What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons girls are into the grand final

Dragon David

First Grade
We must stop there forwards. Broncos forward are strong especially Peters.
If we can stop there go forward pur backline will do the rest.
These Broncos girl will be extremely tough.
I agree Dragonsamy. The Broncos girls are tough, they beat us in the first round, a couple of their tries barging over close to our line, but I have a strong feeling that we will turn it around. Heres hoping!

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2019: Jess Sergis receives Dally M Female Player of the Year medal
Local Sport
r0_142_7123_4352_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HAPPY DRAGON: Jess Sergis proudly holds her Dally M female player of the year medal on Wednesday night. Picture: Grant Trouville/NRL Imagery
Jess Sergis has praised her Dragons team mates after receiving NRLW's most prestigious individual honour on Wednesday night.

The Dragons centre was named the Dally M Female Player of the Year at NRL's night of nights at Hodern Pavilion.

Sergis, 22, is the second NRLW player to receive the honour after Brittany Breayley (Brisbane Broncos) won the medal last year.

Sergis told the Mercury that she was "still buzzing" after taking out the medal and it was great reward for the whole team.

"I did not expect it at all," she said.

"It's massive, not just for me but for my team mates as well.

"I wouldn't be standing on that stage last night if it wasn't for them. I've played my best footy here, we've bonded so well."

In her medal acceptance speech, Sergis said she remained focused on this weekend's grand final against Brisbane.

"We've worked so hard to get into that grand final this Sunday," she said.

"We've got one more week together and one more game together. I can't wait to get that premiership."

I wouldn't be standing on that stage if it wasn't for my team mates.

Jess Sergis
Sergis had represented the Jillaroos and played State of Origin when she signed for the Dragons last year.

She made her NRLW debut after a frustrating run with injuries, but has gone to a new level in 2019.

Sergis played alongside Kezie Apps for Helensburgh in the Illawarra league, scoring 32 tries in 10 games, and was part of NSW's winning Origin side.

She then scored three tries and made 21 tackle breaks during the NRLW season and was a key factor in the Dragons' push towards the title.

Sergis' standout performance came last week when she scored two tries to guide her side to a 24-16 win over the Roosters to book a spot on grand final day.

"To play this sport, you need your body and I took that for granted last year," Sergis said.

"My goal coming in this year was to look after myself and it had paid off for me."

Congratulations to Jessica Sergis, the 2019 #DallyM Female Player of the Year! pic.twitter.com/JIn6eKPwTn

— Women's Rugby League (@WRugbyLeague) October 2, 2019
Sergis thanked her family and her partner, Dragons NRL player Zac Lomax for their ongoing support.

"They've supported me the whole way and I love them lots," she said.

Dragons NRLW coach Daniel Lacey said Sergis had been in great form this season and deserved the medal.

"I'm really happy for Jess and it's given us a boost for this weekend," he said.

"She's a really balanced athlete and really strong, but she's also got that mongrel in her that's hard to contain.

"I'm really happy that she's on our team and not the opposition."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...lly-m-female-player-of-the-year-medal/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Rejuvenated Studdon chasing grand prize in NRL Women's decider
Dragons Den
r0_186_4406_2722_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Hitting her straps: Maddie Studdon has led the Dragons to the NRLW grand final. Picture: NRL Imagery/Grant Trouville.
When the Roosters ran out for the 2018 NRL Women's grand final, there was one notable player missing.

Maddie Studdon.

The NSW captain, Studdon was signed by the Roosters to lead the team to premiership glory.

But come grand final day, the halfback couldn't even crack the 17.

So instead of playing on rugby league's biggest day, Studdon watched on as her team was defeated.

What followed was a period of soul searching before she ultimately made the move to the Dragons.

Studdon will finally get her chance at grand final glory on Sunday when she runs on to ANZ Stadium for St George Illawarra's clash with the Broncos.

It's a moment she's been looking forward to for a long time.

"I've worked really hard on my game this year and to get all the way, it's awesome," Studdon said. "This is what I really wanted, to be in the starting side for the NRLW and that's what I have for the Dragons.

"We've got one more to go, we've got to really dig deep in this hard week coming up. We've still got a lot of things to fix up and we'll definitely learn from Sunday's game.

"Playing a grand final on ANZ Stadium right before the men, it's going to be a great crowd. It's going to be awesome."

Studdon's form since she signed with the Dragons has been superb.

After leading the NSW Blues to State of Origin glory in June, and picking up player of the match honours in the process, the halfback has played a crucial role in helping St George Illawarra progress to this week's decider.

Read more: St George Illawarra trio earn representative honours

The round one struggles have been replaced by quality attack, with Studdon forming a superb combination with halves partner Keeley Davis in the last two weeks.

The Dragons fell to Brisbane in their opening-round clash, however they have improved with each performance and Studdon is confident her side can knock off the defending premiers.

"We're playing a lot better than in round one. We've worked on our combinations, we've changed up our gameplan a little bit and we just know it's a simple game.

"We all run the right lines and go off each other. We've got a great team here and we're all bonding really well."

