What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England V Samoa, may 2017

Bennett and England will take on Samoa down under in a mid-season friendly in May that he hopes will harden their edges ahead of the World Cup next autumn

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/live/match-reaction/45304/bennett-lays-out-manifesto

The Australian coach spent the week building up to the London Stadium shoot-out with Australia being analysed on the back of a series of short, snappy interviews.

It has been said the veteran coach is not employed to promote the game but to win matches, something he and England have failed to do twice in this Four Nations, this 36-18 defeat knocking them out before the final at Anfield next Sunday.

That will be played out between Australia and New Zealand, leaving England's players left to ponder once more, with Bennett's words about their attitude ringing in their ears.

Based in Brisbane and away from Super League, Bennett sees no problem with the quality and skill set of his players, but he has identified fatal attitude flaws when it comes to making on-the-field decisions.

"If you look at the context of the game we competed well, but made errors," he said amid a punchy start to his post-match duties.

Bennett soon loosened up, though, adding: "The problem is our inability to continually maintain pressure... not finding the sideline on two occasions, which is pretty important in any context let alone against the best team in the world. Then the stupid penalties we continually give away.

"England are very capable of being a lot better than they are right now. A lot closer than all of you in this room realise.

"Until we get these little problems out of the road... that's manifested by their club football, I have seen that and they get away with it at that level, you can't at this, that's the difference.

"It's not commitment, effort, guys trying hard, good skills. It's all there, they just have to clean their act up and figure out what beats them. They think it's the opposition that beats them."

Bennett and England will take on Samoa down under in a mid-season friendly in May that he hopes will harden their edges ahead of the World Cup next autumn.

He knows, though, that the players have to find a way to prevent themselves falling into a malaise at club level if they are to be ready for the main event.

"This is all about the World Cup. I've learned a lot, they're a good group of blokes, they try really hard, their on- and off-field behaviour is great and they're a pleasure to be a part of," he said.

"I have enjoyed it, immensely. It's been a pleasure and it makes me frustrated, more anger in my case, as they don't show how good they can be.

"It's an easier job than I thought it would be. I thought I would have more issues to deal with, because of their behaviour and discipline. Their club coaches have done a good job with them in lots of areas, they know how to train well.

"The problems will be insurmountable if they don't have a change of attitude and buy into what I know works and won't work any other way. If they don't recognise what's beating them and change their attitude and physical behaviour on the field..."

Even poster boy Sam Burgess was not exempt, Bennett telling the captain he "needs to change" his habit of giving away penalties for club and country.

"It's not just English-based players that have got the problem," he said.

Australia and coach Mal Meninga will now head to Anfield to meet New Zealand - somewhat fortunate finalists after their inability to beat minnows Scotland.

"Credit to England but out attack was outstanding," Meninga said. "We worked on putting the ball in the right place.

"I am very pleased with the outcome. We had to work hard but deserved to win the game."

Coastbloke

Bench
So they have built Samoa v Tonga into a fantastic rivalry that defecates on SOO so in true RL fashion, they'll destroy that in 1 fell swoop ffs.
Why not play the Kiwis in the stand alone Origin weekend and leave Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG to put on some entertaining footy..

jim_57

Staff member
I like the fact England are coming over for a mid-year test, but if this is replacing Samoa V Tonga I am somewhat disappointed.

We are trying to build a great concept and rivalry and we go tinkering with it and stalling momentum because England/Bennett want a game down here?

I know there aren't many other options, and this sounds ridiculous but why not a team like Italy? it will be a "neutral" game regardless of who they play and let's be honest, the Italian team aren't all going to be boarding a flight from Rome for the match. At least it tests the viability of a one off test down as well with hopefully NZ hosting England on the stand alone weekend from 2018 onwards.

England can also play some games closer to home against the likes of France, Wales, Scotland etc and a warm up pre World Cup.

roughyedspud

Coach
So they have built Samoa v Tonga into a fantastic rivalry that defecates on SOO so in true RL fashion, they'll destroy that in 1 fell swoop ffs.
Why not play the Kiwis in the stand alone Origin weekend and leave Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG to put on some entertaining footy..

absolutely agree with the samoa & tonga thing..but its only for 1 year,from 2018 it'll be nz v england on that stand alone origin weekend in 2018 (jim you won our bet ;),i completely forget about they new tv deal thing,but drop the england v italy thing..its daft ) and the pacific tests will resume as normal..

also people need to accept that if emgland are to play mid season tests against the likes of france,wales,scotland or ireland up here...it'll be a england 'A'/knights team made up entirely of super league players..

Pommy

Coach
People often complain that the better of the tier 2 sides need to play better opposition more regularly to progress. That happens and people complain further.

