What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dwyer De registered by tigers

innsaneink

Referee
Wests Tigers officials have made the difficult decision to de-register forward Simon Dwyer.
It is a further blow to Dwyer's dream of returning to football after suffering nerve damage to his shoulder in 2011.
Dwyer signed a $200,000-plus contract only months before the injury.
He is making slow progress and the Tigers have told him they will re-sign him if the injury comes good.
He will also work for the club in an off-field role.

An awful injury and terrible luck for Simon, hopefully he comes good, though it seems a long shot.
Good to see the club sticking by him - will re-sign him if fit, employing him.
Wheres dean f**kwits backpage headline on this?

Last edited:
He shouldn't need to be deregistered. We're what, 3 and a half months out from the start of the season and we've known for well over a month that he wasn't playing at all. Surely common sense tells you that his salary shouldn't count towards the cap, just like it shouldn't have with Johnny Mannah.

Fordy20

Juniors
He shouldn't need to be deregistered. We're what, 3 and a half months out from the start of the season and we've known for well over a month that he wasn't playing at all. Surely common sense tells you that his salary shouldn't count towards the cap, just like it shouldn't have with Johnny Mannah.

That's the problem. The NRL made a stupid decision with Mannah and now they have to perpetuate the stupid decision because the original stupid decision set a precedent. Common sense won't prevail until the one of the glamour clubs is affected and take a stand against the NRL.

moes

Bench
Let's hedge our bets tigers, deregister him and promise to resign him if he comes good. ... Probably has a clause included that he can't sign with another club.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
i get the feeling our salary cap was probably a smidge over, otherwise I doubt the club would have bothered with this decision.

Vic Mackey

Referee
completely devastated for the bloke

tuikai was terrible but he was 28, simon was only what, 21? theres no doubts at all he was heading to a long rep career

fingers crossed he can get it right again....

I honestly thought Dwyer was the next big thing forward pack wise, sort of Luke O'Donnell like, all the best for the fella and hope regardless of what happens he prospers.

Bench
Does de-registering him mean his salary is discounted from the cap?
Yes,basically he is a free agent,but the club is prepared to re-sign him if he comes good,I hope he can regain a normal life foremost,after that anything is a bonus.

to_ddeath

Coach
You should all feel very lucky that the bloke has any remote chance of being back to normal condition after the way he was taken off the field..........

T.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does de-registering him mean his salary is discounted from the cap?
I was of the impression his salary was ended. He'd receive compensation and medical costs, but those amounts would not be included in the salary cap and would go close to being around the same figure as his salary anyways.

It just frees up some cash and a spot on the roster, while still ensuring he gets looked after and paid.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any news on Simon's recovery? Has the operation worked. I saw footage of him recently and his arm is still in a sling. I recall him saying he was confident of a return mid 2013.

super_coach

First Grade
1000/1 he makes it back to the NRL, really sad. When you think of it, it is very rare in such a hard sport for a player to suffer a career ending injury and we a two in two years.I hope he kicks a massive goal in his life after the NRL

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I'd rather a fully fit Dwyer than Blair any day. Oh well.............

Anyway, I hope things go well for Dwyer in the future no matter how the injury goes.

slacko87

Juniors
I'll put money on him playing again, he has youth on his side, I'm not sure when though, it doesn't look like it will be 2013.