The week ahead will mark foreign territory for many in the St George Illawarra side, as they prepare for the club's first women's grand final.

Having been a member of the Roosters squad in 2018, Studdon is prepared for the unique challenges and extra commitments that grand final week throws up.

The number one message she has for her teammates is to enjoy the week and everything that pops up along the way.

"Just take it as it comes and enjoy the week," Studdon said. "You've got to enjoy it because there is a lot of pressure and outside noise, but you've just got to forget about that stuff and remember why you're doing this and who you're doing it for.

"You need to focus on playing your own footy game, not going away from anything that we're doing here now."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ng-grand-prize-in-nrl-womens-decider/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Holli Wheeler hoping for a NRLW premiership with St George
  • Women in Sport
    r0_34_1086_645_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Holli Wheeler will play lock for St George in Sunday's NRLW grand final against Brisbane. Photo NRL Photos.
    HOLLI Wheeler will be aiming to win her second premiership in a year on Sunday when she lines up for St George-Illawarra in the NRLW grand final against Brisbane at ANZ Stadium.

Earlier in the season Wheeler, 29, originally from Old Bar near Taree, NSW, was named player of the match when CRL Newcastle defeated Mounties in the NSW Women's Premiership decider, also at ANZ Stadium. This was before the start of the second NRLW premiership.

A former Australian Country hockey representative, Wheeler only started playing rugby league in 2018 following a suggestion from Country Rugby League women's participation officer Kylie Hilder, who lives down the road at Forster.

Wheeler and Hilder played hockey together and league tag against each other. They were team-mates at CRL Newcastle and the Country representative side and also in the NSW State of Origin clash this year. Wheeler made her Origin and Australian debuts last year.

Now Wheeler, who now lives in Newcastle, will be lock for St George-Illawarra in the NRLW grand final against defending champions, Brisbane.

The Broncos won the inaugural NRLW grand final last year. Saints only won one game in 2018.

r0_8_1200_800_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Holli Wheler on the move for CRL Newcastle in a NSW Women's Premiership match. Kylie Hilder is in the background.

"It's been a bit of a whirlwind - it seems to have come around very quickly,'' Wheeler said of Sunday's grand final.

She's not being happy with her current form.

"I've had to make adjustments because I've moved from second row to lock, so I'm spending more time in the middle,'' Wheeler explained.

"I'm probably not getting as much game time as I would like. But this week I'm just going to focus on doing my job and make sure I have the right mindset.''

The Dragons had a high turnover of players from last year and given the short nature of the NRLW, Wheeler explained there's not a lot of time to develop combinations.

Saints went into the season as favourites but lost to Brisbane in the opening match before scoring strong wins over New Zealand and Sydney Roosters. Success against the Roosters sealed a berth in the big dance.

Wheeler is confident the Dragons are peaking at the right time, but she conceded the Broncos will be tough.

"You can never write them off, even though they lost players from last season, they still have plenty of quality players and a great coaching staff,'' she said.

"I think the teams are evenly matched and hopefully it is a great game of football, so people watching will come away with a positive impression of the women's game.''

Wheeler's already won one premiership this year. She was player of the match in the NSW Women's Premiership grand final when her side, CRL Newcastle, downed Mounties.

"I'll take it,'' she replied when asked if she can reproduce that effort on Sunday.

"But as long as I do my job for the team I'll be happy, especially if we get to hold up the trophy at fulltime.''

r0_0_5013_3342_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Holli Wheeler blocks the path of a Sydney Roosters player during a clash in 2018 NRLW competition.

Four teams enough for now
    HOLLI Wheeler cautions against expanding the NRLW before there's a sufficient pool of quality players.

Wheeler was St George-Illawarra's player of the year in the inaugural NRLW season in 2018 and will start at lock in Sunday's grand final against Brisbane. She's also a NSW State of Origin and Australian representative.

Four teams - Saints, Sydney Roosters, Brisbane and New Zealand have contested the first two years of the NRLW and there is speculation the number could go to six as soon as 2020.

"I've heard Newcastle could be entering a team, but I don't think there's anything in concrete yet,'' Wheeler said.

However, she pointed out that while women's rugby league has made significant strides in the last couple of years, it is still in its infancy. Wheeler would like to see a longer NRLW season, but not necessarily more teams.

"I'd stick with four sides, but play each-other twice before the semi-finals,'' she said.

At the moment the teams only meet once.

r401_49_960_619_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

A talented athlete, Holli Wheeler was an Australian Country hockey representative before switching to rugby league.

Wheeler fears that expansion for the sake of expansion could dilute the standard of the competition and probably lead to blowout scorelines.

"Teams getting beaten by 50 or 60 points isn't good,'' she said.

However, she has confidence in the NRL.

"I know they listen and after last year's competition they sought feedback from the players.

"Tiffany Slater (NRL general manager for Elite Women's Program) has the good of the game at heart. We all want the game to get bigger and stronger,'' Wheeler said.

Wheeler played in the one-off test against New Zealand last year. The Jillaroos will meet New Zealand in New Zealand in November.

There's also the World Nines in late October, but Wheeler doesn't think she'll be part of that.

