What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DVD Recorders

ozbash

Referee
which are best, the ones with built in memory or the ones you have to use the disc in ?

Alan Shore

First Grade
I haven't looked at them much so I'm not 100% sure on the matter. Can you get recorders that have both built in memoery and the ability to record onto discs? That'd obviously be the best option, but it really depends on how much recording you want to do. If you want to record discs for people, play in the car or at other places then you'll need the disc recording function.

Razor

Coach
Buying a DVD recorder with a hard disk recorder is the best, but they are very expensice.

Second probably hard disk recorders would be the thing to buy, but they are also expensive.

DVD Recorders are cheaper but you can only record onto disc.

Razor

Coach
if you record to/from disc do you lose quality ?

Not if you record in the highest quality.

Players generally have between 2-8 quality levels. The lowest quality level usually sucks, the highest quality is perfect.

ozbash

Referee
got a panasonic with a h/d.

does anyone know
1, whats the diff between dvd-r and dvd+r ?
2,got some blank dvd from dick smith @ $ 5 ea-mitsubishi. found some japenese/no label dvd-r discs on an auction site varying in price from 70 cents to $1-50 ea. whats the difference between them and the $5 ones ?

put in a dvd ( shrek) into the recorder to d/l and copy. message came up about copyright protection etc. any way around this ?
apparently some (the footy show dvd) allow you 1 copy for back up, compatible with CPRM.

any help, gratefully received and i,m a dummy with the tech stuff. :D

ozbash

Referee
no, its like a vcr that you use with your tv, can record straight off the tv.
computer plays them, thats all.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Yeah, I know what you mean but I think the best way to backup DVD's is with a PC provided you have a DVD burner.

Razor

Coach
1, whats the diff between dvd-r and dvd+r ?

Just 2 different formats.

DVD+R & DVD-R are like Beta and VHS. They are competing.

DVD-R will probably end up winning the battle, but since the discs are the same size and players can play both formats, unlike Beta & VHS, they both might stay.

There's also DVD-RAM which is rarely used on DVD Recorders. It's often only used for computers - and for data it's 1000 times better than DVD-R & DVD+R

2,got some blank dvd from dick smith @ $ 5 ea-mitsubishi. found some japenese/no label dvd-r discs on an auction site varying in price from 70 cents to $1-50 ea. whats the difference between them and the $5 ones ?

Just the quality. Same as the cheap CDs vs the expensive CDs and cheap VHS tapes vs expensive VHS tapes. The more expensive the more reliable they are.

put in a dvd ( shrek) into the recorder to d/l and copy. message came up about copyright protection etc. any way around this ?

Macrovision.

There are plenty of cracks that can bypass Macrovision. Sometimes you just enter a code, other times you have to modify chips inside.