What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Chasing Maitua

mrpwnd

Bench
Matua goes ok. The biggest doubt is whether he'll be able to behave himself off the field and in that respect, I have my doubts.

Suity

I won't hold my breath regarding his behaviour, but it seems the NRL has recently come into light with all these re-structured ex-bad boys. Todd Carney, Greg Bird(Too a smaller extent), even Jarryd Hayne had his sh*t times. I'd say Maitua's PROBABLY learnt a lesson from his 2 year ban, again, I won't hold my breath.

Chipmunk

Coach
You would think that Maitua would come pretty cheap initially and as a former Australian representative, if he is in the right frame of mind, I think he would be great. I think our pack as it stands for next year will have plenty of go foward and work rate amongst it, but one thing it will lose with Mateo going is alot of creativity. I actually think Maitua could be the right player at the right price. We shall see

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Putting it this way, Justin Horo has done much better work this year then Reni did in his last 3 years of NRL. I hope the Dogs sign him and I hope he does well there for them, us, I think we have better options.

Forty20

First Grade
Bulldogs decide they don't want Reni Maitua
By Josh Massoud and James Phelps From:The Daily Telegraph August 18

THERE will be no sentimental homecoming for Reni Maitua next season, with the Bulldogs yesterday declining to offer their one-time utility a lifeline in a move that all but guarantees another former star - Greg Eastwood - will now return to Belmore instead.

Canterbury were widely tipped to welcome Maitua back when his drugs suspension end in May 2011, but a meeting last Friday with coach Kevin Moore and CEO Todd Greenberg failed to satisfy either party. Maitua is now favoured to join Parramatta, whose board on Monday night unanimously gave Eels CEO Paul Osborne its blessing to make an offer.

Three other clubs have also expressed interest, but the Eels are keen to fill New Zealand-bound Feleti Mateo's No. 13 jersey.

Greenberg last night confirmed the Bulldogs were out of the running. "We had a frank and open discussion with Reni and we've decided not to reopen it," he said.

"Sometimes you have to go through a process before making a tough decision and we've done that.

"If our recruitment around Greg Eastwood comes off, then there's probably not enough room for another back-rower at the club.

"We really wish Reni well because he is still held in high esteem at the club."

Maitua's agent Sam Ayoub said there was no shortage of suitors for the 29-year-old.

"Reni wanted to do the right thing and repay the Bulldogs, and things could've been handled a little better from their end," Ayoub said.

Eastwood has been granted permission to break his three-year deal with Leeds and return to the Bulldogs, but both clubs are still negotiating a transfer fee.

EXPECTING to sign veteran centre Colin Best this week, Cronulla have also emerged as a surprise contender for another evergreen three-quarter - Eric Grothe Jr.

Grothe, 30, is looking less likely to stay at Parramatta beyond this year and lives in Cronulla, where he's also just opened a cafe with Sharks and former Eels hooker John Morris.

Clicky

Also a little snippet about Eric Grothe Jnr.

caylo

Bench
to be honest Reni could fit very well in our team. Now remembering he is not avaliable until may which would be around round 8-10ish.
Reni could very well work well on the back of a pack going forward, he has the ability to offload and ball play and at the very worst would add some experiance to our pack. I would happily sign him and someone like Mason on small contracts if they were well behaved.

stuke

Bench
you don't want Maitua and Mason, it would have to be one or the other.

Mason still wants the $ and I still have massive ??? on his influence, especially with the younger guys. one year in NQ and he is magically reformed....then why aren't NQ using LOD's money to snap him up?

Maitua definitely has something to prove... whether that is positive or negative is up to him.

True EEL

Bench
Hope we re-sign Justin Horo

however, DT article today said that the Dogs have officially pulled their offer to Reni and states that all signs point to him signing with Parra as the Parra Board gave PO the green light to make him a serious offer......????

boxhead

First Grade
Hmm.
That will probably mean our forward pack next year (if we sign Maitua and resign Horo and also sign a prop, eg Willie Mason for example);

8. Tim Mannah
9. Matt Keating
10. Justin Poore
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Reni Maitua
14. Anthony Mitchell
15. Justin Horo
16. Fui Fui Moi Moi
17. Willie Mason

That's still a killer forward pack....

True EEL

Bench
Hmm.
That will probably mean our forward pack next year (if we sign Maitua and resign Horo and also sign a prop, eg Willie Mason for example);

8. Tim Mannah
9. Matt Keating
10. Justin Poore
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Reni Maitua
14. Anthony Mitchell
15. Justin Horo
16. Fui Fui Moi Moi
17. Willie Mason

That's still a killer forward pack....

it is a very good hypothetical pack, but don't overlook Shack and Lasalo, or even Piggy as an impact running forward if that rumour was close to true??? and i would probably still maybe steer away from Willie, but hmmm, not sure???

Forty20

First Grade
Where does all this leave Lee Te Maari?

Lasalo has re-signed and we have Pat O'Hanlon on the rise. Will he be taking Oake's spot?