What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everybody wants a cut

siv

First Grade
One thing that irks me of late

Since we had a few good tv deals

Everyone wants their cut

Be it the usual
- the players
- rl admin staff
- clubs

But we also seeing so many other groups now wanting their share

- player managers
- RLPA
- Development staff
- stats people
- IT groups and their websites
- councils
- stadiums

People who would live just to help out
- all now want to get paid

Now we seeing this filter down into Tier 2 levels & International RL

Its stopped being a sport but now is a business

Be it from NRL to NSW Cup to the local A grade club

We seem to be killing off the reason for being a sport - to have fun

T-Boon

Coach
One thing that irks me of late

Since we had a few good tv deals

Everyone wants their cut

Every dollar that comes in just gets divided up between jerks like Phil Gould. I'd be happy if the NRL negotiated less cash and way more contra. Try to get the attendance numbers up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol, it started being a business around 1895! The more money, the more greed. Such is human nature.

Diesel

Referee
Every dollar that comes in just gets divided up between jerks like Phil Gould. I'd be happy if the NRL negotiated less cash and way more contra. Try to get the attendance numbers up.
It’ll be interesting to see what happens to whoever is tied to a percentage of pay due to the tv deal, if the next deal is less or around the same as the current deal.

Those with a hand out, should be working to promote the game and make the best decisions, not ones that benefit an individual

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think there were 3 big problems with the 2013 TV payday that have f*cked us over since...

1) Gallop kept talking it up as the light at the end of the tunnel, "everything will be fixed then when we have all of the money in the world. Everyone gets everything they want". The self-discipline from clubs was amazing leading up to 2013 and non-existent since.

2) It all came in at once, so there was no gradual rise in funds. Every budget just doubled and the infrastructure to spend this well has been playing catchup ever since.

3) the ARLC came in when the payday hit, so they had no established authority to use it. The clubs can demand whatever they want and just about everyone backs them, because they have been here longer. You compare this to the authority the NSWRL/ARL had prior to SL; funds were kept tight and clubs knew they could be cut at any time of they didnt fall into line.

Trust RL to f*ck up a $1billion payday....

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’ll be interesting to see what happens to whoever is tied to a percentage of pay due to the tv deal, if the next deal is less or around the same as the current deal.

Those with a hand out, should be working to promote the game and make the best decisions, not ones that benefit an individual

Most of the big earners will be retired by 2023 and not giving a sht!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think there were 3 big problems with the 2013 TV payday that have f*cked us over since...

1) Gallop kept talking it up as the light at the end of the tunnel, "everything will be fixed then when we have all of the money in the world. Everyone gets everything they want". The self-discipline from clubs was amazing leading up to 2013 and non-existent since.

2) It all came in at once, so there was no gradual rise in funds. Every budget just doubled and the infrastructure to spend this well has been playing catchup ever since.

3) the ARLC came in when the payday hit, so they had no established authority to use it. The clubs can demand whatever they want and just about everyone backs them, because they have been here longer. You compare this to the authority the NSWRL/ARL had prior to SL; funds were kept tight and clubs knew they could be cut at any time of they didnt fall into line.

Trust RL to f*ck up a $1billion payday....

Whilst the clubs significant funding increase is large it isn't out of kilter with overall revenue increase imo. Big issue is they have no KPI's to go with the pay out other than don't go bust, and even they are bailed out if they do. There is little responsibility expected from clubs for the money it seems. Overall I think club payments are around the 35-40% of total NRL media revenue so not over the top. Where the other 70% of total revenue is disappearing to is another question!

Life's Good

Coach
RL has been a business for years.
I don’t have a problem with those involved wanting their share IF they are contributing to growing the game & taking it forward.
It’s a big if though....

T-Boon

Coach
I can't handle seeing the present stock of NRL coaches wages go up. They are utterly useless. Most can't even speak. They do nothing to promote the growth of the game.