What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dylan Egan - Have We Struck Gold?

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Equally Dylan and one or two others we may be working on right now to extend a year

That would still allow us to go after Luki right now and announce after one or two juniors that we rate highly have committed another year to their contracts

There must be a real buzz in the air right now with the new professionalism and optimistic future

Egan a couple other would be mad not to extend

That would be the depth we need to be a real top4 team

Ie have a serious starting team with serious juniors pushing the selection committee hard every single week

Trifili13

Juniors
I don't follow the lower teams closely so I like to read what others that follow them closely write on the forum. Even if we sign the best 4 or 5, I can't see why we should still not be able to sign 1 or 2 or even 3 SOO level quality players given that the top teams seem to be able to fit them under their cap. These young guys, while wanting decent money to stay, can't demand big bucks as they are not proven NRL players. And I can't see other teams paying huge sums for them that we would not be able to match. The problem comes if you pay them 400 to 500k per year on potential so they don't leave and they don't progress.

What we need is 3 to 4 to come through at the same time, want to stay together and we can then build a team around them and hopefully 1 or 2 others come through each year after that, rather than having to continuously go to market to buy stars and stuff your cap up. If you are continuously producing players then you can let some go as you have the "next up" mentality like Penrith has now.

Victoire

Juniors
Those quotes from Ben Hunt are nice to see

The teenager crucially appears to have the support of Dragons captain Ben Hunt after the club’s chief playmaker notably name-checked Egan during a recent interview with his masthead.

“Dylan Egan is a young kid who has really impressed me since we’ve come back,:” Hunt said.

“He’s no frills, you tell him what to do, he gets it done. He’s one of the fittest forwards we’ve got, he always seems to be in the right spot at the right time and makes really good decisions defensively.

“He just does all the little things right. He reminds me of Matt Gillett who played alongside me at the Broncos, they just never let their teammate down.
“He’s been very impressive.”

Flanagan has clearly been impressed as well. Asked about the prospect for Egan playing in round one, Flanagan said: “He is a legit hope. He is a tough back rower. he is going to be a long term first grader.

“He is Liam Martin all over. He is as tough as nails, smart footy player, he talks really well in team meetings and understands footy.

“Ben (Hunt) is quite happy to have him defend next to him so that is a rap. He is a genuine hope. Round one is an ask but Dylan Egan is a player of the future.”

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Dylan Egan can be as good as Gillett or Liam Martin, then Saints have struck gold. Both great competitors. Hunt praises Hook and still thinks we can win a comp under him so not sure how to take his praise for anyone anymore.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
If Dylan Egan can be as good as Gillett or Liam Martin, then Saints have struck gold. Both great competitors. Hunt praises Hook and still thinks we can win a comp under him so not sure how to take his praise for anyone anymore.
I've never heard him say anything positive before to be fair.

To be fair, there hasn't been much to be positive about and we all know that.

Hunt doesn't have a habit of talking others up. Egan apparently dominated the scrimmage.

Dragon David

First Grade
we will surprise a few
I hope we surprise a lot. We need much more of a successful year in 2024 to entice players to the club. A dud year under Flanno could result in leaner times in getting the decent players to join our club, if needed, which will be a bugger. In this case I hope that our juniors will become the decent players of the future for us and we can build and make this club enormous through them. Lots of hope riding on these juniors.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I've never heard him say anything positive before to be fair.

He often did praise Bud, Amone and Sloan and say he was looking forward to supporting their transition into NRL and that these guys were our future but how much did he mean it. He kicked stones when asked to play hooker.

After his outbursts during Origin about the club and him getting a release, Ben has really lost any trust I have for him. It left a really bad taste and showed how much he was in it for himself. I had some doubt that he was blocking Bud's path, his attitude last year confirmed it to me.

Last edited:

Lennyb

Juniors
He often did praise Bud, Amone and Sloan and say he was looking forward to supporting their transition into NRL and that these guys were our future but how much did he mean it. He kicked stones when asked to play hooker.

After his outbursts during Origin about the club and him getting a release, Ben has really lost any trust I have for him. It left a really bad taste and showed how much he was in it for himself. I had some doubt that he was blocking Bud's path, his attitude last year confirmed it to me.
Pressure is mounting. Needs a really good year.

Only way he will be in a GF winning side now, is if he wears the 9 or 14.

Boat has sailed.

Draginzaaar

Bench
I hope we surprise a lot. We need much more of a successful year in 2024 to entice players to the club. A dud year under Flanno could result in leaner times in getting the decent players to join our club, if needed, which will be a bugger. In this case I hope that our juniors will become the decent players of the future for us and we can build and make this club enormous through them. Lots of hope riding on these juniors.
Why can the Tigers attract players?

TheRev

First Grade
Why can the Tigers attract players?
They hunted marquees years ago (Api in particular as the captain and playmaker).. and it all flowed from there, names attract names.. and then the board reset and richo is absolute gravy on top... if it doesnt go well on field this year, I think Richo will be there to guide them.... probably as the CEO.

As for the Dragons.. its always easy in hindsight... but I would have had opened the chequebook bigtime for any of the spine players we went after.. we needed that big first kill and we missed it.. and now our rebuild is a much longer and more painful process.

Lennyb

Juniors
Round 1 mate. Penrith beat themselves on the bell last week. Never the less, good win but no one should be getting beat by the Dragons especially Penrith.
Cleary the foundations are cracking. Get onto Freddy asap.

Pappa Gus will wright the ship. Haha.

Parko1310

Juniors
Round 1 mate. Penrith beat themselves on the bell last week. Never the less, good win but no one should be getting beat by the Dragons especially Penrith.
Hey mate, as both the Steelers and Dragons SG sides prepare to play finals over the coming weeks, with Penrith not a feature at all, I'd just like to remind you there is still time to delete this take

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Maybe Black Panther might have to drop his cologne for “London Gentleman”

the gasoline fumes might messing with the “ambitious” neural pathways 😂😀