"I don't think I'd be much of a nines player,'' she said.

Wheeler isn't thinking too much about another tilt at the Kiwis at the moment. Her focus is firmly on Sunday and beating the Broncos.

"Anything that happens after that is a bonus,'' she said.
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...ms-for-two-premierships-in-one-year/?cs=14772

getsmarty

Immortal
Keeley Davis grows in confidence ahead of NRLW grand final with Dragons
  • Local Sport
    r0_0_4639_3144_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Dragons five-eighth Keeley Davis runs the ball forward against the Sydney Roosters last Sunday. Picture: Grant Trouville/NRL Imagery
    It was the surprise switch that breathed fire into the Dragons' season.

Dragons NRLW coach Daniel Lacey may have raised a few eyebrows when he selected Keeley Davis at five-eighth for their crunch round two clash with the New Zealand Warriors.

The change was forced after the unexpected late withdrawal of Kimioara Nati due to illness.

Davis is no stranger to the number six jersey, but has made her mark at representative level as a utility and was expected to play that role in a star-studded Dragons outfit in 2019.

However, the move to the halves paid dividends as Davis steered the Dragons to a 26-6 win over the Warriors. Davis then backed up to lead her side to a 24-16 victory against the Roosters to book a spot in the 2019 grand final.

The 19-year-old said she had relished the chance to slot into the halves alongside Maddie Studdon.

"I really enjoying playing five-eighth, it's where I play my club games [for Corrimal Cougars]," Davis said.

"The first game in there was a little rocky as I tried to build cohesion with the team.

"I feel like we've done really well and everyone in the team has helped me fill in that spot.

"I'm definitely feeling more comfortable and confident going into this week's game."

That's how you finish off the half! #NRLWDragonsRoosterspic.twitter.com/HjrNdpPjnc

— Women's Rugby League (@WRugbyLeague) September 29, 2019
    Davis has received great support from Lacey, who backed her in to shine at five-eighth.

In turn, Lacey said the teenager was a versatile and reliable player.

"Keeley's young but she's experienced," he said.

"She played NRLW last year and it's her second year like everyone else. I know she can do the job and I trust her.

"The luxury of bringing in a player like that is something that came up in our review last year, it's about being able to change players and put in a like-for-like replacement."

Keeley's young but she's experienced. I know she can do the job and I trust her.

Daniel Lacey
    The Dragons are preparing for their inaugural NRLW premiership tilt this Sunday.

Davis said the team had gained some confidence after last week's victory against the Roosters.

"It was a tight win and they played really well so it was great to get the win," she said.

"Because it's such a short competition, it's hard to build that team cohesion and confidence quickly. But I think we are gelling really well and are building each week.

"We're definitely going in as strong as we've been this weekend."

Sunday's opponents Brisbane Broncos will enter the decider as favourites.

The defending premiers sealed a 14-4 win over the Dragons in round one, but Davis said her side had learned a lot from that game.

"We did not complete [sets] at where we should have in that game so that will be a massive focus for us," she said.

"We're just doing what we can and looking at doing our jobs. If we do that right, we'll be in a really good place to win.

"All the girls want to win the grand final so bad, that's our goal."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...ce-ahead-of-dragons-nrlw-grand-final/?cs=1633

getsmarty

Immortal
fivethings.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Five things: NRLW grand final v Broncos
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 4 Oct 2019, 02:41 PM

The Dragons and the Broncos will do battle in the 2019 NRLW grand final on Sunday setting up one of the biggest clashes in the history of the competition.

There is plenty to look forward to in this decider, but we've condensed everything into just five things.

The final countdown

The Dragons are just one win away from claiming their first-ever NRLW premiership and becoming the first side outside of Queensland to do so.

They face a tough Brisbane Broncos side who up until last week, had never lost a game in the women's format. The Broncos will be looking to go back-to-back after taking out last year's competition and will bank on their experience this time around to help.

A shaky start in Round 1 finished with the Broncos defeating the Dragons in a close 14-4 encounter. But the Dragons have gone from strength to strength and are riding a tidal wave of momentum into the final.

Strike power

You won't find a more lethal back five in the NRLW than the Dragons'. Loaded with pace, power and agility, the Dragons will need their outside backs to fire on Sunday.

Centre Jessica Sergis almost single handily took down the Roosters last week, while Tiana Penitani has scored two tries in her last two games. On the flanks, Shakiah Tungai can finish a try with the best of them in the NRL, and pocket rocket Rikeya Horne is always a danger.

Tying it all together is Bo Vette-Welsh who was nominated for Dally M Female Player of the Year and averaging 160 metres per game.

Penitani lauds 'lethal' Horne

Maitua Feterika v Millie Boyle

The battle of the forwards will be a massive determiner in which side finishes as champions on Sunday.

Feterika has been one of the Dragons' best this season and also one of the most damaging forwards in the competition. Feterika outdid nine of the Roosters' squad in post contact metres alone last week, and averages 157 metres per game.

