What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dunley

El Diablo

Post Whore
What's doing with Dunley?

I haven't heard that we've re-signed him but I also haven't heard that anyone else has either :-k

Stagger eel

Staff member
he won't be at the club!! announced about 6 weeks ago and repeated about two dozen times.

Stagger eel

Staff member
ok!! I should of read the question a bit better. he apparently has a couple of feelers from here and abroad. But he won't land a big money deal in the NRL.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
From foxsports today:
"The Eels have confirmed they cannot keep form utility back Shayne Dunley because of salary-cap restrictions and prop Daniel Heckenberg looks set to join Manly.

Dunley and Heckenberg are on the bench for tomorrow night's match along with veteran Darren Treacy, who may yet play another season with the Eels after being lured out of retirement after a stint in England."

It's a shame about Dunley.

I thought Hex was off to England?

And Treacy still possibility of staying (always good to see players retained)... would have preferred to keep Dunley but he would be asking for more money. I hope Thorman is a worthy replacement.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Webster aint nowhere near as good as Dunley. Can't believe Smith signed him over Dunley.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
probably a lot cheaper.

and Smith isn't solely responsible for signings.

if anything, I'd say they signed Thorman instead of Dunley, and that was before Dunley's form peaked

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Two different things... Blacklock is an outside back and Parra wasn't looking like having much depth of quality outside backs. the Blacklock money was probably used on Grothe (and if you believe rumours, chasing Roberts as well).

Dunley is a dummy half/half and Parra seems to think it has enough of them with Witt, Morris, Dykes, Thorman, Webster, Hopkins, Hollingsworth, Robson and looks like letting a host of others go including Dunley, Green, S.Witt, Irvine.

Let's face it, while Dunley is good, he is unlikely to have been in the starting 17 next season, and for the money he'd be asking, it just wouldn't be worth keeping him.

El Diablo

Post Whore
eels2win said:
Two different things... Blacklock is an outside back and Parra wasn't looking like having much depth of quality outside backs. the Blacklock money was probably used on Grothe (and if you believe rumours, chasing Roberts as well).

We signed Grothe waaay before Blacklock re-signed with St-Illa.

Anyways, just going off what you posted it leaves the impression we didn't sign Dunley because of the salary cap, not because we had enough dummy halves.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
I don't know the full story, and the way it was explained in the media, I also thought that after Blacklock rejected Parra's offer we still had plenty of money, but someone else told me that Blacklock rejected Parra's offer before we signed Grothe.

My general argument is that yes, while the overall salary cap is stopping Parra from re-signing Dunley, part of the reason for that is that Parra wanted to use more of the money on outside backs rather than dummy halves/halves.

Anyway, all of this is fairly minor and picking at fine details. Looking at the overall balance of the squad for 2004, I'm quite happy as it is, and if we pick up one or two more players before the beginning of next season, fine. If not, it'll be sad to see players go, but it will be exciting to welcome the new players, and it's all part of the modern game.