What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty ?

denis preston

First Grade
On a side note Frank facer.i met your namesake many times in my younger days.i worked with Ian walsh at stacks cars paddinton,Mr facer was a marvelous administrator wish he was in charge now .

OD was that at the time Trevor Allen , Rex Mossop & Ken Thornett were there ? What became of Stacks ?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I think in general Souths 2014 campaign was on the back of Inglis. A lot of people think he's overrated but when he's on he's ON.

Dufty reminds me a lot of Billy slater. Saints should lock him up now long term and be patient with him at fullback unlike Souths with AJ. He will have bad games in the near future but every player does. It's about adjusting to first grade.

He reminds me more of Adam Quinlan.

Look, Dufty has been pretty good so far in his short first grade career, however, a caveat needs to be applied to the fact that the opposition that he has played against (Manly, Newcastle and Souths) aren't really white, hot shit.

Let's see how Dufty goes against better teams such as Melbourne, Cronulla and Easts, before proclaiming him to be next Billy Slater. If anything, the coaches at the helm of these clubs will target him a hell of a lot more than what he's experienced to this point in time.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors

Look, Dufty has been pretty good so far in his short first grade career, however, a caveat needs to be applied to the fact that the opposition that he has played against (Manly, Newcastle and Souths) aren't really white, hot shit.

Let's see how Dufty goes against better teams such as Melbourne, Cronulla and Easts, before proclaiming him to be next Billy Slater. If anything, the coaches at the helm of these clubs will target him a hell of a lot more than what he's experienced to this point in time.

Yes Saint Jimmy, I agree Dufty is untested, but I don't think anyone is looking for a Kangaroo grade player straight away. Lets just enjoy and support him.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

I think dufty will be much better than Quinlan.

This is a fair statement but it should also be noted that most rookies have amazing first years because oppositions haven't learned their play styles yet. Even the storm will struggle to contain what they don't know about. As soon as they understand their threats and weaknesses most teams will be able to handle dufty.

But that will prove the real test for the young gun. To constantly improve and try new things. The absolute worst thing you can do is to start to overhype him so I agree in that aspect. Give him time to develop next year even though it may seem frustrating and you guys will have a real threatening spine for the coming years.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons' clash with Gold Coast Titans
Andrew Parkinson
9 Aug 2017, 5 a.m.
r0_0_1200_675_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Coming home: St George junior Matt Dufty will play for the Dragons at Kogarah against the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday afternoon. Picture: John Veage

Kogarah’s Jubilee Oval holds some of the fondest memories of Matt Dufty’s young career. Memories that helped forge his love of rugby league.

The Penshurst RSL junior returns to the ground where he won a pair of junior grand finals on Saturday as a first grader. But the stakes will be much higher when St George Illawarra host the Gold Coast at Kogarah. It is a game the Dragons can’t afford to lose.

St George Illawarra slipped out of the top eight for the first time this season on Sunday when Penrith overcame the Wests Tigers, an almost unthinkable scenario midway through the season when the Dragons led the competition. St George Illawarra must now fight to save their campaign against the struggling Titans, who were thrashed 54-0 by Brisbane on Saturday night.

But it will also be a special afternoon for Dufty, who still lives at Peakhurst where he grew up. The 21-year-old will make his fourth NRL appearance at the ground he dreamed of playing on.

“It’s one of the best places to play. I love playing [at Kogarah],” he told the Leader.

“I won under nines and 10s grand finals for Penshurst there. I played all my Harold Matthews (under-16s) and SG Ball (under-18s) there.

“Hopefully Mary picks me. That’d be a dream come true. I know a lot of people from local clubs and family will come and support me. It would mean the world to me to play at Kogarah.”

It has been a worrying couple of weeks for the Dragons since Dufty made his debut in a 30-point romp over Manly. Losses to struggling Newcastle and South Sydney have seen St George Illawarra slide out of the finals places and into a battle with Penrith and Canberra just to make it to September.

