What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels: end of an era?

L

legend

I have to say with Andrew Ryan signing with the Dogs and Ian Hindmarsh off to Canberra, the Eels of 2003 look a lot worse for ware than the side that dominated the competition last year. The depth they so proudly boasted over th elast couple of season is no longer evident and a few injuries could well see them as also rans for next season. This is how I see their side for next year:

Hodgson
Moodie
Lyon
Veaeliki
Richards
Dykes
Morris
Wagon
Hindmarsh
Solomona
Cayless
Irvine
Vella

Res: Burt, Widders, Heckenburg, Chan.

Certainly not the imposing side of the last couple of years.

The eels tend to buy really well.
I think they will pick up a few guys who will do a Jason Taylor or a Moodie or a Buettner. Guys who seem to be finished, but prove they still have something to offer. One thing you have to give to Smith, he knows a good footballer when he sees one, and often sees one where others can't.

Picking up Matt Petersen was a Smith master stroke.
I thought Petersen was a better back than Anthony Quinn, Neil Sweeney, Paul Franze, and almost as good as Kurt Gidley when all those guys played for the Knights First div side last year. Petersen will blossom under Smith.

imported_midas

Juniors
Broncs & Knights are having the same problem in maintaining depth due to the ludicrous salary cap which caters to the lowest common denominator.One day the NRL will realise that you achieve the greatest long-term result by setting the bar as high as possible not as low as possible

Dog

Juniors
Sorry guys, but I couldn't resist drawing comparisons to the Doggies on the note of Midas' post. The point where the Bulldogs are even more amazing here this year and well into the next few is the enormous depth at the club. Watch out - we'll be a force for a few years yet.
Another thing - the Broncos and also Melbourne need to build up a base so they can a first division club running - and the Cowboys should also try and get back in there - we need the lower blokes to become reasonably national too. (Now I'vejust gone right off on the tangent)

dog

M

meltiger

Dog, Melbourne already have Brissie Norths were they send some of the more talented youngsters from the MJRL and their second stringers.

I don't really see the need for them to field aNSWRL side given, you could probably say atm, bar one or two teams the QRL would be the stronger competition.

I thought it was great seeing the Young Cowboys in there but realistically, we all know the game is a business now, these games when stand alone attract about 100-200 people, 500 if you are very very lucky.

The finances are just not there for the teams outside of NSW to field a side.

I still think there is a case to be made for all the teams to field three grades again but, really can anyone ever see that happening again in the game?

imported_midas

Juniors
Dog
The Bulldogs problems are just beginning.Matt Utai is probably on next to nothing and will now command big bucks.Willie Mason has achieved Test status and will be looking for an upgrade.Brent Sherwin has come from relative obscurity to top 3 ranking and could command bigger bucks.Anasta,s next contract will be considerably larger than his first and so it goes on.This is the cruellest part of the ridiculous salary cap-once you have put together a top-class side as the Dogs have done,it makes it virtually impossible to keep it together without rorting the cap.All theoretically for the purpose of propping up the weaker(badly managed) clubs. What a crock!

Latest posts