What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eng V Australia

BeddyUK

Juniors
Who's stupid idea was it to have England V Australia as the pool's opening game?

I understand to kick the tournament off that such a game draws attention to RLW however this is hardly fan- friendly for those coming from the Northern Hemisphere.

The game should have been the last pool group as the anticipation would have built towards it and no matter what the result the England fans could have the gone to the knockout games (regardless to whether or not they qualify), whereas now they have the England v Aus game then a couple of dead-rubbers which most will not bother attending.

#FatNigeOut

roughyedspud

Coach
fatnige isn't the tournament organiser

and england v australia has opened 4 of the last 5 world cup

1995 england 20-16 australia
2000 england 2-22 australia
2008 we played png & oz played nz
2013 england 20-28 australia
2017 australia - england

so take ya outrage elsewhere lad

jim_57

Staff member
fatnige isn't the tournament organiser

and england v australia has opened 4 of the last 5 world cup

1995 england 20-16 australia
2000 england 2-22 australia
2008 we played png & oz played nz
2013 england 20-28 australia
2017 australia - england

so take ya outrage elsewhere lad

It would have been risky opening with game against a tier 2. In saying that, if thet heavily marketed Australia V Lebanon in Sydney as the grand opening I could see it topping 30k then they'd still have the England game up their sleeve.

dimitri

First Grade
Usually they try and have a big match near melbourne cup - to encourage travellers to go to the big race and the match

undertaker

Coach
It would have been risky opening with game against a tier 2. In saying that, if thet heavily marketed Australia V Lebanon in Sydney as the grand opening I could see it topping 30k then they'd still have the England game up their sleeve.

You need to start off a tournament with a strong opening game. Australia vs England is the right choice.

If it was Australia vs France and hypothetically Australia belted France 60-0, all the negativity from the media would be out in full force.

Australia vs Lebanon would've still been a risk in that regard.

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
Most important game of the Tournament, as its the only game Australia could lose before the Final.

As usual, we need England to deliver.

jim_57

Staff member
You need to start off a tournament with a strong opening game. Australia vs England is the right choice.

If it was Australia vs France and hypothetically Australia belted France 60-0, all the negativity from the media would be out in full force.

Australia vs Lebanon would've still been a risk in that regard.

Definitely don't disagree, it would be a massive risk for very little potential reward.

It is a bit of a shame positions 1 through 4 and quarter final qualifiers from pool A will basically be decided in week 1 but they need to start with a bang.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Agreed, and an England win (they must be due surely) would really light the tournament on fire. If I'm right I think it would mean AUS V NZL semi final and we know how the kiwis can pull a big game out in big tournaments when we least expect it

roughyedspud

Coach
Yeah the winner gets the "easy" semi basically...assuming we finish the group 1st & 2nd, remember 3 from our group go through and I'm really wanting Lebanon to shock either us or Oz lol

Last Week

Bench
The problem here is that we need England to deliver.

It's been 11 years since they(GB) beat Australia. 11 bloody years... My god that's shocking.

Billythekid

First Grade
Most important game of the Tournament, as its the only game Australia could lose before the Final.

As usual, we need England to deliver.

I feel like this has been the story of international league my whole life. Forever waiting for England to deliver. That would be the best thing for international league, for England to become a consistent threat and for the game in the NH to become more competitive overall.

paulmac

Juniors
My only beef with Aus v Eng first up it also means Lebanon v France on the same weekend & the loser of that games World Cup is basically over.

Golden point

Juniors
Who's stupid idea was it to have England V Australia as the pool's opening game?

I understand to kick the tournament off that such a game draws attention to RLW however this is hardly fan- friendly for those coming from the Northern Hemisphere.

The game should have been the last pool group as the anticipation would have built towards it and no matter what the result the England fans could have the gone to the knockout games (regardless to whether or not they qualify), whereas now they have the England v Aus game then a couple of dead-rubbers which most will not bother attending.

#FatNigeOut
Winging pom comes to mind.

Latest posts