With Josh Dugan only playing 23 minutes of the loss to Souths before being forced off with an ankle injury, it’s even more likely St George Illawarra will turn to Dufty to spark their attack. With Dugan off to fierce local rivals Cronulla next season, Dufty has the chance to show Paul McGregor why he should get first crack at the No.1 jersey in 2018. But he’s not calling it an audition.

“It’s definitely my goal for next year, to play there,” he said.

“Ultimately it’ll be up to Mary and the coaching staff what they want to do but it’s definitely my goal to lock it down. I’ll have to get stuck into pre-season. No one has said anything like [it being an audition]. Mary just tells me to go out and enjoy myself and play with no pressure, go out play my own game and that’s really helped.

“I wasn’t sure how I’d adapt to it. I’ve definitely just gone out to there and tried to play my own style of footy and fit in with the boys which I think I have pretty well.

“It’s still pretty special running out there with the boys and putting on the red V in first grade. It’s definitely everything I thought it would be, playing in front of 15,000 people instead of a couple of hundred. It was a dream growing up and for it to finally happen there’s no words to describe what it means to me. It’s special.”

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4...or-crucial-dragons-clash-with-titans/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Short-term focus for Dragons rookie

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

11 Aug 2017, 3 p.m.
r0_0_5184_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HERE AND NOW: He's been touted as the club's long-term No.1 but Dragons rookie Matt Dufty isn't looking past the 2017 season. Picture: Robert Peet

ST GEORGE Illawarra livewire Matt Dufty doesn’t need to say the words for you to know he’s set his sights on being the Dragons long-term No.`1.

It’s a position the Penshurst RSL junior has long been groomed for coming through the Dragons junior ranks.

His stunning 55 tries in 65 NYC games for the club were at least part of the reason club recruitment chief Ian Millward – whose paid to look to the future – was keen to see Josh Dugan shift to centre next season.

Dugan has since confirmed he will depart for Cronulla at season’s end, leaving a long-term vacancy at fullback that plenty have already penciled Dufty’s name into.

After a stunning debut against Manly in Wollongong three weeks ago, there are plenty more willing to write it down in ink, none of which is news to the 21-year-old.

“It’s obviously a goal but it’s not up to me,” Dufty said.

“It’s up to Mary [coach Paul McGregor] and the coaching staff next year to decide who fits the bill.

“We’ve got a lot of new players coming in and we’ll see what combinations work well and that sort of thing will be up to Mary.

“Both Fieldy [Jai Field] and Killer [Kurt Mann] have played fullback this year and Killer played a few games there last year so they’ve both got a bit of experience.

“We’ll have to wait and see but I’m definitely trying to put a foot forward towards the end of this year and play the best footy I can. Certainly I’ll be getting in next preseason and working pretty hard.”

For now, he’s just happy living the dream.

“It’s still a dream come true every week being out there with the boys,” Dufty said.

“The longer the season went the less likely it seemed that Mary was going to change the team up because the boys were playing pretty well at the beginning of the year.

“It was getting towards the end of the year and I wasn’t sure if I’d get a game but I just kept trying to play well in NSW Cup.

“That week everything fell into place for me. There were a couple of injuries and Mary came up and said ‘I’m playing you’ and I was over the moon.

“It’s still pretty crazy when you walk out there and, instead of a couple of hundred fans, there’s 12,000-plus.

“I used to look around and be able to find my family easily in the crowd but now you’re lucky to see anyone you know. It’s a bit surreal.”

A finals appearance just six games into is top-grade career would cap a stunning rise, but it’s something he’s only given brief thought to with his side locked in a tight top-eight battle.

“It’d be pretty surreal, playing six NRL games and then playing a couple of finals,” Dufty said.

“It would be unreal but right now we’ve just got to focus on finishing off the year and making sure we’re in the finals. That’s the goal we’re all working towards.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4848165/dufty-living-in-the-nrl-moment/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons livewire unfazed by weighty talk

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

11 Aug 2017, 4:04 p.m.
r0_0_5472_3648_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NO WORRIES: Matt Dufty is unfazed by size discussion: Picture: AAP

HE’S looked far from out of place in three NRL appearances this season and Dragons rookie Matt Dufty insists he’s unfazed by suggestions his 80-kilo frame could struggle to meet the week to week rigours of a full NRL season.

