What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dykes vs Witt

Avenger

Immortal
I will admit that Dykes has been good for us this year. He is only just turned 27. He really does seem to be a halfback, as he has that little bit of extra time to do things that he did not have at number 6. . The problem is that Michael Witt is also a number 7. I know plenty of people will say Witt could slot into the number 6, but there seem to be more natural 5/8 options than Witt. Muspratt and Thorman come to mind. I know that Witt has signed for 4 years, but assuming Dykes is the future he will hold onto the 7 jersey for at least this amount of time, meaning Witt may ask for a release. Whether we give him one is a topic that will emerge. Whatever happens the management that we have must think beyond the square because we have another potential star also coming through and his name is Tim Smith.

Agent Mulder

Bench
Wagon in PL.
Hindmarsh to Lock.
Muckert to 2nd row.
Graham to Centers.
Thorman to Half
Dykes to 5/8.

We have no creativey what so ever with a lock at 5/8.

Glenn

First Grade
hmmm 40+ tackles to Wags and to PL :shock:

Still not totally convinced Thorman is at NRL standard yet, he has hardly been a standout in the PL so really nothing to suggest he is ready for promotion(yet)

Chipmunk

Coach
Glenn said:
hmmm 40+ tackles to Wags and to PL :shock:

Still not totally convinced Thorman is at NRL standard yet, he has hardly been a standout in the PL so really nothing to suggest he is ready for promotion(yet)

I have heard that McKinnon has been nothing but ordinary in Premier League, but I guess it didnt stop Smith giving him a run.

Thorman will be better than someone like O'Dwyer, but he got a run.

Avenger

Immortal
Surely Witt will play number 6 now, with all our injuries to the backs. I reckon Wagon might go to centre now, which leaves number 6 open. Place Thorman on the bench for some nice dummy half work when the opposition forwards get tired. Man I wish I was the coach.

parralight

Juniors
Avenger we are wasting our time .... No doubt the following will happen

Mc Kinnon will be the long term fullback
Burt will be lock
Wise will find a spot somewhere in the side

AND WITHOUT A DOUBT - Wagon will be the 5/8.

The Colonel

Immortal
Seeing as Langi seemed to limp off late in the second half with some sort of leg injury I wouldn't be surprised to see either Wagon, Muckert or Graham in the centres this week provided Langi can't back up. That should with any luck shore up our defence.

As for the call to get Dykes out of half - why? We lack creativity so you want to change the main combination that has at least been creating attacking opportunity for us? People need to take a deep breath and look at where people (in particular Witt and Thorman) are being played. Witt is wearing number six for the same reason that Thorman is wearing number 7 in first division. Witt clearly played the second receiver role that he is currently playing in first division for the late season games once Dykes had returned.

Thorman is used mainly from dummy-half or one off the ruck. Forget what he did in England - as I have said before there is a huge gap between ESL and NRL when blokes like Michael Korkidas and Gavin Clinch can get starting roles after struggling to get a look in off the PL bench. He would more than likely have been used in the role that Webster has been used in in previous weeks (which is part of what we lacked on Saturday night - enthusiasm).

Hopefully now with the injuries to Vaealiki and possibly Langi we may see a re-structure in the halves.

1. Burt
2. Petersen
3. Langi/Graham
4. Muckert/Wagon
5. Grothe
6. Witt
7. Dykes

14. Thorman

In all honesty to make up for the lack of creativity this would be the ideal situation however at the very least the inclusion of Witt or Thorman somewhere in the 17 will make a difference in attack and enthusiasm.

Parraren

Bench
I agree with Colonel. Wagon is the logical replacement for Vaealiki at left centre. Graham didn't play in any grade last weekend so it seems he's a LOOOOONG way off coming into FG so I'd stick with Langi for now. I don't think Muckert has enough speed or fitness to play in the centres either.

The 2 locks experiment has brought us some victories to date but it's starting to look very ordinary. Our standard of play has been generally quite poor despite us getting away with more victories than defeats. One thing's for sure, it's definitely not going to win us a premiership. Bring Witty in now and let's start building some combinations between our 5/8 & half. It's essential we have a dummy half off the bench as well so either Thorman or Webster need to be in the No. 14.

1. Burt
2. Petersen
3. Langi
4. Wagon
5. Grothe

6. Witt
7. Dykes

14. Webster or Thorman

I don't know why we waste our time though Colonel because knowing Smith he will go with the following;

1. McKinnon
2. Petersen
3. Langi
4. Burt
5. Grothe

6. Wagon
7. Dykes

14. Not Webster or Thorman :roll:

Pazza

First Grade
I really cant see Wagon and Langi being a brilliant centre combination. The sooner Graham and a young guy step up the better!

Parraren

Bench
I don't know why we waste our time though Colonel because knowing Smith he will go with the following;

1. McKinnon
2. Petersen
3. Langi
4. Burt
5. Grothe

6. Wagon
7. Dykes

14. Not Webster or Thorman

:lol: told you!

1 – Wade McKINNON
2 - Matt PETERSEN
3 - Junior LANGI