While in just her first season in the NRLW, Boyle has made a name for herself as one of the best props in the game. Boyle is a tireless worker while on the paddock, with 68 tackles and 315 metres to her name in 110 minutes this season.

Big stage

It doesn't get much bigger than playing the curtain-raiser to the NRL grand final at a rapidly filling ANZ Stadium – that’s the scenario for both sides on Sunday, making experience on the big stage a valuable commodity.

The Broncos have experience on their side with up to 10 players remaining from the squad that won the title last year. But the Dragons have three former Broncos from the same premiership-winning side last year set to feature.

The Dragons have several players who have played in big matches – Origins, Test matches, World Cup games – so grand final day shouldn't be too much an ask.

Dally M represent

With the likes of Brittany Breayley and Jessica Sergis in the Dragons' side, the Red V will field both female Dally M winners from the NRLW era on Sunday.

Breayley was the first to be awarded the highest individual honour in the new women's format last year, while Jessica Sergis was presented with the award on Wednesday. Their talent and experience will be invaluable on Sunday.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/04/five-things-nrlw-grand-final-v-broncos/

getsmarty

Immortal
'For koo': How grief is driving Studdon to glory
Author
Alicia Newton NRLW Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 4 Oct 2019, 04:01 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Maddie Studdon could cap off a season of redemption with a maiden NRLW title on Sunday but the Dragons halfback would give it all back if it meant she could spend one more day with her cousin Dakota.

Dakota Donoghue was a bright young 19-year-old who was last seen with Studdon celebrating her father Chris's 60th birthday on a Saturday night in July.

Less than 48 hours later Studdon, who had flown to Queensland the following day, had received a call to be left devastated by the news Dakota had died.

No warning signs about problems with her mental health and no explanation.

"Rugby league has been my escape to help and recovering," Studdon tells NRL.com.

"There was a time I didn't want to play, it was just after it happened and we were preparing for a semi-final clash with the Sharks at club level and I just didn't want to be there.

"Koo was a talented young girl who loved her footy. She supported Souths and always loved watching me play. I coached her in touch football and she often messaged me words before a game.

"As a family, we did not see it coming at all. Nobody did and we've been left devastated."

Dakota's death has been made harder to fathom for Studdon by the fact that the pair had participated in suicide prevention days for charities and openly spoke about the topic.

Studdon has sought help for her own grief as the family attempt to search for more answers around Dakota's passing.

"You wouldn't wish it on anyone and no one should go through the pain and suffering that my family is going through right now," Studdon said in the lead-up to the NRLW grand final on Sunday.

"As players and people we have a lot of down time and it's very tough on our mental state of mind to speak out and message friends.

"But it's not that hard to message people. Eventually in time I'll be happy to go out there and help other families and help young kids who are struggling to speak up no matter what is happening."

Studdon will have "Koo" written on her wrist as she eyes a chance to guide the Dragons to the title at ANZ Stadium.

A strong performance in the clash could earn her a recall to the Jillaroos squad a fortnight later after a two-year absence.

"I want to play for her, it's my motivation," Studdon said.

"I think about her every day and night before I sleep. She was always proud of me when she was here and I know she'll be looking over me.

"It's devastating but things happen and we've got to all stick together and look after each other."

Help is available 24/7 for anyone who has mental health issues by calling Lifeline Australia on 13 11 14

For further information on the NRL State of Mind program, click here

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/04/for-koo-how-grief-is-driving-studdon-to-glory/

getsmarty

Immortal
apps-and-brigginshaw0133.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Tensions simmer as NRLW title goes on the line
Author
Timestamp
Fri 4 Oct 2019, 03:01 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Brisbane hold the trophy but captain Ali Brigginshaw has put the heat on St George Illawarra for the NRLW grand final by declaring it's the Dragons' competition to lose on Sunday.

Brigginshaw joined teammates Annette Brander, Millie Boyle and coach Kelvin Wright in a tense media conference with the Dragons in Sydney and fired up when discussing her side's chances of clinching back-to-back titles.

The Dragons were heavily talked up leading into the second NRLW season with five former Broncos premiership-winning players moving to Wollongong.

Brigginshaw said she'd felt like the Broncos hadn't been as targeted for being champions this year with the Dragons taking the pre-season limelight.

"The talk was about the Dragons and who they signed so that took the pressure off to start, I thought," Brigginshaw said.

"Yes, we're defending premiers but it's a new year and we've got new players. It's about the team that comes together and who shows up on Sunday. If we don't show up we'll cop the loss but if we show up we'll get the win.

"I think the Dragons have done that in the last two games and you can see that with their two wins.

NRLW grand final media conference

Asked if the Dragons were the favourites for the decider, Brigginshaw quipped: "Yeah, definitely."

Sitting less than five metres from Brigginshaw was Dragons skipper Kezie Apps, who was quick to return serve and claim they had the underdogs tag leading into the clash.

"That's just outside noise really," Apps said of being favourites.

"They're the champions from last year and want it again. It's all new for us at the Dragons.

"It's a pretty chilled week and we're all trying to take it in and stay relaxed as possible."

