What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons V Manly game day.

TheRev

First Grade
Benjis kicking game was brilliant.. His general play was solid and his defence was very good.. I think people expect him to throw no look passes every time he touches the ball and to do double side steps.. Benjis game is now built on keeping pressure on opposing teams w smart kicks.. He pinned Manly in their in goal at least 4 times w his kicks not to mention 2 tackles to keep Brett Stuart in his in goal..

Look at the stats before we judge..
Spot on.. a couple of errors but otherwise Benji is playing fantastic, hell pre-season and he was being called the messiah.. 1 week later hes blamed for everything.

In the halves.. Widdop is the main issue, hes not playing smart 5th tackle options, and when he does he cant weight his kicks properly.. im not sure why we would give him more ball, he hasnt kicked well for 12 months now. (Spoiler.. hes not a 5/8).

kit66

Bench
Benjis kicking game was brilliant.. His general play was solid and his defence was very good.. I think people expect him to throw no look passes every time he touches the ball and to do double side steps.. Benjis game is now built on keeping pressure on opposing teams w smart kicks.. He pinned Manly in their in goal at least 4 times w his kicks not to mention 2 tackles to keep Brett Stuart in his in goal..

Look at the stats before we judge..

The most telling stats being, Widdop and Benji with just two runs a piece - not exactly the kind of thing to keep the opposition guessing or to put our attack on the front foot. It needs to be sorted - for both of them.

mickeylane

Bench
Good win off the back of excellent defence. Enthusiasm and line speed were top notch. Attack is still p*ss poor and could be a problem over the next few weeks if we can't improve. Forwards were all good and great to see Dugan improving with game fitness. Nightie MOM easy, best winger in the world.

Benji's efforts over the last three games are a litany of missed opportunities, poor options, bad defensive reads and simple errors. His kicking too could be better, as in round 1 against the Storm, where his kicking was pretty spot on.
He's capable of putting on some great plays but they are few and far between and to date he invariably brings them undone with the bad side of his game. I hope to chris he can get it together because you just know Mary will never drop him. He'd have to kill someone before he pulled on a Cutters jersey
Benjis game is built on taking the odd risk.. He's in much better form than Widdup. Would rather see Widdup dropped than Benji any day.. Benji is the only X Factor we have in our team - apart from Dugan .. I wouldn't be swapping him w anyone

rasaint

Juniors
Good observation Rev Dugan has plenty of errors in him. He makes the occassional good charge and defended well tonite but a long way behind Slater, Inglis , Tedesco. Brett Morris Moran etc.

Benji was generally good tonite.

Aitken is a powerful runner, not brilliant but simply wants to run and tackle his heart out.

Thompson is smashing them in attack and defence. Hope he stays healthy.

bottle

Coach
Sure was. Not sure if I would be paying in excess of $2m for their halves ?

I think Parra have screwed up majorly Lums. I can see the value in DCE personally, but Foran is a very good player surrounded by a quality backline. He is not a play maker as such.

Btw, welcome to the forum.

Lums Dee

Juniors
I think Parra have screwed up majorly Lums. I can see the value in DCE personally, but Foran is a very good player surrounded by a quality backline. He is not a play maker as such.

Btw, welcome to the forum.

Thanks man. I've seen my dad on here for ages and thought I'd give it a go. He says it's pretty cool
I still reckon they paid heaps for those guys

kit66

Bench
I was just looking at our stats for this game ( they've updated them on NRL.stats ) - 1772 Metres with 11 players making over 100mtrs, amazing.
We're 2nd best in defence ( Roosters are just 2 points better ) and worst in attack. That has to be some kind of record.

possm

Coach
I was very happy with the Dragons defence during this game. It reminded me very much of the Bennett days.

The Dragons attitude and enthusiasm was very good and a pleasing improvement from the previous two and a half games. Let's hope our defense and positive attitude is maintained for this week’s game against Newcastle.

Our attack has been a long standing problem; even going back to the Price days. Under Price Mary was in charge of attacking play and for some reason, has not been able to replicate plays or plans that other Clubs successfully implement each week.

If the Dragons Board is intent on keeping Mary on as coach, they should at least consider assigning him a consultant or an additional assistant who can resolve this problem quickly.

Maybe other members would like to suggest an appropriate consultant or even a better solution to this problem. All I know is that if this problem is not addressed in the short term, we will run the risk of losing more games than we deserve.

giboz71

First Grade
I was just looking at our stats for this game ( they've updated them on NRL.stats ) - 1772 Metres with 11 players making over 100mtrs, amazing.
We're 2nd best in defence ( Roosters are just 2 points better ) and worst in attack. That has to be some kind of record.

I think the key thing is we're making progress. Last year, we suffered embarrassing losses with teams just running through our forwards like paper. We seem to have addressed that problem for now.

Yes our attack is still clunky, but one thing at a time. If Dugan, Widdop and Marshall can somehow form some combinations, we should surprise some teams.

BennyV

Referee
I was very happy with the Dragons defence during this game. It reminded me very much of the Bennett days.

The Dragons attitude and enthusiasm was very good and a pleasing improvement from the previous two and a half games. Let's hope our defense and positive attitude is maintained for this week?s game against Newcastle.

Our attack has been a long standing problem; even going back to the Price days. Under Price Mary was in charge of attacking play and for some reason, has not been able to replicate plays or plans that other Clubs successfully implement each week.

If the Dragons Board is intent on keeping Mary on as coach, they should at least consider assigning him a consultant or an additional assistant who can resolve this problem quickly.

Maybe other members would like to suggest an appropriate consultant or even a better solution to this problem. All I know is that if this problem is not addressed in the short term, we will run the risk of losing more games than we deserve.

Nathan Brown :sarcasm:

Damo!

Juniors

Agreed. They should get him an experienced assistant and let Ben and Dean concentrate on the 20's.

Maybe other members would like to suggest an appropriate consultant
Matt Parish is still out of work, isn't he?

Mr Red

First Grade
Agreed. They should get him an experienced assistant and let Ben and Dean concentrate on the 20's.

Matt Parish is still out of work, isn't he?

Matt Parish.. good call.
i think if available he would be very handy.