Burns

First Grade
People often complain that the better of the tier 2 sides need to play better opposition more regularly to progress. That happens and people complain further.
I think there may be some concern that Tonga just won't play anyone, any by extension what will Fiji and PNG do?

France should come down as well.

jim_57

Staff member
absolutely agree with the samoa & tonga thing..but its only for 1 year,from 2018 it'll be nz v england on that stand alone origin weekend in 2018 (jim you won our bet ;),i completely forget about they new tv deal thing,but drop the england v italy thing..its daft ) and the pacific tests will resume as normal..

also people need to accept that if emgland are to play mid season tests against the likes of france,wales,scotland or ireland up here...it'll be a england 'A'/knights team made up entirely of super league players..

Don't like disrupting it at all, but for one year isn't so bad. Tonga play Samoa in the World Cup, and at least it should give Cook Islands a game.

Agree to disagree on Italy, not that much different in reality to playing Samoa in Australia. Perception yes, reality no.

Also don't have any major issues with England, France etc having mid-year games with no Australian based players.

Pommy

Coach
My big issue with mid seasons with no NRL players is that it could cause ill will in the dressing room when layers are turfed out of the squad who's been playing France to accommodate others.
Look at the shit storm selecting Hodgson caused with fans, many NRL commentators had him as the best hooker in the NRL for 2016 picking him over Smith but fans who don't watch NRL were in uproar.

jim_57

Staff member
My big issue with mid seasons with no NRL players is that it could cause ill will in the dressing room when layers are turfed out of the squad who's been playing France to accommodate others.
Look at the shit storm selecting Hodgson caused with fans, many NRL commentators had him as the best hooker in the NRL for 2016 picking him over Smith but fans who don't watch NRL were in uproar.

Will it though? nobody is entitled to an England shirt, if they're not picked because they're not considered the best available for selection at fhe time then boo-hoo to them.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
On the form of the 4 nations bring Scotland down here to play one of the pacific sides! On another note I know that there will be an opportunity during the stand alone state of Origin weekend for international games but i do think it's sad that when a specific international weekend is just starting to deliver more games that we drop the idea to make it fit in with origin. I believe OCT-NOV should be competitions and during the year their should be 2 or 3 free weekends for internationals. 1 could be in Southern hemisphere, 1 could be in Northern hemisphere and 1 could be held in a place in between where we are trying to expand.

jim_57

Staff member
You'd think with Tonga being done out of a game they'd have a plan for them in mind instead.. but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

I'd prefer to keep it Pacific and give Cook Islands a bit of time in the spotlight. Lebanon should definitely have a run though, who is available for them to play realistically?

• USA - Unlikely to be viable to come over for a one off with WC later in the year.
  • Canada - not coming for World Cup, but mid-year tour could be an option.
  • Jamaica - Mostly UK based players at full strength, may be a struggle funding a trip to Australia
  • Wales/Scotland/Ireland/France probably not viable sending a squad for a one off.
  • Italy - Potentially with a lot of Aus based players
  • South Africa - Like Canada, not coming for the WC so tour could be an option. Hard to see them being competitive against a full strength Lebanon however.
  • Solomon Islands/Vanuatu - An Option, would prefer to see them play each other.

jason1359

Juniors
I'm happy to have Samoa vs England, Aus vs NZ and Fiji vs PNG as long as Tonga get a game aswell Tonga vs Lebanon would be good

roughyedspud

Coach
You'd think with Tonga being done out of a game they'd have a plan for them in mind instead.. but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

I'd prefer to keep it Pacific and give Cook Islands a bit of time in the spotlight. Lebanon should definitely have a run though, who is available for them to play realistically?

Robbie farah
Mitchell moses
Michael lichaa
Tim mannah...maybe josh mansour,thats off the top of my head

roughyedspud

Coach
Ah lol..i think tonga is very realistic..

Both teams need a game that may weekend,ive sent the emails out to tas,dannyK & APRLC...so lets see if anything happens

jim_57

Staff member
Ah lol..i think tonga is very realistic..

Both teams need a game that may weekend,ive sent the emails out to tas,dannyK & APRLC...so lets see if anything happens

Not saying it wouldn't be good to see, would personally prefer Cook Islands play Tonga though to keep it the Pacific Double Header. Lebanon could try & piggy back off rep weekend and get an NRL funded test against someone though. Would really beef up the rep weekend making it 5 top class Internationals, small steps.

flamin

Juniors
Fairly sure rep round remains for 2017 and there is no Origin weekend.

adamkungl

Immortal
'Warm up' games for everyone in the WC with no repeats of pool games

Aus v NZ
Eng v Samoa
PNG v Fiji
Tonga v Lebanon

France v Scotland
Wales v Italy
Ireland v USA

Cook Islands, South Africa, Canada, Jamaica, Serbia, Russia might also be up for something

Latest posts