What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End of season report card

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't mind the path this thread has taken - we as hard-core fans have been to GFs, won minor premiership etc, the only thing that will truly satisfy us is a title. Yes this year was fun, and I don't think any of us have forgotten what it's like to suck for so many years. There's been so much to be grateful for.

However, 2024 is by no means a given success. Our draw was plum this year (apart from the Storm/Roosters/Panthers home but not home run from round 8) and whilst we had injury issues, nothing major and ended up with a full bill of health in the finals when you want them most.

I crave to be wrong but I don't see where the improvement comes from next year. I don't think it'd be second year syndrome (whatever that means) but we're very prone to injuries from the likes of SJ, AFB, Egan and Harris. We just don't have NRL-level backups to those guys. And who's going to improve? SJ is 33. AFB is carrying a propping rotation on his shoulders. Egan scares me with his tackling technique and his head, and Harris is 31 but has a lot of miles on the clock too...reminds me of King Mannering who retired at 32. Yes, we get RTS which is great. But I'm just not sure how we improve with what we have.

Izz

Bench
I crave to be wrong but I don't see where the improvement comes from next year. I don't think it'd be second year syndrome (whatever that means) but we're very prone to injuries from the likes of SJ, AFB, Egan and Harris. We just don't have NRL-level backups to those guys. And who's going to improve? SJ is 33. AFB is carrying a propping rotation on his shoulders. Egan scares me with his tackling technique and his head, and Harris is 31 but has a lot of miles on the clock too...reminds me of King Mannering who retired at 32. Yes, we get RTS which is great. But I'm just not sure how we improve with what we have.
I feel like CHT can become a decent utility/backup to Egan (fulltime hooker might even be in his future). Volkman did a great job of leading the reggies team around and I'm confident he could do the job in first grade as well, but would need a few weeks in a row of being the 7, not just filling in a game here or there when required. Sifakula did okay in his few games this year, and will only improve (he's still 19/20), while Ali Leiataua looks like he'll be a gun. Decent fight in the centres next season between him, RTS, and Berry. Metcalf will be better for this season, while I think Maiu'u will be a factor at prop next year. Maybe still a decent big man short, but I think we can get better (though that Warriors' fan part of the brain still says, 'yeah, yeah, whatever').

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I don't mind the path this thread has taken - we as hard-core fans have been to GFs, won minor premiership etc, the only thing that will truly satisfy us is a title. Yes this year was fun, and I don't think any of us have forgotten what it's like to suck for so many years. There's been so much to be grateful for.

However, 2024 is by no means a given success. Our draw was plum this year (apart from the Storm/Roosters/Panthers home but not home run from round 8) and whilst we had injury issues, nothing major and ended up with a full bill of health in the finals when you want them most.

Yeah you’re right, it is pretty cut throat, and you have Souths/Cowboys/Parra/Manly/Titans all sitting there saying we are going to be getting better and having various reasons why they all thing they are making the 8 next year as well

Meth

Staff member
Team overall: A

Andrew Webster: A

Bunty Afoa C+

Tom Ale C+

Mitch Barnett B+

Rocco Berry B+

Josh Curran B

Wade Egan A

Addin Fonua-Blake A+

Jackson Ford C+

Tohu Harris A+

Shaun Johnson A+

Freddy Lussick C+

Te Maire Martin C+

Luke Metcalf B+

Marcelo Montoya C

Charnze Nicholl-Klokstadt A+

Marata Niukore B+

Adam Pompey C+

Bailey Sironen C

Jazz Tevaga C

Taine Tuapiki B

Viliame Vailea D

Ronald Volkman C+

Dylan Walker A

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak B+

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Team overall: A

Andrew Webster: A

Bunty Afoa C+

Tom Ale C+

Mitch Barnett B+

Rocco Berry B+

Josh Curran B

Wade Egan A

Addin Fonua-Blake A+

Jackson Ford C+

Tohu Harris A+

Shaun Johnson A+

Freddy Lussick C+

Te Maire Martin C+

Luke Metcalf B+

Marcelo Montoya C

Charnze Nicholl-Klokstadt A+

Marata Niukore B+

Adam Pompey C+

Bailey Sironen C

Jazz Tevaga C

Taine Tuapiki B

Viliame Vailea D

Ronald Volkman C+

Dylan Walker A

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak B+
I agree with a lot of these, which were a lot less rose-tinted than the ones in the Herald the other day. I think your one on DWZ is spot on - a lot of fans would give him an A+, and the Herald gave him 8.5/10. I'd give him B+ or 7/10 too. Too vulnerable on D to be higher, even if his finishing is insane.

Pompey might be a bit harsh at C+, I'd go B-, he did shut down some big name centres at times. He should (and hopefully will) be depth next year, and the sort of guy you'd be happy to bring in for injuries. But hell, he played every minute of every game, I think I read? That's pretty impressive.

I'd also have Ford similar, epic game v Knights in the final and did have some big moments...just has too many brain farts.

I'd probably have Niukore B-, I don't think he did enough this year, and got charged at the judiciary FIVE times this year. Five. Missed five rounds and got fines 3 times. That's a liability that I don't see that was made up for in performance. Even B- might be generous.