What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Dibs

Bench
Screw rumours, they're made up by journos who have nothing better to do with their lives. Both people need to realise that neither is above the other, if they aren't mature enough to understand that then neither should be in the position in the first place. I don't know why you read it like that, why did you read it like that?
and chiefy

Gazzamatta

Coach
Screw rumours, they're made up by journos who have nothing better to do with their lives. Both people need to realise that neither is above the other, if they aren't mature enough to understand that then neither should be in the position in the first place. I don't know why you read it like that, why did you read it like that?
Like I said, in my former life I dealt with Unions and they were always determined to have "double meaning clauses" inserted in any negotiation. Im probably just paranoid OA. I love BA but ive always had the feeling, right or wrong, that he wants to run the whole show and this is why hes struggling. I wondered how hed cope with a GM of Footy and just when its finally going to happen, the GMs responsibility is lessened. I hope we get the perfect appointment and everything works perfectly and I can stop looking for issues that may not exist. Thats my wish.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Like I said, in my former life I dealt with Unions and they were always determined to have "double meaning clauses" inserted in any negotiation. Im probably just paranoid OA. I love BA but ive always had the feeling, right or wrong, that he wants to run the whole show and this is why hes struggling. I wondered how hed cope with a GM of Footy and just when its finally going to happen, the GMs responsibility is lessened. I hope we get the perfect appointment and everything works perfectly and I can stop looking for issues that may not exist. Thats my wish.
Maybe think of it a slightly different way. At the moment our CEO has to do two jobs (CEO and GM of Footy) and as a result doesn't have the time to oversee what BA is doing.

When a GM Footy is appointed BA should be much more accountable, just to the CEO rather than the GM Footy. The CEO can take advice from the GM Footy and act accordingly. He also gets the perspective of the coach (rather than being filtered by the GM Footy).

Having a coach report to a GM Footy who reports to the CEO is problematic for a couple of reasons imo:

1. It puts the coach too low down the food chain.
2. It runs the risk of creating a Gus/Griffin type scenario where the GM Footy starts to get into the day to day shit which is responsibility of the coach.

Also, any talk of BA wanting to 'run the whole show' is not consistent with what some of the well connected LU forum members have suggested. My understanding from what others have said is:

# After the success of last year Max et al didn't think it was needed (and didn't want to spend the money).
# BA probably contributed to the situation by suffering quietly rather than throwing a tantrum and absolutely demanding some more support. I am sure someone suggested that he did raise it. Maybe @emjaycee?

Gazzamatta

Coach
Maybe think of it a slightly different way. At the moment our CEO has to do two jobs (CEO and GM of Footy) and as a result doesn't have the time to oversee what BA is doing.

When a GM Footy is appointed BA should be much more accountable, just to the CEO rather than the GM Footy. The CEO can take advice from the GM Footy and act accordingly. He also gets the perspective of the coach (rather than being filtered by the GM Footy).

Having a coach report to a GM Footy who reports to the CEO is problematic for a couple of reasons imo:

1. It puts the coach too low down the food chain.
2. It runs the risk of creating a Gus/Griffin type scenario where the GM Footy starts to get into the day to day shit which is responsibility of the coach.

Also, any talk of BA wanting to 'run the whole show' is not consistent with what some of the well connected LU forum members have suggested. My understanding from what others have said is:

# After the success of last year Max et al didn't think it was needed (and didn't want to spend the money).
# BA probably contributed to the situation by suffering quietly rather than throwing a tantrum and absolutely demanding some more support. I am sure someone suggested that he did raise it. Maybe @emjaycee?
I respect your opinion. I dont necessarily agree though.
Cheers.

emjaycee

Coach
My mail has been always that rather than do a "Barrett" and throw his toys out of the cot when the club hasn't always given him what he has asked for, BA has just gone on with the job.

In some cases that has meant taking on more than what he could probably handle at times, but the guy lives and breathes Parra so it is not surprising this has been his approach.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

The GM's responsibility is not lessend, unless you're assuming that the GM would also be the coach? Which is what we've had and if you continue with that you're stretching the person's time too much.

strider

Post Whore
My mail has been always that rather than do a "Barrett" and throw his toys out of the cot when the club hasn't always given him what he has asked for, BA has just gone on with the job.

In some cases that has meant taking on more than what he could probably handle at times, but the guy lives and breathes Parra so it is not surprising this has been his approach.
He is clearly a no excuses type of guy

f**k that - nothing wrong with a good whinge every now and then ffs

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Thanks for confirming mate.

Enjoy Melbourne tonight. Hopefully Cam Smith ruptures a gonad and we get a win.