What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EXPANSION - Important NRL Decision this Wednesday

Le Rouge

Juniors
Bomber said:
The NRL is at a crossroads and must choose between expansion or contraction.

Expansion - Gold Coast
Contraction - Central Coast

How is it Contraction?

The GC/SE QLD area has had numerous chances

-The Gold Coast - Tweed Giants
-The Gold Coast Seagulls
-The Gold Coast Chargers
and SE QLD Crushers

The Central Coast had half an attempt.

4 chances V's Half a chance

Zack DLR

Juniors
Fair dinkum, how many times does the NRL have to try with this stupid south queensland team thing.

So far we have had the Giants/Seagulls, Crushers, and Chargers.

None of them worked. Why would anything be different this time??

Queenslanders support the broncos if theyre anywhere south of bundaberg, and the cowboys if theyre north.

I would say give it to the central coast, but after their pathetic dismissal of the eagles when they had a golden opportunity to show how much support the central coast has, I say give it to no one.

I dont see that expansion is fair on balmain, wests, norths or illawarra.... (couldnt care less what the filthy dragons think)

Murphdogg1

Juniors
i reckon it should be a CC team, GC shouldn't make it( they have had their chances) and Wellington will be ready for a team in 5-10 years but not quite yet.

The Central Coast Bears brings Rugby League to an area and re-establishes a foundation club

Bring back the red and black!

Moffo

Referee
GC never had a good team to support, so your argument is voided somewhat

They have proven to be willing to support league games (huge pre-season crowds) whereas the Gosford franchise are yet to prove themselves on the same level

Id prefer for a Syd club to relocate to CC. BTW, is the City/Country game sold out yet?

Cheers,
Moffo

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Funny how the Northern Eagles where getting 20,000 to each home game once they started...then they started loosing and couldn't even get 5,000 to the game..yet they now proclaim that the reason why it failed was because it was Manly and they couldn't identify with the side.......right :lol: :lol:, pure & simple the reason why the crowds dropped is because you had a side in area which really didn't wan't a side.

The Gold Coast trials have achieved better crowds then what the Northern Eagles had....yet they where trials and a majority of the time where sides from only NSW.

The most logical decision would put a team on the Gold Coast...we need another Queensland team, and for those who point out at the growth of the Central Coast....just look at the growth of the Gold Coast.

Let's face it

If Rugby League is to become succesfull in Australia what would be the most logical outcome??.....putting them on the out skirt of Sydney where there are already to many teams in Sydney/NSW..and also the fact that the new poxie tax being implemented at the end of the year will cost the club abit already, a side which will only open the doors for the AFL to take over Brisbane which isn't to far away mind you

Or

Doing the logical thing and putting a side on the Gold Coast where none of the above hassles will occur.

The trial crowds at the Gold coast have been fantastic also, pitty the CC can't say the same thing...will not as good anyway.

I now the AFL will be hopeing that it is yet another Sydney side...so they can either build on the Lions success or add a Gold Coast side themselves.

dimitri

First Grade
the chargers and crushers werent attempts they were successes

they were only killed becuase the broncos wanted them killed when the arl and super league came together

gold coast has lent money to clubs still in th nrl!!!!!!!!!!!

hop

Juniors
come on guys... its so obvious that we can all talk about how much our respective bid is the best..
you can't criticise the other bids (wellington included) because you have no idea... you're taking wild shots at what is wrong with the central coast and im sure there is vice versa... half of them aren't even close to true.... let's get constructive comments... i chose not to use quote here because there are so many examples from both sides..

i've been guilty of it to but soon youve gotta realise... its based on the decision tomorrow and thereafter

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Why isnt there ANYTHING about this so called 'expansion decision' at NRL.com or on the news page of LU.com? ]

Some more fabrication from someone?

miccle

Bench
Go the gold coast. Whoever said all people south of bundaberg follow the broncos - are you stupid? The amount of people from the sunny coast down to the gold coast that despise my team is incredible - and I have no doubt at all that the team would be supported. As long as they had money, they will survive.

All of these people barracking for the Central Coast probably just want to complain about the "monopoly" the broncos have on the SE QLD market for another 5 years :roll:

Grantwhy

Juniors
dimitri said:
the chargers and crushers werent attempts they were successes

they were only killed becuase the broncos wanted them killed when the arl and super league came together

gold coast has lent money to clubs still in th nrl!!!!!!!!!!!

The Crushers were owned by the QRL and pretty much drowned in debt - the QRL didn't have the funds to keep them running and didn't get much/any help from the ARL. They could not afford to keep going.

The Gold Coast was quite a different case.

*IF* I remember correctly the ARL had control of the Gold Coast Board. The Gold Coast Board decided to close down the team rather than participate in the NRL Critera (to get the number of teams down to 14).

The Gold Coast had money in the bank, ok sponsorship, were getting decent crowds and were begining to perform on the field.

I have no doubt that if the Gold Coast participated in the NRL Critera they would of passed/survived.

I firmly believe that the Gold Coast were not closed down by the ARL to protect/appease the Broncos but to 'protect' Sydney based Clubs from the NRL Critira.

:(

Grantwhy

Juniors
Parra_Eels said:
ok 2006 comp = gold coast, 22 rounds, 4 week finals series, grand final on the last sunday in september at 3pm

hmm... 22 Rounds for a 16 team seems about right. (26 games in a season + Rep games is probably to much for the players. I can't see the Clubs or NRL wanting 26 games.)

