What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England v France in Perth

Coastbloke

Bench
Just watched Youtube highlights of the England v France match during the 2013 WC and even though the French scored 1st, the Poms soon made short work of them particularly out wide.. It ended up being 34-6..

Hoping to go to the Perth game and with a few extra French players in other SL clubs, also hoping France can put up a bit of a fight. This is a good match to really promote as a event with a International flavour and the organisers for the RLWC really should communicate with the consulates for these countries to flog their cultures and have French and English festivals. Nothing sells a International tournament with players that actually sound like they come from that country..

Would be a great look if NIB is sold out.. :relaxed:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Double header as well. Should be nice weather (lol) and plenty of poms in Perth to get behind the team, though most of them are southerners and more your tweed jacket ruggers old boys. If the marketing is done right no reason it wont get close to a sell out. Get the Burgess boys over here and in front of the media for starters.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
For the good of the game as a whole I hope England win this World Cup - but also for the good of the game I want this world cup to be the moment that France stands up as a nation and continues it into the future.

In short, England to win the WC and France to go down in a close game with a gutsy performace.

hutch

First Grade
For the good of the game as a whole I hope England win this World Cup - but also for the good of the game I want this world cup to be the moment that France stands up as a nation and continues it into the future.

In short, England to win the WC and France to go down in a close game with a gutsy performace.

France to make the semis would be good!!! Or at least put in some good performances against the big nations.

adamkungl

Immortal
To make the semis France has to take a big 3 scalp

Expected result is winner of France/Lebanon finishing 3rd in their pool and NZ finishing 1st in theirs, resulting in a QF of NZ v France/Lebanon.

So either France has to beat NZ in the QF, or Australia or England as well as Lebanon to get an easier QF, or NZ has to choke in a pool game to miss that QF

With all that France has going for it; Catalans in SL, Toulouse doing well and a fully pro domestic league - anything other than a QF berth should be seen as an extraordinary failure.

But hey, it's France.

Dakink

Bench
We seem to be getting used to France failing to meet expectations internationally. Any reasons for this? We seem to keep waiting for them to emerge to become the best of the nation's outside of Aus, NZ and Eng.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
We seem to be getting used to France failing to meet expectations internationally. Any reasons for this? We seem to keep waiting for them to emerge to become the best of the nation's outside of Aus, NZ and Eng.

Maybe because rugby league isn't a big game in France therefore they do not have the resources that other nations have. Their players are also born and bred in France unlike alot of other countries who use heritage players.

Dakink

Bench
No I realise League isnt as big in France. I didn't ask why they weren't the equal to the Big 3. They have disappointed with their performances in big tournaments in the past, regardless of the opponent. Don't get me wrong Id love France to really come on, I'm wondering what they need to perform to the best of their capabilities in major tournaments.

Storm13

Juniors
Fully fit squad and a top line coach would be a great start. Have to wonder if they did go for a top line coach like Bennett, how much of a language barrier would hinder the xfactor he would bring?

That game against England last year France played with two championship quality halves, so if they can get Fages and Albert both fit playing together I think they might start to close the gap.

Possible French team:

Morgan Escare (Wigan)

Fouad Yaha,(Catalans) Tony Gigot (Catalans), Gavin Marguerite (Toulouse) Vincent Duport (Catalans)

Theo Fages (St Helens)
William Barthau (London)

Jason Baitieri (Catalans)
Benjamin Garcia (Catalans) Benjamin Jullien (Warrington)
Remi Casty (Catalans) Eloi Pelissier (Leigh) Julien Bousquet (Catalans)

Interchange: Gadwin Springer (Castleford), Mickael Simon (Catalans), Antoni Maria (Leigh) Lucas Albert (Catalans)

Escare's fitness is uncertain at this time. But the team could put up some good performances in the WC.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
France to make the semis would be good!!! Or at least put in some good performances against the big nations.
Agreed. It is time for them to step up. They have a decent pool of pros to pick from and are almost at the point of having a second SL club. Time to show some passion, heart and pride in the national shirt

Latest posts