What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dylan Egan - Have We Struck Gold?

mickeylane

Bench

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
everything going for him but maybe size for 2024 and dominating?

Sounds like preference is right edge backrow (especially given Hunts comments re Egan defending next to him)

Currently that is Sua's spot?

BTW Liam Martin actually only played FG in 2019 ie when 22yrs of age

I heard Egan is approx 182cm and 95kg and still just 19yrs? so up to 3 years younger would Egan be if getting into the 17.

massive difference in age and experience. So kudos to Egan to be a possible player in our top17 just turning 20yrs old.

Dylan is relentless in attack and defence and smart footy head.

For me he reminds me of Victor Radley coming through the grades but given he is an edge backrower makes sense the Liam Martin comparison re size, height and style at same age

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

Sounds like preference is right edge backrow (especially given Hunts comments re Egan defending next to him)

I heard Egan is approx 182cm and 95kg and still just 19yrs? so up to 3 years younger would Egan be if getting into the 17.

massive difference in age and experience. So kudos to Egan to be a possible player in our top17 just turning 20yrs old.

For me he reminds me of Victor Radley coming through the grades but given he is an edge backrower makes sense the Liam Martin comparison re size, height and style at same age
I didnt think he was that tall, seemed shorter to me but stand to be corrected.

Parko1310

Juniors

Su'a is playing left this year. Right edge is up for grabs it seems currently between Eisenhuth, RFM and Egan

TheRev

First Grade

This is the issue, our juniors are atleast 2-3yrs off from holding their own in 1st grade. Toby Couchman was a complete freak.. but even he needs experienced first graders to shield him for atleast another year or so... you have to look at the quality of the opposition, most teams field rep level packs...

The one I'm surprised we havent locked up is Nick Tsougranis, our U19 origin 2nd rower, I thought he would be in front of Egan and Halangahu (Both in our Top30 next year)... I think Nick will replace Russell/Shereb as a 2025 Dev Player... but hes only on a train and trial currently, curious why that is.. maybe the other guys just snuck in at the negotiation table first?

This is the2024 list:

Dragons 2024 supplementary list players​

Corey Ackers, Josh Coric, Dylan Egan, Connor Muhleisen, Jackson Shereb, Hamish Stewart

Dragons 2024 train and trial players​

Hayden Buchanan, Finau Latu, Jett Liu, Lyhkan King-Togia, Loko Pasifiki Tonga, Kade Reed, Nick Tsougranis, Jacob Webster

Parko1310

Juniors
This is the issue, our juniors are atleast 2-3yrs off from holding their own in 1st grade. Toby Couchman was a complete freak.. but even he needs experienced first graders to shield him for atleast another year or so... you have to look at the quality of the opposition, most teams field rep level packs...

The one I'm surprised we havent locked up is Nick Tsougranis, our U19 origin 2nd rower, I thought he would be in front of Egan and Halangahu (Both in our Top30 next year)... I think Nick will replace Russell/Shereb as a 2025 Dev Player... but hes only on a train and trial currently, curious why that is.. maybe the other guys just snuck in at the negotiation table first?

This is the2024 list:

Corey Ackers, Josh Coric, Dylan Egan, Connor Muhleisen, Jackson Shereb, Hamish Stewart

Hayden Buchanan, Finau Latu, Jett Liu, Lyhkan King-Togia, Loko Pasifiki Tonga, Kade Reed, Nick Tsougranis, Jacob Webster
Nick T already has a supp/dev contract for 2025 (announced last July). Nothing beyond that as yet, but he is locked in for this year (T&T) and next (supp).

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade

This is the2024 list:

Mate I think that’s why we have step change contracts

1 year Esienhuth $200k for 2024 max
2 year RFM $350k pa max due to Dog offsets

This takes us up to end of 2025 with both players able to play edge or middle with a reasonable amount of experience and ability

Equally these guys can shift into the middle if an emerging edge backrower shoots ahead like Egan, NickT, Latu etc

They also cover no13 if we can NOT find a win win with JDB for 2025.

Well staggered RFM and Eisenhuth
Good value
Good experience
Quality humans
Good ability
Stepped out ready for the emerging talent be it Luki and or be it from within

At this stage u would argue Luki trumps our youth if we got him…… he is a talent !!!

I like that Flano hasn’t budged on Sua yet.

Flano said Sua is waiting to see how the season goes to drive up the price.

I like Sua but I don’t think he is an elite second rower. Right player at right price vs others we may want to break the bank for.

qld redvee

Juniors
This is what we have been waiting for a bloody good junior .. NOW if egan progresses and is given proper development coaching to become an established first grader DO we need to chase the 2 cowboy second rowers ???
you would think we have to offer a 3 year deal and very good dollars and if we sign them we then get the situation of does egan stick around OR does he get offers to play first grade so he gets grabbed by another team and we lose.
I would like to hope egan does become first grade and we get to benefit from a lower contract initially and we begin our copycat version of penrith

st.phil

Bench

Maybe Hunt has switched to left, Flanno Jr normally right side

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Flano Snr has said a few times now in the media that it is working well with Flano Jnr on the left as he has a strong kicking game left side vs Ben who is more right side dominated

Probably makes sense to have Sua left with Kyle given that Ben Hunt is a very strong half defender on the right already and can probably better handle a new right edge

Less pressure on Kyle

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Yes I actually think we will pull out from chasing Luki/Finefeuiaki.. the fact that we signed RFM and this BMW might indicate that its happened already.... plus several 2nd rowers already signed for our squad next year.. it was different if we could have gotten one of them for 2024.. but that ship has sailed.

Now don't get me wrong.. the cowboys kids are several years ahead of our army of very young 2nd rowers.. they definitely improve us over Eisenhuth/Russell/RFM and they are younger with more upside.. but they arent coming without a long contract.. and if Su'a signs that 3-4yr contract.. then imo the other 2nd row spot is taken by whoever steps up first in 2025... we should be chasing other positions.

Other than the marquee prop (if one came up), I think 1-7 could all be improved, and I still bet we are chasing a young hooker after missing iPape/Brailey/Woolford/whoever... even if its for NSW Cup..I got the impression from insiders that Mulheissen has already been trumped by Marshke, but even if we kept him, I think there is room for another one around our top squad... given that hookers rarely play 80 minutes. I dont know who we have behind Connor currently.. Haele Finau is still around but I havent heard his name in ages.