What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons training resumes

Anonymous

Juniors
Dragons Training Resumes

The Dragons will start training tomorrow (Monday, Nov 8 ) for the 2005 Telstra Premiership season.

The NRL squad will meet at 9am at the University of Wollongong for speedwork, wrestling, skills and a swim before heading to WIN Stadium at midday for weights and treatment.

Anonymous

Juniors
Times sure have changed. Wasn't that long ago that training didnt start again until after the summer. Mind you, most players had day jobs as well.

Deacon

First Grade
Dragons' final loss stimulates training
By AGRON LATIFI
November 9, 2004

THEIR first competition match is still almost four months away, but that didn't stop the Dragons from kick-starting their pre-season training campaign yesterday in Wollongong.

Kangaroo tourists Jason Ryles, Shaun Timmins and Matt Cooper missed St George Illawarra's first official hit out, as did injured skipper Trent Barrett.

But fellow experienced players Lance Thompson, Luke Bailey and Mark Gasnier were put through their paces yesterday at the University of Wollongong.

A sprinkling of new faces were also in attendance, including Michael Ennis, who made an instant impression at the Dragons by winning the club's beep test.

St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown said he was happy to have Ennis and fellow recruits Colin Best, Albert Torrens and Willie Manu on board.

"Obviously we lost a couple of players but we're very happy with the players we've got to replace them," he said.

"Ennis can play the full 80 minutes we believe, and he'll be a more than capable replacement for Mark Riddell.

"While ideally we would have liked to have kept Lincoln Withers as a backup, that was not possible. We'll probably go with Aaron Gorrell as Ennis' backup."

The Dragons finished fifth in the 2004 NRL competition, their best home-and-away result in the joint venture's six-year history.

But, the way they went out of the finals' "back door" frustrates Brown.

St George Illawarra lost their first finals game 31-30 to Penrith and were knocked out of the premiership race after Melbourne and North Queensland upset Brisbane and Canterbury respectively.

"It was disappointing the way things turned out in the finals, but I guess we've learned that there's no tomorrow and we have to make the most of our opportunities," Brown said.

"It is the start of a new pre-season now and we're just concerned with preparing for another campaign. We're scheduled to train for the next six weeks before taking a couple of weeks off over Christmas ... and then getting stuck into it again."

Before the season starts, the Dragons will play two trial matches, the Charity Shield showdown against South Sydney at Aussie Stadium on February 19, and a clash against Manly at Centenary Field the week after.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Good to hear Ennis was the one who won the beep test, I think it's important that he's a 80 minute player

luther

Juniors
gorrell has been a great player for years and i have been impressed everytime he has been called into first grade. He was one of the few positives to come out of the premier league debacle; however, at the same time i am sad to see withers go. i thought he added a lot to the dragons play in attack and defence.

bring on 2005