The Broncos will field 10 players who represented Queensland in Origin this year, while the Dragons have eight NSW representatives – giving the clash an additional feel of interstate rivalry.

Brigginshaw, who captained the Maroons in the June clash, said the occasion acted as extra motivation after suffering defeat at North Sydney Oval.

"100 percent, and I still feel that loss from NSW," Brigginshaw said.

"If we say that there's a big rivalry between the Dragons and Broncos then that Queensland-NSW feel is there.

"Kezie is the captain of NSW. I want that win more than anything."

Apps played down the Origin comparison and likening the build-up to an interstate vibe.

"It's sort of completely different," Apps said.

"For Origin you have a week to prepare with one game and then it's all over. For the NRLW we've had four weeks prior to prepare with three games and then a fourth if we're lucky."

Brisbane defeated the Dragons 14-4 in their only clash this year at Bankwest Stadium in round one.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/04/tensions-simmer-as-nrlw-title-goes-on-the-line/

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Spot on
There are strong Sydney and Illawarra comps that run during the year.

It's quite obvious that sports and leagues need to start from small numbers in order to establish a base and grow. The next generation of girls will be even bigger in number now

Yep, and the Illawarra has always been a leader in that area. Had an open comp for a few years. Started an 18’s comp this year and next year they are starting an under 15’s comp.

The girls game has massive growth in it!! It’s great!!

getsmarty

Immortal
experts_20191005.jpg

OPINION

NRL.com predicts 2019 Karyn Murphy Medalist
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sat 5 Oct 2019, 10:01 AM

Who will win the 2019 Karen Murphy Medal after being judged the best player in the NRLW grand final? Will it be a big-name star or can a lesser light make the big stage their own.

The experts at NRL.com have their say on who which team will be celebrating on Sunday night.

NRL.com experts view
Steve Renouf (Maroons legend)
Ali Brigginshaw is a great leader for the Broncos in her own right and I expect her cool head to lead Brisbane to victory. She's a big-game player as she showed in the 2017 World Cup final for the Jillaroos. She will save her best for this game and dominate.

Brett Kimmorley (Former NSW halfback)
Ali Brigginshaw. She will the game organiser, the kicker, the captain and the star. She a wonderful player and I expect her to be at her best.

Jamie Soward (Premiership winner)
Ali Brigginshaw. To put it simply, she's the best No.7 in the game and we all know halves can win teams grand finals. If she's on, the Dragons are going to find life very difficult.

Breayley anticipates a fired-up Broncos

Alicia Newton (NRL.com reporter)
If the Dragons create the upset I think a player like Botille Vette-Welsh will play a huge part. She’s been at her weaving best at fullback with 15 tackle busts and is always around the ball.

Margie McDonald (NRL.com senior reporter)
Holli Wheeler. I love a good lock, who is tireless and a terrific team-payer. Holli was NSW coach Andrew Patmore's pick as best on field in the Origin win back in June, and she hasn't stopped testing defences since.

Match: Broncos v Dragons

Grand Final - Sunday 6th October

4:05pm

Home Team

Broncos

1st Position

Away Team

Dragons

2nd Position

Venue: ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • GEM
  • KAYO
  • LIVE PASS
Zac Bailey (NRL.com reporter)
Brittany Breayley. Last year's Dally M medallist will have to be at her best against her former club. If she rediscovers the form that won her last year's highest honour it'll go a long way to helping the Dragons winning their first premiership and Breayley the Karyn Murphy medal.

Michael Chammas (NRL.com chief reporter)
Jess Sergis is making huge inroads into taking over from Isabelle Kelly as the premier centre in the game. She was outstanding against the Roosters last week and will be a huge threat to the Brisbane defence in the decider.

Chris Kennedy (NRL.com reporter)
Having tipped the Broncos for the win I'm leaning towards either the game's best playmaker Ali Brigginshaw or its most impressive young forward Millie Boyle. Given her class and wealth of experience let's say Brigginshaw.

Brigginshaw confident Broncos can go back to back

Dan Walsh (NRL.com reporter)
Millie Boyle. Good props are worth their weight in gold in grand finals. Boyle has averaged more than 100m per game and is making her tackle at a 90 per cent efficiency rate. If she dominates the middle third of the field Brisbane will be hard to beat.

Brad Walter (NRL.com senior reporter)
Maddie Studdon. The Dragons halfback grew up around the game and will be determined to make up for last year after being left out of the Roosters grand final game. Her kicking game and organising skills will be vital to St George Illawarra’s hopes of winning.

Joel Gould (NRL.com reporter)
Dragons hooker Brittany Breayley will be keen for a big game against her former club and she knows how to deliver on the big stage. Breayley is one of the best defenders in the game but it is her ability to read the game and astute passing and support play that will prove decisive in the decider.

Sergis reveals how the Red V turned their season around

Paul Suttor (NRL.com editor)
Jess Sergis was the difference with a two-try haul when St George Illawarra advanced to the grand final by beating the Roosters and the Jillaroos centre has the firepower to cause plenty of headaches for Brisbane's defenders.

