What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Gronk

Staff member
EELS LEGEND EARNS TOP HONOUR

Parramatta Eels legend Mick Cronin OAM has been awarded Life Membership to the New South Wales Rugby League at today’s Annual General Meeting at Sydney Olympic Park.

Cronin has provided an extended period of outstanding service to rugby league, most notably as a stalwart centre for Parramatta between 1977-86, representing NSW and Australia.

“If there was ever a deserving person who has devoted so much of his life and energy to the game of Rugby League, Mick Cronin is that person,” said Geoff Gerard, NSWRL director and a former Eels teammate.

“As a player Michael had unbelievable awareness. He was wise, strong and he was the ultimate professional, as well as a great person.”

Cronin’s involvement within Rugby League extends beyond his playing career at Parramatta.

He coached the club between 1990-93 before moving back to his home town of Gerringong where he coached the Gerringong Lions Juniors (1994-2008) and First Grade side (2009-16).

In 2007 Cronin was inducted into the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame before he was selected as one of the 100 greatest Rugby League players of all time in 2008.

Mick Cronin OAM’s achievements:

· 216 First Grade appearances with Parramatta (1977-86)

· Four premierships with Parramatta (1981, 82, 83, 86)

· Six State of Origin appearances for NSW

· 33 Tests and World Cup appearances for Australia

· Rothmans Medal winner (1977 and 1978)

· Inductee to the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame (2007)

· Selected as one of the 100 greatest ever Rugby League players (2008)

http://www.insidesport.com.au/league/news/eels-legend-earns-top-honour-453964

Gronk

Staff member
Matagi the Eels' new strike weapon

Wed 08 Mar, 2017, 4:50pm
By Alicia Newton‌‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Parramatta Eels centre Brad Takairangi believes new recruit Suaia Matagi is the added strike power the side lacked following the exit of Junior Paulo to the Raiders midway through last season.

b9696f847883adac9c0ed966c01a1e8a

The arrival of Matagi, hard-running forward Nathan Brown and veteran back-rower Frank Pritchard has added some much needed size to the Eels forward pack, who ran through the Sea Eagles in their eight-point win at Lottoland on the weekend.

Matagi (158 metres) and skipper Tim Mannah (173 metres) led the way for the visitors up front, with Brown (156) and interchange forward Daniel Alvaro (138) providing yardage off the bench.

Second-rower turned centre Takairangi had a prime view of the collision between Matagi and Sea Eagles forward Martin Taupau on the weekend, and said he was not surprised the former Panther bounced back up to his feet at an instance.

"It was big… he (Matagi) doesn't feel it, he just kept running no matter who was in front of him he runs at 100 per cent," Takairangi said after training on Wednesday.

"That's him for you, I think he's run at bigger people in his lifetime, it doesn't matter who's standing in front of him, he's ready to go.

"Someone like Tungs (Matagi) brings so much aggression and it's awesome to play of the back of that.

"The energy and hit-ups he's brought to our team is the punch that I reckon we semi-lacked last year losing Junior [Paulo]."

The man himself played down the incident, which will see Taupau now serve a two-week suspension after the match review committee deemed the tackle a grade one shoulder charge.

"I'm not too sure [if it was a shoulder charge] but I just had to carry on and do my job, get back up and play the ball," Matagi said.

"That's part of the job, you've got to run hard and take your medicine if you get hit, so it was pretty good.

"I saw him (Taupau) coming because you see his big shoulders a mile away but it was good and that's part of rugby league.

"I've got to do a job the best way I can to inspire the boys and if I can help the team in any way I'll do it."

With the addition of Kangaroos forward James Tamou at the foot of the mountains, 28-year-old Matagi was left with no choice but to find another club after managing 23 appearances for the Panthers in 2016.

"The opportunity the Eels presented [was just too good] so one door closes and another one opens and I'm just thankful to them for giving me the opportunity," he said.

"It was something I worked hard on to get the opportunity [to start in the front row] and I was really thankful the coaching staff had faith in me and I just wanted to pay them back and perform."

It will be another challenge up front for the Eels, who take on a St George Illawarra outfit full of confidence after piling on 42 points against a lacklustre Panthers side in Round 1.

Takairangi said coach Brad Arthur wanted the players to back up their win against the Sea Eagles with another solid showing down in Wollongong on Sunday – their second of three away trips to start the season.

"He's been pretty big on consistency in the pre-season and taking it into our games now," Takairangi said.

"They (Dragons) come off a good win and know it's their home game; they'll be hungry again.

"We've got a lot of new combinations with a couple of new boys in the squad and I thought they added to what we have already.

