What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End promotion and relegation

Perth Red

Post Whore
It devalues ticketed memberships, particularly season tickets, and in the long run investing time and resources into building sales numbers of those tickets is better for the clubs and sport as a whole than the short term sugar hit that the Magic Weekend provides.
thats a strange take on it lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The proposals need to be fleshed out more before it'll be clear whether or not they're likely to be a good idea, but as things stand most of them have the potential to result in either really good outcomes or terrible ones, and not a lot of in between

I really don't like the idea of having a hard limit on the number of foreign teams, especially when that limit is two. That would more or less lock Catalans and Toulouse in as the two teams and allow little flexibility should circumstances change in the future. It'd also crush a lot of potential growth in France, which should still be consideration despite the fact that France isn't the RFL's main concern, especially when the RFL could benefit from that growth as well.

I mean lets say that hypothetically a team pops up in e.g. Paris or Dublin for example, not some nonsense bid like the New York one, but teams that have genuine backing and local support with the potential to build into something big. It'd be absolute madness to lock them out of the league structure.

If you're going to go that route then you may as well kick all the non-UK teams out as well, leaving them to find their own way and you to focus exclusively on the UK.
I'd suggest the overseas clubs quota is related to value to UK tv and sponsors. plus appeasing the current clubs to vote for it. The current clubs arent going to vote for something that might see the comp half filled with overseas (Nth American) clubs in the future. Look at the blow back on the EPL clubs who tried to break away to form a Europe mega league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So according to above we will still have P&R next year (watch the mad dash to survive that!) then at end of year clubs will be assessed to show their category. 12 team comp for 2024 will be the eleven survivors of '23 season and promoted team from 2023 championship. End of 2024 clubs will be reassessed and 2025 the new structure will take place with Cat A clubs automatically in and the remaining places taken by the best ranked Cat B clubs. Any cat B club not making the cut will play in championship.

Looks like no immediate plans to expand the league. If they are waiting for non SL clubs to make it to A standard before expanding SL then it will be a very long wait I suspect!

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
I think Europe mainland shouldnt keep trying to join a Britsh Isles comp

The Euro League should be focused on be a 10-12 team mainland comp
- 4 France
- 2 Italy
- 2 Spain
- Red Star Serbia
- Netherlands
- Nordic team
- Greek team
- Turkey team

Build it properly without the UK
etc

Gobsmacked

Bench
Geez I had hoped things would be a bit more positive. I agree with the categorie style of structure but it feels very limited with little regard for future growth, especially for French or other countries hoping to grow.
I think they need to be either a European comp with a forward look to more French clubs, Dublin, Glasgow ect or
A purely exclusive English comp.
It looks more like the later base on that graphic
It's not necessarily a bad thing but this to me means that the best path forward would be :
Catalans and Toulouse to pull their stock and bolster the French league.
It could kick off the year after the world cup 2025 at peak intrest.
They'll have the attention of broadcasters, government grants, sponsorship and fans.

2026 : 6 team professional French league initially, with licences adding aspiring clubs across Europe to eventually be a European comp.

Reactions: siv

Perth Red

Post Whore
Th
Geez I had hoped things would be a bit more positive. I agree with the categorie style of structure but it feels very limited with little regard for future growth, especially for French or other countries hoping to grow.
I think they need to be either a European comp with a forward look to more French clubs, Dublin, Glasgow ect or
A purely exclusive English comp.
It looks more like the later base on that graphic
It's not necessarily a bad thing but this to me means that the best path forward would be :
Catalans and Toulouse to pull their stock and bolster the French league.
It could kick off the year after the world cup 2025 at peak intrest.
They'll have the attention of broadcasters, government grants, sponsorship and fans.

2026 : 6 team professional French league initially, with licences adding aspiring clubs across Europe to eventually be a European comp.
there isn’t the money outside of Superleague for any club to be full time. There isnt the interest in rugby league in France to get a decent French tv deal.
Catalans and Toulouse going back to playing in a part time comp in front of 3k isn’t a great strategy for them id suggest.

siv

First Grade
You have to create a new revenue stream away from England

Now that the stigma of Union overlords is broken via Greece

We need to build from it

If you start with a base and make a TV product across multiple countries like France, Spain, Italy, Serbia, Turkey and Netherlands, you build your revenue stream

Gobsmacked

Bench
Th

there isn’t the money outside of Superleague for any club to be full time. There isnt the interest in rugby league in France to get a decent French tv deal.
Catalans and Toulouse going back to playing in a part time comp in front of 3k isn’t a great strategy for them id suggest.
all of my suggestions are in 4 years time, there's 2 world cups in that time and the last being in France.
I think you're seriously underestimating the growth of the game in France recently and the growth that will be generated by a world cup! In France!