Mary Konstantopoulos (Ladies Who League)
Jessica Sergis continues to remind us all why she is one of the most exciting young talents in the game. She was the difference in the game against the Roosters, making a whopping 213 run metres, scoring two tries and certainly had the edge over Isabelle Kelly. She'll have a repeat performance on the weekend.

Brett Keeble (NRL.com reporter)
Maddie Studdon of the Dragons will prove the difference, winning the game with a field goal.

Maria Tsialis (Big League editor)
Ali Brigginshaw is the main attacking weapon for the Broncos and she'll have a big say in the result.

Tanisha Stanton (NRL.com reporter)
Jess Sergis will be the difference for the Dragons on Sunday. St George Illawarra will be looking to redeem themselves after the Broncos got one up on them in the opening round. Sergis will provide them with try-scoring opportunities.

Lone Scout (NRL Fantasy expert)
Ali Brigginshaw is the best playmaker in the NRLW, having led the league in line-break assists in both seasons of the competition, and is the most likely to break the game open for the Broncos on Sunday.

Gale's Goss: Hale's inspirational off-field work

Troy Whittaker (NRL.com reporter)
Botille Vette-Welsh. Stepping into the Dragons No.1 jersey this year, Vette-Welsh has been sensational. A metre-eater who troubled the Broncos last time, the fullback could be the game-breaker

Tony Webeck (NRL.com reporter)
Experienced, tough and skillful. When it comes to the pressure of a grand final, players such as Rona Peters come to the fore and she will be heavily involved in what the Broncos accomplish at both ends of the field. Don't be surprised to see her snare the match-winner.

Sergis secures Women's Dally M Medal

Corey Rosser (NRL.com reporter)
Maitua Feterika has been a colossal force in the middle for the Dragons this year, and it'll be up to her to win the battle against Brisbane's starting props Millie Boyle and Amber Hall. Averaging 157 metres this year, Feterika's primed for a big game.

Kenny Scott (NRL.com podcaster)
Ali Brigginshaw has owned this season when it comes to match-defining plays, both in defence and attack. With the season of the line she will stand tallest and her leadership under pressure will ensure she gets the medal this year.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/05/nrl.com-predicts-2019-karyn-murphy-medalist/

getsmarty

Immortal
untitled.png

COMMUNITY

Dragons youth ambassador to perform at NRL grand final
Author
Timestamp
Sat 5 Oct 2019, 01:57 PM

Zipporah Corser-Anu is a Year 11 student at the Wollongong High School of Performing Arts.Through her participation in NRL programs, Zipporah has now been given the opportunity to perform in front of the NRL grand final crowd, where the Dragons NRL Women's Premiership team feature.

This is a great example of NRL programs creating opportunities for our young people; the NRL School to Work Program (S2W) is a great example of this.

S2W is an education and employment program that utilises the positive profile of the game of rugby league to support and encourage young Indigenous Australians to complete their schooling and successfully transition into further education or employment.

Corser-Anu joined the S2W program in 2018 and represented the St George Illawarra Dragons at the 2019 NRL All Stars Indigenous Youth Leadership Summit, where she was successful in winning the role of Indigenous Youth Leadership Summit ambassador.

The ambassador role gave the students an opportunity to be involved in promoting the youth summit to future students, build a strong network and further develop their leadership skills through opportunities within the NRL and partners.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/05/dragons-youth-ambassador-to-perform-at-nrl-grand-final/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra ready for NRLW grand final test
Dragons Den
r0_308_7700_4637_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Final face-off: Opposing captains Kezie Apps (left) and Ali Brigginshaw. Picture: NRL Imagery/Grant Trouville.
The Brisbane Broncos may be the powerhouse of the NRLW, but that won't stop the St George Illawarra Dragons from entering Sunday's grand final full of confidence.

The Broncos are the defending premiers and claimed a 14-4 victory over the Dragons when the teams clashed in round one, but Daniel Lacey's side have produced two much improved performances since that result.

Playing in such a short competition, St George Illawarra's round two and three clashes were effectively must-win matches and Lacey said that has helped his side prepare for the added intensity that comes on grand final day.

"It's the old saying, you either win or you learn," Lacey said. "We did learn a lot out of that and we've fixed our second halves up so that's a big part of our game.

"We've still got a lot of improvement in the team and not a lot of things have gone our way as of yet and I'm going to challenge them to get to the next level. If we can get to that level, it's going to be pretty freaky to see how good they can perform."

"We've had two do or die matches against the Warriors and Roosters where if we lose, we're out. I don't think the Broncos have had that luxury yet.

"So we'll be looking to put them under the pump and see if they can come out swinging when they're behind and their season is on the line."

Read more: Dragons 2019: Apps eyes off NRLW premiership

While the majority of the Dragons will be playing in their first grand final, the side also features three women who turned out in last year's decider.

That group includes Queensland superstar Brittany Breayley who starred for the Broncos in the first edition of the NRLW.

Coming up against her old team for the second time, Breayley said she's excited to topple the competition's heavyweights.

"I'm really excited for Sunday," Breayley said. "There was a big rivalry in the first game and they got the win over us, but we saw last week the Warriors were able to beat them.