Barring injury, Dufty looks odds on to replace the departing Josh Dugan next season after grabbing his opportunity with both hands since being handed his debut three weeks ago.

The 21-year-old said he will look to add some bulk to his frame in the preseason but neither he, or club coaching staff, have any concerns around his size.

“I copped a bit of that [talk] when I was younger but not so much now,” Dufty said.

“No one’s really told me that the last couple of years. There’s a lot of people my height or shorter in the NRL. The boys do look a lot bigger on TV.

“Right now I’m around 81-82 [kilos]. I don’t if I got much heavier I’d get slower or whatever but my weight’s not really bothering me at the moment so I’m not too worried about it.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4849901/weight-not-an-issue-for-dufty/?cs=3713

Drag Queen

Bench
I think dufty will be much better than Quinlan.

This is a fair statement but it should also be noted that most rookies have amazing first years because oppositions haven't learned their play styles yet. Even the storm will struggle to contain what they don't know about. As soon as they understand their threats and weaknesses most teams will be able to handle dufty.

But that will prove the real test for the young gun. To constantly improve and try new things. The absolute worst thing you can do is to start to overhype him so I agree in that aspect. Give him time to develop next year even though it may seem frustrating and you guys will have a real threatening spine for the coming years.
Too early to tell grasshopper. I want a FB with the works. Postscript, we don't have one!

TomRedVRiver

Bench
NRL rookie Matt Dufty rises above tragedy for St George Illawarra Dragons
DAVID RICCIO, EXCLUSIVE, The Daily Telegraph
August 11, 2017 7:41pm

ON a day like today, when St George Illawarra will be defined by the size of their heart, spirit and desire, little Matt Dufty’s story makes sense.

Just when Dragons fans, overcome by stress that once again their dream of September footy looks like evaporating, comes the story of one of the NRL’s smallest players — who boasts the biggest heart. The rookie Dragons fullback’s family was left heartbroken after a gut-wrenching fortnight.

Given the 21-year-old’s blistering rise to first grade, you wouldn’t know.

024a2d2573b7754ee99dfa548741c230

Matthew Dufty showed huge character to take the field against the Rabbitohs. Picture: Getty Images
Last week, the team let their top-eight berth slip to South Sydney. Sure, the loss was hard to take but it was nothing compared to the devastation Dufty had endured leading into just his third NRL game.

A few hours before kick-off, the 179cm, 83kg fullback wasn’t thinking of kick returns or saving tries — he was saying goodbye, at the funeral of his beloved grandmother, June. Most of us wouldn’t have considered turning up to work that day, let alone a few hours later.

Dufty? He scribbled the words “Family” and “Nan” on his wrist, using his favourite memories of June, to help him pull on the Red V at the SCG.

“One of the hard things was to see Dad (Glenn) upset on that Friday, but he said; ‘Go out there and get all your emotion out on the field’,’’ Dufty said.

fd8c4a32bde047cf7aea29ded23a09d7

Matt Dufty at HV Evatt Park Oval where he played his junior football. Picture: Jonathan Ng
“I wrote some words on my wrist to look at and to pump me up. I got out there and I just really wanted to play well for Nan, Dad and my family.

“It was tough for sure, an emotionally draining two weeks. But I tried to play for her.’’

Dufty learned his Nan was gravely ill only a day before the 21-14 loss to Newcastle two weeks ago.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor told Dufty “go home to your family, you don’t have to play, I’ll make changes’’.

“Dad called me to tell me about Nan, we were up in Newcastle,’’ Dufty said. “I was obviously emotional. I called him back later that night to talk about coming home, but he said ‘she’ll be proud if you do it for her’. That’s what I’ve tried to do.’’

