What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Ryles

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Cheika

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

Incorrect

Coach
I have a feeling it will be either Holbrook or Hannay.... You'd like to think both know how to implement a defensive plan given they are assistant's at the 2 best defensive teams in the comp.... exactly what we need to be focusing on

eels81236

Bench
Sho
I have a feeling it will be either Holbrook or Hannay.... You'd like to think both know how to implement a defensive plan given they are assistant's at the 2 best defensive teams in the comp.... exactly what we need to be focusing on
Short term. With the squad we have. turn the squad over and then what?

eels81236

Bench
Should we be concentrating on a defensive minded coach? Or an attacking minded coach for that matter with our current roster?

My thoughts are that a new coach is going to turn the roster over. Our contract situation will make that restrictive short term. But, we need a coach now who is willing to start from scratch. Eat shit for a while but a defensive minded coach or an attacking minded coach ain’t winning with what we have now.
Short term thinking may fix our defence. Long term thinking may get us deep into the finals….eventually.

Apologies. This was meant to be a reply to @Incorrect.

emjaycee

Coach
Should we be concentrating on a defensive minded coach? Or an attacking minded coach for that matter with our current roster?

My thoughts are that a new coach is going to turn the roster over. Our contract situation will make that restrictive short term. But, we need a coach now who is willing to start from scratch. Eat shit for a while but a defensive minded coach or an attacking minded coach ain’t winning with what we have now.
Short term thinking may fix our defence. Long term thinking may get us deep into the finals….eventually.

Apologies. This was meant to be a reply to @Incorrect.
Our defence is more of a problem than our attack at the moment.
Even though we rely seem to rely on individual brillance/luck to score tries, we saw on the weekend the Talagi try (obviously trained for) and the Simmonson try (we know they trained for that because there was an Insta or X post with Bailey practising the putdown), both of which didnt require individual brilliance.

eels81236

Bench
I agree with everything you have said but my point is emphasised when you said “at the moment”. But… The club has made the decision to move on from that coach so it is somewhat irrelevant.

A new coach will change all that. Defensive structures will need to change. Attacking structures need to change.

I think choosing a coach that suits our current roster/playing style/mindset is a short term solution. We are not a club entering our window. We are quickly slipping out of it.
The roster needs to be turned on its head. It’s been a decade of the same thought process. It worked for a period of time. For whatever reason it’s not working now.

IMO we don’t need a short term fix to cover cracks. What we have simply isn’t good enough.

I’ve been here long enough and been lurking long enough to respect your opinions and your connections within the club. You know more than I do but I will respectfully disagree with you here.

its rebuild time. The coach needs to write his own script. Burn the grandstand down.

I need to learn how to quote again. Apologies. The was meant as a reply to @emjaycee

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
When I think about it I can't see the club going for a rookie. It will be someone with NRL or Super League first grade experience.