"That shows they are beatable and I think we have the team to do it. It's just about controlling the forwards and restricting Ali Brigginshaw and starving them of ball."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...arra-ready-for-nrlw-grand-final-test/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
feterika0131.jpg

DRAGONS

Larrikin to leader: Family troubles keep Feterika grounded
Author
Timestamp
Sat 5 Oct 2019, 02:01 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

St George Illawarra forward Maitua Feterika was the larrikin of the women's fraternity last year but her brother's recent trouble with the law has made her scale back her larger-than-life persona.

The former Broncos forward was renowned or pulling pranks and being the centre of attention but a move from Brisbane to Sydney earlier in the year has brought a more settled approach.

Feterika, a Kiwi Ferns representative who hails from Auckland, was denied the chance to represent Queensland in June due to her allegiances with New Zealand and a change in the residency rule.

It came around the time her younger brother Junior went into custody. He faces sentencing later this month. She did not wish to talk about her brother's crime but is hopeful he will see the error of his ways.

"He's made some bad choices in life but he will learn from it and I'm trying to put our name up there for a good reason," Feterika told NRL.com.

"I'm low-key playing for him and not doing it for social media. It's all for my family. They have supported me from day one. I get emotional talking about it.

"I've had a rough year but I told myself I wanted to focus on little goals. I'm my own biggest critic. I just decided to cut back on social media and stop talking it up but do it instead, let my actions talk more than words."

Feterika has been one of the form players of the NRLW to coincide with her move to the front row.

She's averaging 157.4 metres per game at the Dragons after previously being used on the edge and Kiwi Ferns electors are sure to be on notice ahead of the Test against Australia on October 25.

"I hope they can see what I'm doing in the middle because I love it, I found my home," Feterika said.

Sergis secures Women's Dally M Medal

"When I first played league I was fullback, centre, winger, second row and now prop. I'm getting the ball more and it's amazing playing with girls like Britt Breayley, Kezie Apps and Holli Wheeler.

"We always play against each other but to play alongside each other we have a different vibe of dancing and laughing but once we start training it turns serious."

Feterika said only a premiership at the Dragons would leave her feeling like fulfilled with 2019.

She has her former Broncos teammates in her way of achieving that goal.

"We still have respect for each other," Feterika said.

"After the first game we were still talking but when it comes to the grand final it's not going to be like that. Not before or during but after.

"We were still trying to sort ourselves out when we last played them and get our combinations right so we should be a lot better prepared against them on Sunday."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...eader-family-troubles-keep-feterika-grounded/

getsmarty

Immortal
appsk-brigginshawa-fan-fest-day-3-1gp_8789.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRLW 24-hour warning: Grand final v Broncos
Author
Timestamp
Sat 5 Oct 2019, 07:17 PM

St George Illawarra Women's Premiership coach Daniel Lacey has amended his squad to 19 ahead of the NRLW grand final against the Brisbane Broncos on Sunday, October 6 at ANZ Stadium.

Stephanie Mooka is the only player to be cut from the squad, with the Dragons only naming 20 players initially following Teuila Fotu Moala (suspension) and Kimora Nati's (illness) absences.

NRL Women's Premiership squad for grand final v Brisbane Broncos –

1. Botille Vette-Welsh – sponsored by TripADeal
2. Rikeya Horne – sponsored by CBC
3. Jessica Sergis – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
4. Tiana Penitani – sponsored by St.George Bank
5. Shakiah Tungai– sponsored by Tosich GroupConstruction
6. Keeley Davis – sponsored by EFEX
7. Maddie Studdon
8. Ngatokotoru Arakua
9. Brittany Breayley – sponsored by Westfund Health Insurance
10. Maitua Feterika
11. Kezie Apps (c) – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
12. Shaylee Bent
13. Holli Wheeler

Interchange:
14. Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili
15. Takilele Katoa – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
16. Maddison Weatherall
17. Najvada George
18. Sarah Togatuki
20. Lexi Kiriwi

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/05/nrlw-24-hour-warning-grand-final-v-broncos/

getsmarty

Immortal
lacey-nrlw-gf-191004_gt_009.jpg

DRAGONS

Lacey's passion and patience key factors in grand final charge
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 6 Oct 2019, 08:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

After helping to steer the Illawarra Cutters to victory in the 2016 State Championship final at ANZ Stadium, Daniel Lacey quit to spend more time with his wife Adele, but she is now set to be in the coach’s box with the Dragons mentor for Sunday’s NRLW premiership decider against Brisbane.

Lacey, who began coaching at 18 years of age with an under eight Dapto team featuring the Morris twins, Brett and Josh, and Dan Hunt, has a long association with St George Illawarra and women’s rugby league.

Others among the 53 juniors Lacey has coached who have gone on to play NRL include Dean Young, Jack Bird, Jackson Hastings and Euan Aitken, while he began coaching women’s teams in 2011 after taking charge of Illawarra’s first representative team featuring 2018 Dragons captain Sam Bremner.

Both male and female players who have played under Lacey speak highly of him and his passion for the game and developing talent, which this year led to six key members of the 2018 premiership winning Broncos team wanting to join St George Illawarra.

