What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Post Mortem

thommo4pm

Coach
Where have I blamed the refs? We got a couple of iffy calls against us. That doesn't lose you games. I only said Dragons got a few penalties in goal kicking range and won the game off the back of kicking penalties. Them's the facts and no blame attributed

"Archer / Sutton injecting themselves"
"Iffy calls against us"
Is that not blaming the ref's?

The penalties we got in kicking range were as a result of your teams errors....not the ref's injecting themselves into the match or Iffy calls.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Another thing I noticed last night is that MK needs to be a bit more reserved with the dummy. I can't imagine ANYONE will fall for it as long as you use it at least twice every set. Robson's dummy was awesome because 95 per cent of the time the ball actually ends up passed.

Also, we need more structure at the end of a set. It seems like no one really knows who is going to get the ball and what they are going to do with it. Mortimer, Robson, M Keating and Hayne all had digs at different times but rarely seemed to take the best option.

Hayne is definitely the most dangerous Eel with the ball in hand. I'd really like to see him get the ball on the fifth (or fourth if he sees an opportunity and injects himself) at least 75 per cent of the time. Robson probably needs to be the back up guy, with Keating sneaking a kick once in a while - although he'd want a better result than he got in the 78th minute. This will also help to take a bit of pressure off young Mortimer who is still got a lot of development ahead of him.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
I think that both fans should be reasonably happy.

Saints showed tonight just how that Finals game at Kogarah could have gone. These two teams are going to be involved in some really good games in the next couple of years, and the rub of the green and the bounce of the ball could decide the winner.

Saints showed that they will be competitive and give themselves a chance. Can they win three Finals games with their style? Course they can, but if their attack doesn't improve the opposition will always be in with a chance too, and that it will make it hard for them.

We were unlucky, didn't get the rub of the green, and just couldn't get the momentum going. I'd be confident if we played them again, but we need to learn how to play them in their half a bit more or we're always going to have to do it the hard way against them.

One thing's for sure - if both teams win about the same amount of games, then Eels fans are going to enjoy themselves a whole lot more. With Tahu, Mateo, Hayne, Inu, Grothe, Burt, Fui we've got the most exciting team going.

84 Baby

Referee
"Iffy calls against us"

The penalties we got in kicking range were as a result of your teams errors....not the ref's injecting themselves into the match or Iffy calls.
And the refs injecting themselves and iffy calls are a part of sport, if you don't realise that then you've never played. The reason you won is because you got calls in good positions and had better possession. I believe had you not kicked the goals then 12 points would have been the limit of your attack. We just weren't good enough to score more

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
"Iffy calls against us"

Whilst I agree that you guys deserved to win - you played an incredibly disciplined and consistent game for round 1 - I do think you got the rub of the green and the refs calls.

It seemed that any time there was a loose ball it ended up a knock-on for us or in the hands of a saints player. While you make your own luck sometimes, something like the Tahu knock-on epitomised the night for us - he makes a great tackles and shows the awareness and determination to get to the ball on the ground first, but can't keep it under control. That's just how it went for us last night.

For example - your 12 point lead: your first try came after a bad play-the-ball that should have been called back, then a few minutes later we got our first attacking option and Keating ran straight at a horrendously offside Dean Young 5 metres out from your line - no penalty and we lose the ball. A few minutes later you are in down the other end after a rebounded kick gives you 6 to go.

I'm not complaining here, just showing that the calls and bounce of the ball went against us at the wrong times, and you guys were good enough to take advantage of that. We would have beat most other teams last night.

thommo4pm

Coach
Of course you guys think we got the rub of the green just like we think you got away with things also.

And 84 baby, I assume the 84 stands for the year you were born, I have played sport for a lot longer than you have and still am playing team sports along with individual sports.

In credit to you, you have acknowledged you weren't good enough to score further points. I know when Saints lose I always look for reasons other than the players, but in reality there are always plays in the match which the players have done that cause what happens next or turns the match.

thommo4pm

Coach
Anyway, guys I'm not going to keep going over this, we will never agree as we support different sides.

Good luck for the next few months and see you at Kogarah later in the season. :)

84 Baby

Referee
If you westy bogans keep blaming the refs for this loss, you can never move forward.

Suck it up you Fairies!
Wait I haven't paid for my ticket
11_06_14---Merry-go-round--The-Hoppings--Newcastle-upon-Tyne_web.jpg

I know what I'm trying to say to you people from the "glorious" Illawarra is difficult to comprehend when the only education you've had is daddy beating you with a stick but not once have we blamed the refs

lingard

Coach
I think what is trying to be said, is Saints played a fow\rward dominated - run from one off the dummy halk and crash upfield. Then kick and contain, works wonders in the regular season.

They have the style to win the minor premiership, not the style to win the big one.

At one stage I thought I was watching yawnion. big lumbers up the middle , kick long bash and wait for an opportunity to get a penalty, won't that bring back the crowds

Mannah outplayed our other props, Poore was disappointing, Robson defended well and made one break, and you can see why they tried to get Kingston as a priority signing but couldn't squeeze him in. I actually thought both centres played well, as did the other backs- not a lot from 7 and the front row was our issue. No filed position and the dragqueens should have won by 20 with possession and penalties, but lacked any creativity when Fein went down

Should read: 'Robson defended VERY well (certainly saved two tries) and made one break which created a try.'
Should read: Too much dropped ball, not enough possession and too many bad calls from the referree, was our issue'.
I thought Poore showed enough to suggest he`ll be a major force for us this year. Thought all our forwards played very well, but didn`t combine well together. Doesn`t matter, only first round. I`m absolutely stoked. This is the best start to a season we`ve had in years!

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
Lingard, you think Robson defended very well etc, I still don't believe that should be a 7s major attribute. My opinion and yours are different, that is a good thing but I am not sure that you can say I am wrong and you are right which was the inference from your post.

That is the beauty of opinion, we all have one

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
The next time someone asks me why I hate the slime so passionately I will direct them to this thread.......

You lot should really just take an objective view to this sh*te and realise no-one cares.

"We lost but this is why will will win the comp"

"They won but this is why they wont win the comp"

Its the first game, but to think you will improve any quicker than any other team is simply conceited - refer to first sentence.

xxx

Suitman

Post Whore
Anyway, guys I'm not going to keep going over this, we will never agree as we support different sides.

Good luck for the next few months and see you at Kogarah later in the season. :)

I'm not going to wish you good luck but I will see you at Kogarah.

It's been nice to have at least one balanced and normal thinking Illawarra fan on here who has a brain.

Good stuff thommo.

Suity

lingard

Coach
Lingard, you think Robson defended very well etc, I still don't believe that should be a 7s major attribute. My opinion and yours are different, that is a good thing but I am not sure that you can say I am wrong and you are right which was the inference from your post.

That is the beauty of opinion, we all have one

Yeah, you`re right. They are just opinions. Sorry.

Eelementary

Post Whore
OK, over the last few days, everyone's said, "It'd be nice to have a halfback who can do more than tackle."

Fine. Now I'm throwing my hat into the ring: It'd be sweet as hell to have a fullback with good positional awareness on kicks.

Oh no he deedin!

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
OK, over the last few days, everyone's said, "It'd be nice to have a halfback who can do more than tackle."

Fine. Now I'm throwing my hat into the ring: It'd be sweet as hell to have a fullback with good positional awareness on kicks.

Oh no he deedin!

Yep, Jarryd didn't play well, for his standards he had an off night.