of Milne who has earned his shot, I don't think any of our outside backs are bullet proof at this point. Bring on some genuine competition for spots.

And yes I agree our biggest problems are the hooker/halves positions, but none of our centre/wingers have set the world on fire this year.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If confirmed this is good for the Dragons.

However, he still needs to get fitter and by that I mean aerobic fitness (several times today he was blowing like old steam train) and needs to tighten up his defense as he gets caught on the outside quite often.

Other than that he's got good pace, and good under the high ball in defense and attack.

Mann definitely to 5/8 and Widdop to 7.

Like your thinking. But if playing in 6 needs to be able to kick at least sometimes.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Like your thinking. But if playing in 6 needs to be able to kick at least sometimes.

From what I've read he played a fair bit in the halves in Q Cup when he wasn't playing for the Storm. So one would assume he has some skill in kicking. Give him the pre-season and if we get Cleary he can refine those skills. Even Matty Head could give him some pointers.

giboz71

First Grade
I'm really starting to like Mann more and more. Has done nothing wrong in the last 5-6 weeks and has been the shining light in a poor team. He's turned into a great finisher and been as steady as a rock defensively.

Still trying to work out what's his best position. He's made a good fist of wing, but feel he's wasted out there. I'd be trialling a wing pair of MacDonald and Dufty for next year.

FB or 5/8 could be an option, but what do we do with Dugan and Widdop?

Wherever he plays, he must be in the 17 somewhere. A backline containing Duges, Mann, Milne, Aitken, Dufty and Nene suddenly looks pretty potent.

BennyV

Referee
Would not be putting Widdop to half. He's a 6 or a 1. But if he's a 6, he needs a fairly dominant half with a good kicking, passing and organising game. Don't know if Mann will fit that criteria.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I'm really starting to like Mann more and more. Has done nothing wrong in the last 5-6 weeks and has been the shining light in a poor team. He's turned into a great finisher and been as steady as a rock defensively.

Still trying to work out what's his best position. He's made a good fist of wing, but feel he's wasted out there. I'd be trialling a wing pair of MacDonald and Dufty for next year.

FB or 5/8 could be an option, but what do we do with Dugan and Widdop?

Wherever he plays, he must be in the 17 somewhere. A backline containing Duges, Mann, Milne, Aitken, Dufty and Nene suddenly looks pretty potent.

What do you thing of this mann at 6 widdop to7 duges at 1 his best position and the best for the team in my option