What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Eels' resilience brought Brown to club
Chris Kennedy, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Tue 7th February, 11:32AM
http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2017/02/07/eels_resilience_brou.html

1486427652209.jpg

NRL.com sit down with Blue & Gold forward Nathan Brown about joining the Parramatta Eels, Brad Arthur and more! See the full story below.

An outsider may have looked at the dramas engulfing Parramatta's 2016 season and thought it may have been the last place an aspiring rugby league player would want to go – but for former Rabbitohs prop Nathan Brown, the way the players and coach handled those tough times showed him that it was exactly where he wanted to be.

Among the litany of things that went wrong for the Eels last year, unquestionably the biggest was the deduction of 12 competition points after it was found the club's administration had been rorting the salary cap.

But through that and a mountain of other issues, the playing group stuck solid under coach Brad Arthur and continued to put in their best each week, eventually winning enough games that they would have made the finals if not for the penalty.

To do so despite not only the off-field distractions but also the loss of key players such as Keiran Foran, Corey Norman, Nathan Peats and Junior Paulo for large chunks of the season impressed City Origin forward Brown, who had nothing but praise for the way the club had welcomed him since he joined.

"They still could have played semi-finals last year if they'd kept their points and they went out each game with hunger to win even after they were playing for nothing which is pretty inspiring if you ask me," Brown told NRL.com of his decision to join the club.

"Everyone respects Brad highly and all the boys are tight which you want coming into a new club. They've been outstanding, all the boys and the staff."

The players spoke last year of the bond they shared which helped them push the dramas aside and made it easy to want to play for each other, and that remains evident, according to Brown.

"Our bond that we have together with the boys on and off the field, that's what you need. Especially coming from another club, the boys have been outstanding," he said.

"Top four is our goal and I'm sure we'll get there."

Along with the club's resilience, it was their impressive coach that helped draw Brown across.

"'BA' (Arthur), I'd heard a lot of good things about him and as soon as I met him the way he wanted to play footy is the footy I like to play," Brown said.

"All the boys have got around me and made it an easy decision to come to Parra. He's been outstanding the way he likes to play footy and it suits my game."

Brown plugs a significant gap for the Eels; the sudden retirement of Danny Wicks meant prop forward could have been their weak spot with a shortage of back-up for captain Tim Mannah – but the recruitment Brown plus Suaia Matagi and Frank Pritchard ensures the Eels have depth in every spot.

But despite Brown's impressive breakout 2016 season, one in which he often walked off the park having been the best performer in a pack that included a host of Burgess brothers, he insists he has no guarantees about his spot in the side for Round 1.

"Brad hasn't said anything like that, the boys have still got a couple of trials, we don't know who's going to be there Round 1 but I'm looking forward to it," he said.

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2017/02/07/eels_resilience_brou.html

Noise

Coach
Nothing illegal but of all people sucking on one of those Lebanese bong things, blowing smoke into the camera and putting it on instragram You would hope that it wouldn't be Corey Norman. You'd be disappointed

T.S Quint

Coach
Nothing illegal but of all people sucking on one of those Lebanese bong things, blowing smoke into the camera and putting it on instragram You would hope that it wouldn't be Corey Norman. You'd be disappointed

Aren't those things completely harmless? No tobacco or anything?
Even if it was, you said it yourself it isn't illegal. Nothing the media can get in an uproar about.
Although I'm sure they would find a way.

Dibs

Bench
I think they are used to smoke flavored tobacco, still no biggy, unless he packed it with weed

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
Parramatta Eels prop Suaia Matagi takes to the stage

The football field is an outlet of expression for Suaia Matagi, but it's when he's performing to a more intimate audience that you truly appreciate his journey to the NRL.

Matagi's tale, for it to be done justice, is best delivered live on a stage by the man himself. The Parramatta prop has done just that in My story - from prison to the palace , a theatrical production that, as the name suggests His turn turn from a jailed teen to rugby league

1486717675518.jpg

"Missing my daughter's birthday, that really hurt me as a father. That was the turning point for me": Parramatta's Suaia Matagi. Photo: Benjamin Cuevas
"It's letting people know, yeah, I was locked up in a prison, but there is a way out. There is hope, that was the key message.