It does howerver blow a hole in the "16 teams = more money for existing clubs because of an extra home game"

11 Home games in a 22 Round comp compaired to the current 12 Home games. Less income for Clubs from gate takings.

innsaneink

Referee
Big-Steve said:
innsaneink said:
Foz said:
Re:Storm 98 argument. Plenty of good junior talent in the areas hoping to come in(which the Storm didnt have).
Plenty of good junior talent and plenty of first grade standard players are two completely different things.

Plenty of proven first graders at NRL clubs already.
Yes...already contracted.

They will always find the cattle. Dont worry about that.
A premier league team maquerading as a first grade team IS a worry I'm afraid.

Dear oh Dear you seem to be putting a negitive spin on things don't you?

Let me see if I have this right dispite the NS&CC junior base, dispite the CC comp, dispite the NS JF and PL, The Central Coast Bears will not be able to develop any NRL players and will have to raid all the other clubs.

Thank God your not incharge of my football club with an attitude like that :roll: :roll: :roll:
If there was currently first grade standard players there, they'd be signed already by NRL clubs and playing reggies or firsts already.
How long will we have to wait for norths and the C.Cst to develop these first graders?....in the meantime we get a PL team playing first grade for a cpl of years.

Now I would love to see the C.Cst in the comp....out of the three bidding I thin CC has the best to offer...financially and Jnrs wise....and Id love to see a comp with an even no. of teams......but I just dont think the players of the quality requiered exist.....and that means we'll be watching mediocrity.

Have just read an article on the Redcliffe Dolphins and considering there success and supporter base and the set up they have already they remind me very much of Port Power in the AFL. Whilst they won't be a shot today. Down the track if they tried they could be worth a go ahead of the Gold Coast. As for today I firmly believe that there will be a NO to expansion. I don't agree with it but believe that will be the outcome.

the spoon

Juniors
Im a western suburbs supporter and id still love to see the bears back just to get back a little slice of tradition back in the comp. But seeing how the nrl or arl or super league have screwwed league over the years i doubt we will see another team anytime soon unless the storm get axed But 8 thousand spectators in melbourne is better than 25 thousand at gosford

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Grantwhy said:
Parra_Eels said:
ok 2006 comp = gold coast, 22 rounds, 4 week finals series, grand final on the last sunday in september at 3pm

hmm... 22 Rounds for a 16 team seems about right. (26 games in a season + Rep games is probably to much for the players. I can't see the Clubs or NRL wanting 26 games.)

It does howerver blow a hole in the "16 teams = more money for existing clubs because of an extra home game"

11 Home games in a 22 Round comp compaired to the current 12 Home games. Less income for Clubs from gate takings.

Play another comp within the comp like a knockout comp that runs through the season. Start the season earlier. After a few weeks have the break, run international matches and have the non internationals play in the club based comp. Split the season up into four segments perhaps. The comp could be structured so that clubs that are going badly get more of a chance to go further and so we get a few more games than 22 for each player and still run about the same length but with some spice added to the straight up and down season.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
How would a 22 round competition work?. The current system works by having the 15 teams split into 3 groups, with each team playing the teams in it's own group once and the the teams in other groups twice, plus two bye rounds to allow for ther odd number of teams. In a 16 team comp you couldn't have three groups as 16 into 3 doesnt go, youd have to have two or four. So using the same formula as the current comp minus any byes (as they would no longer be necessary) You'd have either a 23 round competition (if teams were split into two groups, playing other group twice and own group once). I assume for 22 rounds teams would play their own group twice (14 games) and the other group once (8 games). Other options would be to use four groups, which could yeild either an 18 or 27 week comp.
The 23 week option is probably the best as it uses a format most similar to the current and only results in the loss of one home game every two years so the reduction in gate takings would be minimal.
Another thing that could be dome to even up the home/away game ratio would be to have each team play one game at a neutral venue, so every team would have 11 home, 11 away and one neutral game. The neutral game would be played against one of the sides that the team only plays once that year, so a teams total season would look like this:
23 games
playing 8 sides home and away
playing 3 sides home only
playing 3 sides away only
playing one side at neutral venue

This system would allow for 8 neutral matches in total. Gate takings for neutral games could be shared.
Telstra x2 (double header)
Wellington
Christchurch
Perth
Adelaide
Darwin
Port Moresby

DIEHARD

----
I'll be deadset furious if they vote against expansion.

Is it the clubs voting or the NRL partnership? If its the clubs, they should be removed from these sorts of decisions. They will make selfish decisions, we have also seen this in the Rugby Super League with the lower clubs voting to "defer" a decision on adding a French club. Even London had the hide to do this!

I think the Broncos will vote for the Gold Coast, Bennett seems to be a supporter and I believe the Broncos want a team on the Gold Coast because they believe it buys them some time before a new club ends up in Brisbane.

COME ON VOTE FOR EXPANSION! PLEASE!

The money is there you scoundrels! :evil:

doctor death

Juniors
Diehard said:
I'll be deadset furious if they vote against expansion.

Is it the clubs voting or the NRL partnership? If its the clubs, they should be removed from these sorts of decisions. They will make selfish decisions, we have also seen this in the Rugby Super League with the lower clubs voting to "defer" a decision on adding a French club. Even London had the hide to do this!

I think the Broncos will vote for the Gold Coast, Bennett seems to be a supporter and I believe the Broncos want a team on the Gold Coast because they believe it buys them some time before a new club ends up in Brisbane.

COME ON VOTE FOR EXPANSION! PLEASE!

The money is there you scoundrels! :evil:

Problem is - the same losers who ran the ARL and sold the game out in 1999 will be contributing to the decision. They are a waste of spacs and spend their time looking after their old mates - look at the special treatment Manly get when they should bein administration. What do the ARL or NRL do? Nothing.

Latest posts