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have to create a new revenue stream away from England

Now that the stigma of Union overlords is broken via Greece

We need to build from it

If you start with a base and make a TV product across multiple countries like France, Spain, Italy, Serbia, Turkey and Netherlands, you build your revenue stream
Sounds good in theory, but back in the real world. French RL is played in mostly small towns away from the countries power and media base. It’s a very distant third behind soccer and union. Tv isn’t going to pay the sort of money you need to fund full time professional clubs sadly. ThInking six European countries tv are going to be interested in a competition of RL is fanciful to say the least.

Perth Red

Post Whore
all of my suggestions are in 4 years time, there's 2 world cups in that time and the last being in France.
I think you're seriously underestimating the growth of the game in France recently and the growth that will be generated by a world cup! In France!
I think you’re seriously underestimating just how small RL is in France. And how far behind the other two sports it is.

Pippen94

First Grade
I think Europe mainland shouldnt keep trying to join a Britsh Isles comp

The Euro League should be focused on be a 10-12 team mainland comp
- 4 France
- 2 Italy
- 2 Spain
- Red Star Serbia
- Netherlands
- Nordic team
- Greek team
- Turkey team

Build it properly without the UK
etc

Sure. Let me fund it

Pippen94

First Grade
North of england gotta realize collectively m2 & French heartland are stronger together..but will only happen when they find out how to make money from big markets like Toulouse.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I think you’re seriously underestimating just how small RL is in France. And how far behind the other two sports it is.
Gotta make the leap some time. I don't know that there will be a better time .
And I did say a 6 team comp...
There's 2 fully professional club's now, they simply need to extract the best quality players from the existing 9 clubs into 4 , market it properly( having a world cup could be handy 😉)too pump it up and you'll have a broadcast deal on a streaming platform akin to stan and we're off.
Small professional comp in France.

Being Perth Red.. I can understand the sad outlook 😂

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gotta make the leap some time. I don't know that there will be a better time .
And I did say a 6 team comp...
There's 2 fully professional club's now, they simply need to extract the best quality players from the existing 9 clubs into 4 , market it properly( having a world cup could be handy 😉)too pump it up and you'll have a broadcast deal on a streaming platform akin to stan and we're off.
Small professional comp in France.

Being Perth Red.. I can understand the sad outlook 😂
There is no money lol you can’t just start a ft professional league on tin cans! I’m pretty sure if there was tv company willing to spend 25million euros on a French rl comp they wouldn’t be fighting to be in SL!
You can’t run a 4 club competition lol

but yeh I’m just being pessimistic, I’m sure you’re right and it’s just not happening because no one’s thought of it!you should write your idea on a postcard and send it to the FRL.

Gobsmacked

Bench
There is no money lol you can’t just start a ft professional league on tin cans! I’m pretty sure if there was tv company willing to spend 25million euros on a French rl comp they wouldn’t be fighting to be in SL!
You can’t run a 4 club competition lol

but yeh I’m just being pessimistic, I’m sure you’re right and it’s just not happening because no one’s thought of it!you should write your idea on a postcard and send it to the FRL.
We'll have the discussion again at the end of the 2025 World Cup in France.

Given that you see 0 growth for the game in France in 4 years with a world cup- yes you're a pessimist.

Gobsmacked

Bench

If the French sports broadcasters are going to show every French game staged in England, then they'll likely broadcast they entire comp when it's staged in France. That's a given.
Now you think it's not possible they would be interested in more Rugby league content in France after that?

That's the thinking that keeps the game back.

Perth Red

Post Whore

If the French sports broadcasters are going to show every French game staged in England, then they'll likely broadcast they entire comp when it's staged in France. That's a given.
Now you think it's not possible they would be interested in more Rugby league content in France after that?

That's the thinking that keeps the game back.
It’s not if anyone will show it, it’s will anyone value it enough to pay enough to have FT competition? At this point In time that’s a no.

Gobsmacked

Bench
It’s not if anyone will show it, it’s will anyone value it enough to pay enough to have FT competition? At this point In time that’s a no.
Why? It's only got to be enough to fund 6 clubs on a modest cap and minimal travel.
There's streaming platforms at war atm competing for content. They need content!
If the world cup in France get the exposure that's anticipated, there's going to be an appetite for more French rugby league content whether it's mainstream channels or streaming platforms certainly.

The current 9 team amateur comp plays a 12 round competition with finals.on completion:The best players are picked up by the professional clubs along with whoever else they get and play a 12 round 6 team comp
So the current comp acts as a feeder comp for the pro league.

You can't see that working?

Latest posts