Broncos v Dragons - Grand Final

However, after he and Jason Demetriou took the Cutters to the 2016 NSWRL premiership and beat Queensland champions Burleigh in the curtain-raiser to Cronulla’s historic grand final triumph over Melbourne, Lacey decided he could no longer commit the time away from his young family and quit.

“I always wanted to make a grand final day and we went close with Justin Holbrook [in 2012], and when Dean [Young] and Ben Hornby coached the under 20s [in 2014], so when we did it with the Cutters I just loved it but it was four days a week for 11 months,” Lacey said.

Sergis reveals how the Red V turned their season around

The establishment of the Tarsha Gale Cup in 2017 provided an opportunity for Lacey to continue coaching as the competition only ran for nine weeks and he is now one win away from an historic double after guiding the under 18 Steelers to grand final glory earlier this year.

“I’m really proud of our club, we get slammed because our first grade team didn’t do so well but we do a lot of good things developing the game,” Lacey said.

“We have got 12 teams - five girls teams and seven boys teams. That is a lot of development and it is pretty good for our club to do that.

“When I first started with the Tarsha Gale side I got everyone to write down their goals, and mine were that I wanted from southern Sydney down the South Coast to be the best and most dominant areas in the country and I think we are well on our way to doing that.

Match: Broncos v Dragons

Grand Final - Sunday 6th October

4:05pm

Home Team

Broncos

1st Position

Away Team

Dragons

2nd Position

Venue: ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • GEM
  • KAYO
  • LIVE PASS
“Ulladulla won the under 18s schoolgirls comp and Warilla won the under 16s, and I went to the watch the under 14s schoolgirls carnival and the number of teams has gone from 20-to-40-to-60, so it is amazing to see how far it has come in three years, given that I was going to stop coaching.

“My wife likes that I am helping girls and she knows the girls so now she is a part of it and wants us to do well.

Brigginshaw confident Broncos can go back to back

“She sat in the coach’s box against the Warriors and helped out with some stats and she sat in for the Roosters game as well so I said you know you will have to do the same in the grand final because we won both those games and I am a creature of habit.”

Bremner, who has been playing under Lacey on a regular basis since 2011 as he was coach of the 2013 NSW team and 2014 All Stars before becoming the Dragons NRLW mentor last year, said he would often attend local matches and knew all the players.

“He is very passionate about rugby league and the women’s game but also about the girls coming through,” Bremner said.

“He is not all consumed by what is hot right now, he puts a lot of time and energy into developing players for the future and that is what he has done with our Dragons team.

Breayley anticipates a fired-up Broncos

“My impression of why a lot of people want to play under him is because he focuses a lot on development of players individually as well as the team.

“Even if he knows some girls aren’t going to be with us next year, he just wants to make them better footballers. If girls can have a coach they know is invested in them as much as he is they want to perform for him and that is exactly what they have done, with both the 18s and the NRLW.”

Demetriou, who is now Wayne Bennett's assistant at South Sydney, said Lacey also had a great relationship with the Cutters players when he was assistant coach in 2016.

“He is very passionate about his job and that comes across in what he does but he has also got a high level of care for his players and that is an important quality in any coach,” Demetriou said.

“He invests in every one of them and wants them to do well, and you can see with the way the Dragons are playing that they look like a team that is happy and excited to play footy."

After his retirement, Hunt helped coach the 2016 Steelers SG Ball team and witnessed first-hand how Lacey worked with his players.

“I think the biggest thing with him is his relationship with the players," Hunt said.

"He cares, he listens to them and that is the part I really noticed with him."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...d-patience-key-factors-in-grand-final-charge/

getsmarty

Immortal
feterikam-appsk-sergisj-gf-portrait-1gp_8691.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRLW late mail: Grand final v Broncos
Author
Timestamp
Sun 6 Oct 2019, 03:05 PM

St George Illawarra Women's Premiership coach Daniel Lacey has finalised his 17 ahead of the NRLW grand final against the Brisbane Broncos on Sunday, October 6 at ANZ Stadium.

Sarah Togatuki and Lexi Kiriwi are the players to miss out on the final team, joining Stephanie Mooka as the only other player to be cut from the squad.

NRL Women's Premiership squad for grand final v Brisbane Broncos –

1. Botille Vette-Welsh – sponsored by TripADeal
2. Rikeya Horne – sponsored by CBC
3. Jessica Sergis – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
4. Tiana Penitani – sponsored by St.George Bank
5. Shakiah Tungai– sponsored by Tosich GroupConstruction
6. Keeley Davis – sponsored by EFEX
7. Maddie Studdon
8. Ngatokotoru Arakua
9. Brittany Breayley – sponsored by Westfund Health Insurance
10. Maitua Feterika
11. Kezie Apps (c) – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
12. Shaylee Bent
13. Holli Wheeler

Interchange:
14. Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili
15. Takilele Katoa – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
16. Maddison Weatherall
17. Najvada George

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/06/nrlw-late-mail-grand-final-v-broncos/