410146a024239be36957749655314b13

Diminutive Matt Dufty made sure they couldn’t catch him.
From June’s kitchen window, which stared down onto HV Evatt Park Oval, Lugarno, she could see a young Dufty ducking and diving for Penshurst RSL each Saturday.

“Her house was right there, so we’d run up to Nan’s after footy to eat hundreds and thousands cookies,’’ Dufty smiles.

The field of dreams is where Dufty’s journey to the NRL began, at the same club Glenn still coaches and where his son scored a club record 72 tries in his under-11s season.

Always the smallest player on the field, Dufty ran around HV Evatt with the words of Glenn in his head — “if they can’t catch you, they can’t hurt you’’ and in all his years as a junior, he never suffered so much as a scratch.

While many NRL observers are worried how the NSW Under-20s fullback will handle the big league, the Dragons just nod knowingly, having cultivated his wares since he was 13.

6aeb7ad80859742077797ae4edb9daa6

Matt Dufty crossing for one of his many tries as a Penshurst RSL junior.
“I got a letter to trial in the High Performance Unit that Wayne Bennett set up when I was 13 and I was the youngest kid there,’’ Dufty said. “All the gear was way too big.”

Not even heart surgery, to remove an ablation, which forced him out of the Dragons’ Harold Matthews Cup campaign when he was 14, could weigh Dufty down. The next season, in his first game back, he was named co-captain.

“I was scared, Mum was too,’’ Dufty said. “I got my last check-up when I was 18, so I’m in the clear.’’

Which is exactly where Dragons fans hope to see Dufty against the Gold Coast at Kogarah on Saturday afternoon.

Nothing but victory matters. They’ll need to show courage and commitment.

Just like little Matt Dufty.

j0nesy

Bench
Dufty's doing fine, and what an opportunity for the young bloke, the local junior, to turn out at the spiritual home ground of the club that he supported as a young bloke. Hopefully the extra media coverage doesn't phase him and hopefully the fans turn out in droves to support him.

Will he become an NRL star in the future? It's hard to say, but very possible based on form to date and potential. He'll make the odd mistake here and there, he'll slide in an out of form, he'll be injured from time to time and opposing teams will target him because of the threat he poses with the ball in hand. How he responds to that will determine whether he goes on to be an NRL star.

He will naturally put on a few kilos of muscle as he ages, I'd expect him to eventually play at 86-88kg in a few seasons.

I don't want to put the mock on him but I'll stick my neck out a bit and say he will be our fullback for the next several years. Go young fella, prove me right.

Drag Queen

Bench
I want to see Millward announce Dufty being extended for three more years[
Dufty's doing fine, and what an opportunity for the young bloke, the local junior, to turn out at the spiritual home ground of the club that he supported as a young bloke. Hopefully the extra media coverage doesn't phase him and hopefully the fans turn out in droves to support him.

Will he become an NRL star in the future? It's hard to say, but very possible based on form to date and potential. He'll make the odd mistake here and there, he'll slide in an out of form, he'll be injured from time to time and opposing teams will target him because of the threat he poses with the ball in hand. How he responds to that will determine whether he goes on to be an NRL star.

He will naturally put on a few kilos of muscle as he ages, I'd expect him to eventually play at 86-88kg in a few seasons.

I don't want to put the mock on him but I'll stick my neck out a bit and say he will be our fullback for the next several years. Go young fella, prove me right.
Meh. Still not sold. I'll bite lengths off my tongue when we face real opposition.

j0nesy

Bench
Meh. Still not sold. I'll bite lengths off my tongue when we face real opposition.

Yeah I'll be nervous for him when we're up against the likes of the Storm. He'll struggle from time to time, like any young rookie. But we need to show patience. In 2-3 year he'll be fine.

Drag Queen

Bench

At this point in time he is no better than Quinny. I do however like the no-bullying theme subjected to Mann and Quinlan. This kid is getting overs for being quite ordinary in actual play. Nothing bad, but definitely not great. His defence is woeful. Put him in a wing position.