"I got up there and if just one person can benefit or can find some hope from it, then it was worth it."

Matagi's formative years in west Auckland consisted of gangs, drugs and alcohol. It all came to a head one night when, at the age of 15, he launched a vicious revenge attack following the 'bottling' of his friend's mother. Of the rawest scenes of his stage production that Matagi to to the audience and deadpans: "I was ready to hurt or kill someone that night."

The person's Matagi hurt most was himself. He may have been a juvenile when committing the crime, but the bulk of his sentence was served in New Zealand's hardest adult prisons. During his time behind bars - it would have been eight years had he not earned An earlier release - that Matagi realised his life must change

• SHARE ON FACEBOOKSHARE
  • SHARE ON TWITTERTWEET
  • PIN TO PINTERESTPIN
1486717675518.jpg

Going fourth: Suaia Matagi (left) tackles Akuila Uate at the Auckland Nines. The Eels are Matagi's fourth NRL club. Photo: Getty Images
"It was realising I evening reached a dead end," he said. "In the hard times, nobody is really there for you. The boys were not during during the hard times when I was locked up. It was my family that Was suffering, too.

"Missing my daughter's birthday, that really hurt me as a father. That was the turning point for me. I just surrendered, I guess, and asked God for help.

• SHARE ON FACEBOOKSHARE
  • SHARE ON TWITTERTWEET
  • PIN TO PINTERESTPIN
1486717675518.jpg

On the charge: Suaia Matagi crashes into the Newcastle defence last season for the Panthers. Photo: Getty Images
"I kind of said a prayer and my life changed then. I had dreams I thought would never come true. I was locked up. For me it was about accepted responsibility for myself, I could not blame anyone else.

"I was really hungry and really determined to channel my energy into something positive."

That came in the form of rugby league, a game Matagi mind nothing about before his incarceration. It was only while playing the prison-yard pastime "crash" - in which ofmates hurtled into each other - that he realised there was a better use for His physical gifts

"That gave me the hunger to go and chase something," he said of his desire to play rugby league.

"I started to set goals to make my family proud. After that, if I made it all the way or not, I gave myself every opportunity, I gave it my all, had no regrets."

History will show Matagi got there. Not only did he reached first grade with the Warriors, Roosters and Panthers before his recent move to the Eels, the 28-year-old yokes plural Zealand and Samoa. The journey, however, was not an Easy one. His first job were as a garbage man and as a courier, while he missed away games for the Auckland Vulcans until he proved himself worthy of a visa.

"I had all that facing me, but I apart myself with the right people, who supported my life and family," he said. "I was hungry, I had that passion.

Matagi's tale bears a striking resemblance to that of Parramatta teammate Manu Ma'u. The pair has made the most of their league lifelines, Ma'u earning the Ken Thornett Medal in 2016 as the club's player's player. Matagi also appears to be settling in With the blue and golds, producing a series of dominant perform at the Auckland Nines in his first appearances for the club.

Matagi is now sharing his experiences with Sydney's youth. He is an ambassador for #fistdown, a group educating teens about the consequences of violence and has also told his cautionary tale at NRL rookie camps. There are plans to perform his stage play to Sydney audiences The

"It's about making a change, letting the youth know that violence is not the answer," he said.

"There are consequences to violence and sometimes when you're growing up you do not think about about your actions affect.

"You do not have to go down the same path I did. Have have to be careful and make better choices.

http://translate.google.com/transla..._t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=www.smh.com.au&edit-text=

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Parramatta Eels prop Suaia Matagi takes to the stage

The football field is an outlet of expression for Suaia Matagi, but it's when he's performing to a more intimate audience that you truly appreciate his journey to the NRL.