"It doesn't mean anything if we can't back it up against the Dragons."

https://www.nrl.com/matagi-the-eels-new-strike-weapon/tabid/10874/newsid/104408/default.aspx

Gronk

Staff member
Corey Norman on Parramatta’s ambitions for the season and learning from his mistakes
EXCLUSIVE, The Daily Telegraph
March 8, 2017 6:46pm
Subscriber only
THE time for excuses is over. For Parramatta, and for Corey Norman.

The halfback has emerged from the darkness of last season ready to pinch a Queensland State of Origin jumper and lead the Eels back the NRL finals.

On Wednesday a rejuvenated Norman outlined how he will resurrect his reputation after a disastrous 2016 when he was suspended for eight games and fined $20,000 for drug possession, consorting with known criminals and being involved in — and distributing — a sex tape.

And after carving up Manly at Lottoland last Sunday, Norman, 26, is poised to rock rugby league.

1f3f1aefca04f66bde18b4e11243836f

“I have learnt from my mistakes,” Norman told The Daily Telegraph.

“I just want to stay on the field, play my best football and see Parramatta playing in the back-end of the year, where we should be playing. That would be awesome. Definitely. Parra playing in the finals, awesome.

“Amongst all our boys, ‘what if’ just isn’t good enough anymore. We need to be playing in the finals.

“(Last year) I definitely let the boys down, my team and coaching staff. No doubt getting to the finals would be a big plus. We need to start playing toward the back-end of the year. If all things go well, hopefully we will be there.

“We definitely have the squad to do it. Last year (missing the finals through salary cap rorting) was a bit disappointing but that’s the way it went.

“Every week, the boys still turned up and played for the club, coaching staff and for ourselves. We didn’t throw-in the towel. We have now started building nicely and last Sunday, you could tell we still have that resilience there.”

38cb05f2e4fd3c762b29007b1d44df52

Corey Norman wants to put the past behind him and focus on the footy. Photo: Jonathan Ng
Norman looks back on last season with enormous regret.

“Last year, I made a few mistakes. A few wrong decisions but I wouldn’t say my head space was in the wrong place. I just made a few mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, it’s how you learn from it. I have learnt my mistakes and I’m moving forward,” Norman said.

“You know, I made those mistakes and I didn’t want to depend on too many other people too much. I wanted to sort it out myself. But I definitely had a strong support base at the club, the boys and obviously my family.

“When I was going through all that, I didn’t really read the papers or watch the news. If you tend to read-up or watch the TV, it can get to you. I stuck positive. It’s how you bounce back and learn from it.”

And bounce back Norman has.

a3410ed21dbc1c6fa990c270955bdd53

It could be a big season for Parra if Norman hits top form. Photo: Gregg Porteous
Queensland coach Kevin Walters will consider Norman for a bench utility spot along with Manly’s Daly Cherry-Evans and North Queensland’s Michael Morgan.

“Origin is the pinnacle of our game and to play for Queensland would be unreal,’’ Norman said. “If the opportunity comes up, it comes up. But my job is to win games for Parramatta and play good footy. That’s my focus. I want to let my football do the talking.”

Norman was hunting a Dally M Medal last season before being suspended. It has given him more motivation.

“Yeah mate, that (a Dally M Medal) would be good,” Norman said. “But I’m not focused too much on that. If I prepare right and play good football every week, that will sort itself out. When your team is going well, that makes it a lot easier. I want to get my job right for the Eels, steer the boys around and win games for the Eels.”
Norman’s kicking game was sublime against Manly, particularly given he hadn’t played an NRL game since round 18 last year.

“I have a good, solid pre-season under my belt. But since round 18, I haven’t had that game fitness. I didn’t trial at all. The Nines doesn’t really count because you’re not out there long enough,” he said.

“No matter how hard training is, nothing can compare to game fitness. It will take a couple of games.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/4c43391a63797158c0f622582d821016

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Its Mannah. He dropped 4 kg in the offseason just by trimming his eyebrows.

He is in for a big year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
EELS LEGEND EARNS TOP HONOUR

Parramatta Eels legend Mick Cronin OAM has been awarded Life Membership to the New South Wales Rugby League at today’s Annual General Meeting at Sydney Olympic Park.

Cronin has provided an extended period of outstanding service to rugby league, most notably as a stalwart centre for Parramatta between 1977-86, representing NSW and Australia.

“If there was ever a deserving person who has devoted so much of his life and energy to the game of Rugby League, Mick Cronin is that person,” said Geoff Gerard, NSWRL director and a former Eels teammate.

“As a player Michael had unbelievable awareness. He was wise, strong and he was the ultimate professional, as well as a great person.”

Cronin’s involvement within Rugby League extends beyond his playing career at Parramatta.

He coached the club between 1990-93 before moving back to his home town of Gerringong where he coached the Gerringong Lions Juniors (1994-2008) and First Grade side (2009-16).

