What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eel can put feelers out but Grothe wants to stay

Eelementary

Post Whore
We need Grothe imo. His metres from kick returns and out of dummy-half are invaluable. His offloads, when selected carefully, are a great asset. And he has awesome speed.

yy_cheng

Coach
We need Grothe imo. His metres from kick returns and out of dummy-half are invaluable. His offloads, when selected carefully, are a great asset. And he has awesome speed.

I'd rather a
1. Hayne
2. Grothe (left wing - he used to play there before switching to the right)
3. Inu (left centre)
4. Reddy
5. TT

than what we have this week.

The problem that I see as does BigFella is the gap between Finch and the centre is quite far away. So we tend to allow oppositions an overlap there.

We need the right Centre (Reddy) and Right winger to compress and slide and we won't be so vulnerable.

I don't see that gap on the LHS as much. Maybe coz Hindy is there.

If Grithe just holds on instead of offloading, he is much more valuable than our current wingers + TT.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Interesting you should mention that, yy. I remember a while back Gus was going on about people with good right arm fends playing on the left of the field (so as to better utilise their fends) and vice versa.

I also think it's no coincidence that some of Guruju's best footy has come on the left wing.

yy_cheng

Coach
In '05, Grothe and Smith were Dynamic. They shut down many opposing centres/wing combos.

I remember they even shut down Gaz/Best.

They also switched to the right probably to cater for Tahu on the left.

I thought that was weird back then but it was maybe because Brian Smith wanted them to show their flexibility by switching sides. I recall they sometime switched mid-game.

I think Benny brought out the best in Grothe but since Benny has been injured, Grothe has faded away. I think Benny covered alot of the defensive lapses that Grothe had.

Tim Smith's departure also led to Grothe's downfall. No one in the current team knows how to use him. Sterlo used to throw cutout passes to Grothe Snr. Timmy used to bomb to a high jumping Grothe.

But alas no more.

Eels Dude

Coach
Interesting you should mention that, yy. I remember a while back Gus was going on about people with good right arm fends playing on the left of the field (so as to better utilise their fends) and vice versa.

I also think it's no coincidence that some of Guruju's best footy has come on the left wing.

How many length of the field breaks and tries has he scored sprinting down the left hand touchline. All his best at least.

hybrideel

Bench
IF you are talking about stats for who is the better player you need to take into account the teams possession % for each game as well. If all the games Williams was playing we had 60% possession and only 40% for Grothes then those stats would tell the true story. Also how well the team as a whole played and how the confidence level was.
Is it fair to judge stats on 1 game if 1 player played against Melbourne and the other against the Bulldogs?

hybrideel

Bench
How many length of the field breaks and tries has he scored sprinting down the left hand touchline. All his best at least.

First game i took my girlfriend to. Against the cowboys 06 at Parra stadium. Grothe get's the ball inside our own 10, bumps of a player or 2 and then outsprints matt sing(or was it bowen?) to the line

andrew057

First Grade
I think Benny brought out the best in Grothe but since Benny has been injured, Grothe has faded away. I think Benny covered alot of the defensive lapses that Grothe had.

Wow, Ben Smith makes more defensive mistakes then Grothe does. Sure Ben was a great one on one tackler but his decisions in defense suck.

Bigfella

Coach
There is no doubt the organisation of that right hand side defense is totally shot.

Smith and Grothe didn't become terrible defenders overnight; and their replacements have done as bad if not worse.

When Ben came back he was dropping abck behind the line like a winger expecting a kick. I never worked that out.

As yy says there seems to be a large gap between Finch and the centre; but the winger seems to jam up tight against the centre and in off his wing to start with.

All up, it's overlap city.

caylo

Bench
Apart from the last try on the weekend, we haven't scored a try from outside 20 metres in 3 weeks.

A few reasons for that

- Mateo stick to his left (i dunno why) he plays better on the right, and utilizes his step better. Should relay have roaming right, and play everywhere and anywhere.

- Timmy was responisble for alot of our long range tries, Finch has a cool head and can set up tries close to the line (i.e Hayne in close against the tigers) but from long range he doesn't have the skill. Keating is someon who may change that thou.

- PJ work out of dumby half (mostly his running) is missed a little. Keating is generally much better than both Riddell and Marsh, but he isn't as quick as PJ to make those long breaks.

- Forwards lack passing, something that is actually improving (i.e Cayless onto Finch for Robos try). With one out stuff we will never score long range tries.

Parra Guru

Coach
wtf? Wasn't Grothe that said he wanted out.... It was the club who came out saying that he was welcome to negotiate. Which, I'm led to believe, was actually blown out of proportion by the media after a tiny comment made bu Hages in an interview.

Then Eric has publically come out the next day to clear it up and say he wants to stay, so I don't see where all the speculation is?

yy_cheng

Coach
A few reasons for that

- Mateo stick to his left (i dunno why) he plays better on the right, and utilizes his step better. Should relay have roaming right, and play everywhere and anywhere.

- Timmy was responisble for alot of our long range tries, Finch has a cool head and can set up tries close to the line (i.e Hayne in close against the tigers) but from long range he doesn't have the skill. Keating is someon who may change that thou.

- PJ work out of dumby half (mostly his running) is missed a little. Keating is generally much better than both Riddell and Marsh, but he isn't as quick as PJ to make those long breaks.

- Forwards lack passing, something that is actually improving (i.e Cayless onto Finch for Robos try). With one out stuff we will never score long range tries.

Tha's the only reason I prefer Feleti at 6. He roves more . At 13, he just hangs around on the left.

Utey

Coach
Fix your D, do something in the lower grades and then talk about coming back.

Parra Guru

Coach
Fix your D, do something in the lower grades and then talk about coming back.

:lol: And all the other wingers have been making it look real impossible to get past haven't they?

Seriously, nothing Guru does can make people happy. If he didn't come out saying he wants to stick it out and come back, you'd be on here saying he's got no commitment etc.

Latest posts