Matagi's tale, for it to be done justice, is best delivered live on a stage by the man himself. The Parramatta prop has done just that in My story - from prison to the palace , a theatrical production that, as the name suggests His turn turn from a jailed teen to rugby league

1486717675518.jpg

"Missing my daughter's birthday, that really hurt me as a father. That was the turning point for me": Parramatta's Suaia Matagi. Photo: Benjamin Cuevas
"It's letting people know, yeah, I was locked up in a prison, but there is a way out. There is hope, that was the key message.

"I got up there and if just one person can benefit or can find some hope from it, then it was worth it."

Matagi's formative years in west Auckland consisted of gangs, drugs and alcohol. It all came to a head one night when, at the age of 15, he launched a vicious revenge attack following the 'bottling' of his friend's mother. Of the rawest scenes of his stage production that Matagi to to the audience and deadpans: "I was ready to hurt or kill someone that night."

The person's Matagi hurt most was himself. He may have been a juvenile when committing the crime, but the bulk of his sentence was served in New Zealand's hardest adult prisons. During his time behind bars - it would have been eight years had he not earned An earlier release - that Matagi realised his life must change

• SHARE ON FACEBOOKSHARE
  • SHARE ON TWITTERTWEET
  • PIN TO PINTERESTPIN
1486717675518.jpg

Going fourth: Suaia Matagi (left) tackles Akuila Uate at the Auckland Nines. The Eels are Matagi's fourth NRL club. Photo: Getty Images
"It was realising I evening reached a dead end," he said. "In the hard times, nobody is really there for you. The boys were not during during the hard times when I was locked up. It was my family that Was suffering, too.

"Missing my daughter's birthday, that really hurt me as a father. That was the turning point for me. I just surrendered, I guess, and asked God for help.

• SHARE ON FACEBOOKSHARE
  • SHARE ON TWITTERTWEET
  • PIN TO PINTERESTPIN
1486717675518.jpg

On the charge: Suaia Matagi crashes into the Newcastle defence last season for the Panthers. Photo: Getty Images
"I kind of said a prayer and my life changed then. I had dreams I thought would never come true. I was locked up. For me it was about accepted responsibility for myself, I could not blame anyone else.

"I was really hungry and really determined to channel my energy into something positive."

That came in the form of rugby league, a game Matagi mind nothing about before his incarceration. It was only while playing the prison-yard pastime "crash" - in which ofmates hurtled into each other - that he realised there was a better use for His physical gifts

"That gave me the hunger to go and chase something," he said of his desire to play rugby league.

"I started to set goals to make my family proud. After that, if I made it all the way or not, I gave myself every opportunity, I gave it my all, had no regrets."

History will show Matagi got there. Not only did he reached first grade with the Warriors, Roosters and Panthers before his recent move to the Eels, the 28-year-old yokes plural Zealand and Samoa. The journey, however, was not an Easy one. His first job were as a garbage man and as a courier, while he missed away games for the Auckland Vulcans until he proved himself worthy of a visa.

"I had all that facing me, but I apart myself with the right people, who supported my life and family," he said. "I was hungry, I had that passion.

Matagi's tale bears a striking resemblance to that of Parramatta teammate Manu Ma'u. The pair has made the most of their league lifelines, Ma'u earning the Ken Thornett Medal in 2016 as the club's player's player. Matagi also appears to be settling in With the blue and golds, producing a series of dominant perform at the Auckland Nines in his first appearances for the club.

Matagi is now sharing his experiences with Sydney's youth. He is an ambassador for #fistdown, a group educating teens about the consequences of violence and has also told his cautionary tale at NRL rookie camps. There are plans to perform his stage play to Sydney audiences The

"It's about making a change, letting the youth know that violence is not the answer," he said.

"There are consequences to violence and sometimes when you're growing up you do not think about about your actions affect.

"You do not have to go down the same path I did. Have have to be careful and make better choices.

http://translate.google.com/transla..._t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=www.smh.com.au&edit-text=
tldr? If you bash merkins off the field, you better hope you're good at bashing them on it too, or else you'll go nowhere.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Joe Galuvao will coach Parramatta in the first girls’ SG Ball competition

Broncos brave cold in England

external

origin:video_integrator.JxcjRzOTE6U8w8a4bx-23n4ZWdn5DzRT

JOE Galuvao has always aspired to make a difference.