In 2007 Cronin was inducted into the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame before he was selected as one of the 100 greatest Rugby League players of all time in 2008.

Mick Cronin OAM’s achievements:

· 216 First Grade appearances with Parramatta (1977-86)

· Four premierships with Parramatta (1981, 82, 83, 86)

· Six State of Origin appearances for NSW

· 33 Tests and World Cup appearances for Australia

· Rothmans Medal winner (1977 and 1978)

· Inductee to the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame (2007)

· Selected as one of the 100 greatest ever Rugby League players (2008)

http://www.insidesport.com.au/league/news/eels-legend-earns-top-honour-453964
So what does Cronin actually get? Does this mean he doesn't have to pay his annual fees any more?

Gronk

Staff member
So on one hand we have McManus suing Newie for breach of duty of care, then on the other hand we have the NRL criticizing us for using the head bin the most. Go figure.

Furious Parramatta coach Brad Arthur defends his club over concussion rule claims

Andrew Webster

Parramatta are expected to come under intense scrutiny over their use of concussion-related interchanges with damning data revealing they use the head bin more than any other club at certain times of the game.

NRL head of football Brian Canavan warned coaches at a meeting just before Christmas last year they would come down heavily on clubs exploiting the concussion laws to gain a free interchange.

The NRL memo read in part: "Round one saw nine HIAs (Head Injury Assessment). Whilst it was clear that the majority of these were handled appropriately, we are continuing to monitor the intended application of the free interchange process. It was agreed that this is a game-integrity issue and thus you are asked to be compliant with the required procedures."

Under the rules, a player who leaves the field for a SCAT test is not counted as one of the team's eight allowable interchanges for the match. The same applies if the player returns to the field.

The issue of concussion is such a hot topic at the moment with former Knights winger James McManus suing his club for brain damage suffered during his career.

Yet the game's dirty little secret is that some clubs flaunt the rules by bringing players off and then back on when they don't need to.

When Eels captain Tim Mannah left the field in the 22nd minute against Manly last Sunday for a SCAT test after receiving a poke in the eye in what looked to be an innocuous tackle, it certainly raised concerns among rival coaches.

Mannah returned to the field later in the half and played another 30 minutes for the match.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur was furious when contacted on Thursday about the suggestion his side had manipulated the concussion rules.

"Tim did not take a dive," Arthur said. "He did not want to come off and that is in our report to the NRL. The trainer went out and saw him on the field and he said he had blurred vision and headaches. They went to the sideline and our chief medical officer looked at the vision and said, 'No, you need to tell Tim to come from the field'. I didn't know it was a head assessment. I didn't even know that it was a free interchange until Tim was ready to come back on."

The Mannah incident aside, an independent analysis of concussion-related interchanges from the 2016 regular season highlights some interesting trends.

Of the 359 concussion-related interchanges last year, Parramatta had the most with 46. The Titans were next with 39, followed by Souths (29) and the Warriors (28).

It's generally accepted that coaches make their first interchanges between the 15 to 25-minute marks when forwards are getting tired and need to be rotated with the bench.

Last season, there were 43 concussion-related interchanges in that period across all clubs. The Eels accounted for 10 of those. The Titans and Tigers had seven each.

Perhaps the most telling figure, though, relates to who the Eels are replacing.

They were one of only four clubs last year that didn't refer one outside back to the sidelines for a SCAT test. The closest who came to it was utility Kenny Edwards.

But the other three – Melbourne (23), Canberra (21) and Manly (10) – had far fewer concussion-related interchanges than Parramatta.

In one match against Souths last season, the Eels made as many as 16 interchanges in total. Against the Wests Tigers, they made 15.

Understandably, Arthur came out swinging in defence of his club and also argued that the club had become more vigilant than others when it comes to concussions.

In early 2015, the club was fined $20,000 for three separate incidents in which Nathan Peats, Isaac Des Gois and Will Hopoate were allowed to stay on the field despite head knocks.

"It annoys me that people insinuate we are flaunting the rules," Arthur said. "We've got a duty care to look after our players. In 2015, Peats and De Gois, we let them return to the field of play and we got smashed for that — and probably within reason, too. We were fined.

"I've got a thousand things going through my mind during a game. I don't want my best players coming from the field. Why would I have them coming from the field? We ask our players to play tough and physical and to put their head where other players mightn't. We get bumped around a bit. But if someone radios up to me that a player needs to come off, I am not going to say he needs to stay out there with a concussion and put myself and the club under any more pressure."