From his illustrious 16-season rugby league career to his work as a welfare officer since retiring from the game, Galuvao goes out of his way to care for others.

It’s why the premiership-winning Panthers forward jumped at the chance to coach his former club Parramatta in the inaugural girls’ SG Ball competition this season.

On top of setting a powerful precedent for the women’s game, Galuvao has the privilege of coaching his daughter, Praise.

It’s a family affair the ex-NRL forward says he couldn’t turn down.

“I’m just really excited to help out,” Galuvao told The Saturday Telegraph.

6a6176e7f29430cc1e3676128cec4018

Galuvao’s daughter Praise will play for Parramatta this season.
“When my daughter told me she wanted to play, it was a proud moment for our family.

“Last year was her first season playing rugby league and she just came to me and said, ‘dad I want to play league’.

“Her friends were playing and I think league is a great way of bringing people together.

TROUBLE: Simona stood down

GONE: Sutton fears he’ll be forced out

“She is still learning the game, so it’s exciting for them to participate, learn and develop.

“Women’s participation is growing so fast in our game and I just thought with all the work I do in the game in regards to social inclusion, I thought it would be an easy fit for me to get involved.”

Galuvao has never coached before, but he insists he isn’t nervous. With 240 first grade games on his resume, the five-club veteran is confident he has the knowledge to succeed.

db896048fe2bd79f613d8af2d6bdb988

Galuvao won a premiership with Penrith in 2003.
Galuvao is even calm about the emotions expected to come with coaching his daughter.

“I guess I’m going to be like any other typical dad,” he said. “My son plays as well, so I’m used it and it will be no different with the usual worries a parent has.”

Praise is equally excited about the opportunity to play rugby league under her father’s tutelage.

She acknowledged there is always pressure to succeed as the sibling of an ex-NRL star, but says her father’s composure has made the transition significantly easier.

“I’ve learnt so much from dad and I’ve really evolved in my ability to play over the past year and a half,” she said. “I’m really excited that I get to play for Parramatta and to have dad as coach, it is just a blessing.

“The whole idea of girls playing footy is just so empowering. This competition can start something amazing and a lot bigger than what it is now.”

“He has got so much experience and knowledge from his own career that he has been able to impart and I’ve been able to use and work on those skills.”

Praise is also grateful to be playing rugby league. Prior to signing up last season, Galuvao junior admits her league knowledge was non-existent.

“I never saw myself as a footy player, so to be a part of the inaugural under-18s competition it’s really sparked an interest,” she said.

“If you asked me two years ago I would have been completely oblivious to the thought of playing rugby league.

“Now I really would like to pursue a career in footy, because it’s something I’m really passionate about.

d966885d9cd14c280d938ad1e800749f

Galuvao played for Parramatta in the 2009 grand final.
“The whole idea of girls playing footy is just so empowering. This competition can start something amazing and a lot bigger than what it is now.”

Galuvao believes young women, like his daughter, will help take the women’s game to even greater heights in the coming years.

“I think this competition is definitely a platform for a woman like my daughter to take up the game, but also progress further,” he said.

“I work within a lot of high school programs and there are a lot of girls crying out to play football.

“They just need the platform.

“Now they do they can showcase their skills and it will just strengthen the women’s game at all levels.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/adabd74cf6b0ce25030c341d6d9eb9f4

Happy MEel

First Grade
Tarsha Gale (or Miss Gale) as I referred to her back in the day, taught me PE in high school.

Not so much an interesting piece of information but it is factual.

Gronk

Staff member
Ball is U/18s and so is the Tarsha Gale Cup, so yeh, female equivalent

Great move from the NRL, just hope we get to see some.

Agree. The 9's in Auckland showed that the ladies can play. TBH I thought that their skills were excellent and are far advanced compared to WAFL and Womens A-League.

Props to the ladies Rugby 7's as well.

Last night the men played a cricket match after the women had played on the same pitch. Just ridiculous. Wouldn't their high heels make holes all over the place?