Asked if he believed rival coaches exploit the concussion rules, he said: "I'm not one of those coaches who forms opinions on other teams and what they do. I worry about my own club."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...r-concussion-rule-claims-20170309-guubx3.html

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So on one hand we have McManus suing Newie for breach of duty of care, then on the other hand we have the NRL criticizing us for using the head bin the most. Go figure.

Furious Parramatta coach Brad Arthur defends his club over concussion rule claims

Andrew Webster

Parramatta are expected to come under intense scrutiny over their use of concussion-related interchanges with damning data revealing they use the head bin more than any other club at certain times of the game.

NRL head of football Brian Canavan warned coaches at a meeting just before Christmas last year they would come down heavily on clubs exploiting the concussion laws to gain a free interchange.

The NRL memo read in part: "Round one saw nine HIAs (Head Injury Assessment). Whilst it was clear that the majority of these were handled appropriately, we are continuing to monitor the intended application of the free interchange process. It was agreed that this is a game-integrity issue and thus you are asked to be compliant with the required procedures."

Under the rules, a player who leaves the field for a SCAT test is not counted as one of the team's eight allowable interchanges for the match. The same applies if the player returns to the field.

The issue of concussion is such a hot topic at the moment with former Knights winger James McManus suing his club for brain damage suffered during his career.

Yet the game's dirty little secret is that some clubs flaunt the rules by bringing players off and then back on when they don't need to.

When Eels captain Tim Mannah left the field in the 22nd minute against Manly last Sunday for a SCAT test after receiving a poke in the eye in what looked to be an innocuous tackle, it certainly raised concerns among rival coaches.

Mannah returned to the field later in the half and played another 30 minutes for the match.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur was furious when contacted on Thursday about the suggestion his side had manipulated the concussion rules.

"Tim did not take a dive," Arthur said. "He did not want to come off and that is in our report to the NRL. The trainer went out and saw him on the field and he said he had blurred vision and headaches. They went to the sideline and our chief medical officer looked at the vision and said, 'No, you need to tell Tim to come from the field'. I didn't know it was a head assessment. I didn't even know that it was a free interchange until Tim was ready to come back on."

The Mannah incident aside, an independent analysis of concussion-related interchanges from the 2016 regular season highlights some interesting trends.

Of the 359 concussion-related interchanges last year, Parramatta had the most with 46. The Titans were next with 39, followed by Souths (29) and the Warriors (28).

It's generally accepted that coaches make their first interchanges between the 15 to 25-minute marks when forwards are getting tired and need to be rotated with the bench.

Last season, there were 43 concussion-related interchanges in that period across all clubs. The Eels accounted for 10 of those. The Titans and Tigers had seven each.

Perhaps the most telling figure, though, relates to who the Eels are replacing.

They were one of only four clubs last year that didn't refer one outside back to the sidelines for a SCAT test. The closest who came to it was utility Kenny Edwards.

But the other three – Melbourne (23), Canberra (21) and Manly (10) – had far fewer concussion-related interchanges than Parramatta.

In one match against Souths last season, the Eels made as many as 16 interchanges in total. Against the Wests Tigers, they made 15.

Understandably, Arthur came out swinging in defence of his club and also argued that the club had become more vigilant than others when it comes to concussions.

In early 2015, the club was fined $20,000 for three separate incidents in which Nathan Peats, Isaac Des Gois and Will Hopoate were allowed to stay on the field despite head knocks.

"It annoys me that people insinuate we are flaunting the rules," Arthur said. "We've got a duty care to look after our players. In 2015, Peats and De Gois, we let them return to the field of play and we got smashed for that — and probably within reason, too. We were fined.

"I've got a thousand things going through my mind during a game. I don't want my best players coming from the field. Why would I have them coming from the field? We ask our players to play tough and physical and to put their head where other players mightn't. We get bumped around a bit. But if someone radios up to me that a player needs to come off, I am not going to say he needs to stay out there with a concussion and put myself and the club under any more pressure."

Asked if he believed rival coaches exploit the concussion rules, he said: "I'm not one of those coaches who forms opinions on other teams and what they do. I worry about my own club."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...r-concussion-rule-claims-20170309-guubx3.html

Surely you accept that it is something that can be overused as means to keep fresher players on the field?

On the face of it there could be a case to suggest we are milking it. I don't see the issue, Gronk.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Surely you accept that it is something that can be overused? Further, do you accept that if it was it would help a team keep fresher players on the field?

On the face of it there could be a case to suggest we are milking it. I don't see the issue, Gronk.

The suggestion that our club doctor is dishonest with his/her medical assessments is a bit rich. Over cautious I will buy. Haul the Drs in and make sure they are all on the same page.

However to simply say that the Eels are using it the most - therefore we must be abusing it - is an unfair position to take.

If they want to appoint independent Drs at each match, then so be it. In the meantime the NRL should STFU.

Latest posts