What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Explain - No Manchester Super League ?

WireMan

Bench
I've been away so here we go...

They're talking of letting clubs like Warrington Wizards into the Southern Conference. Can't say I'm convinced it will work if I'm honest

Not heard that, but it could help the Southern Conference. It won't effect away crowds (as they will be low anyway) and i guess it it gives Warrington a look at players from a different area. Also the M6 is easier to travel down than the M62 is to Yorkshire.

Huddersfield and Warrington were both formidable sides and a massive crowd of 75,194 descended on the Manchester ground to see the likes of the genius Brian Bevan on the wing for The Wire (good name for a TV show perhaps).

Its Wire, or the Wire. Not The Wire. Anyway carry on.

where is Odsal stadium where that 102k crowd was?

It was more like 120,000 but people didn't bother paying. We need a thread about how to get crowds like that back. :)

If the Wizards climbed their way into Ch1, what crowds would they get and would they be classed as Wolves feeder club?

I would of thought they would be a seperate club but take young players and dual contract players. As for crowds, i would say a few hundred. Unless they played on the same day as the Wolves in a double header.

is this thread still going??

This thread is like United. It'll never die.

It also does what it wants.. :D

bowes

Juniors
If it's just Watrington Wizards in Southern Conference and maybe one other northern club it would be alright, but if it's full of northern clubs would stop clubs stepping up from the midlands and south. Tough balance.

Woolston Rovers will be summer from 2012. The North Western Counties League is effectively splitting in 2 with a winter league still under BARLA and a summer league under the RFL. Many clubs have yet to declare.

VictoryFC

Bench
By hosting in Bolton? Even if it sold out, what would it prove? One off games that draw crowds are hardly ever indicative of anything to come. If they want long term success in Bolton, then stick a side in Bolton, and you'll either sink or swim.

WireMan

Bench
The ruggeroids are trying to "captivate" the Manchester public into their very dour game. I hope it struggles to get 15k to it!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...th-cuckoos-in-the-northwest-nest-2266786.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-hit-by-unfair-local-competition-2266787.html

Yeah the semi is the only reason the crowd will be low in Bolton. :roll:

Sale fans don't bother going to Stockport, why do they think they will go to Bolton. Unfair local competition? Should we suspend the super league for a week, or move the semi to make it easier for them? It would be funny because then they would have to find a new excuse. Salford playing Bradford is a great excuse for a small crowd, especially as there crowd would be hit more by the semi than Sales.

The point that he raises about a regional sport rings true though. Union is just as reginal as League yet in the media you would think its the second national sport. When in fact the second true national sport is Cricket.

Rugby would be national, but we all play be different rules.

WireMan

Bench
If it's just Watrington Wizards in Southern Conference and maybe one other northern club it would be alright, but if it's full of northern clubs would stop clubs stepping up from the midlands and south. Tough balance.

Woolston Rovers will be summer from 2012. The North Western Counties League is effectively splitting in 2 with a winter league still under BARLA and a summer league under the RFL. Many clubs have yet to declare.

Yeah, it would have to have genuine southern teams in it (by southern i mean south of the M56, not Brighton or something).

Warrington Town often go into Southern divisions in the football so it would not be a problem. We don't associate with the grim pit town (boroughs of cities) north of us anyway. They all smell funny. :D

bowes

Juniors
Yeah the semi is the only reason the crowd will be low in Bolton. :roll:

Sale fans don't bother going to Stockport, why do they think they will go to Bolton. Unfair local competition? Should we suspend the super league for a week, or move the semi to make it easier for them? It would be funny because then they would have to find a new excuse. Salford playing Bradford is a great excuse for a small crowd, especially as there crowd would be hit more by the semi than Sales.

The point that he raises about a regional sport rings true though. Union is just as reginal as League yet in the media you would think its the second national sport. When in fact the second true national sport is Cricket.

Rugby would be national, but we all play be different rules.
RU's not really regional because the clubs are spread across the country, though it's not really national as some areas it's very small (East Anglia, South Coast, some of the RL heartlands). However, in order of popularity (when you take population into account) in region from most to last it goes: South West, Midlands, North, London/South East. Of course like RL you have small towns where RU is huge and major cities where RU is tiny (Manchester ironically comes to mind), it just doesn't follow a neat geographical pattern like RL.

Cricket is definitely number 2 sport though I agree.

Wellsy4HullFC

Juniors
By hosting in Bolton? Even if it sold out, what would it prove? One off games that draw crowds are hardly ever indicative of anything to come. If they want long term success in Bolton, then stick a side in Bolton, and you'll either sink or swim.

Tell that to Manoj...

To be fair to Sale, it's good (for them) what they are doing. I wish Harlequins RL could do something similar to get just one decent crowd a season. How many times have they got a crowd above even 6k in the last decade? Even Crusaders have had a 10k crowd.

roughyedspud

Coach
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...th-cuckoos-in-the-northwest-nest-2266786.html

Sale has not worked as a bridgehead into rugby league terrain. Now, a custom-built rugby stadium right by the motorway on the fringes of Manchester city centre, could be a very different thing.

That is what Salford are putting up at Barton and the notion that they might one day share it with Sale refuses to go away. That must be a mark of how confident rugby league is in the North-west. We're not only inviting the cuckoos into the nest, we might well be building the nest for them.

WireMan

Bench
were'nt sale going to change their name to the 'north west sharks' at one point?

They are always talking about changing. Won't make any difference. People are not stupid, they know where Sale is. They are already the North West team and if anyone wants to watch top flight Union, they will go there. The fact that they are called Sale won't stop them.

Sale are harmless and don't have a rivalry with anyone. Its not like they are Manchester thus stopping scousers going or Rochdale so the Oldham lot won't be interested, its just little old Sale. :D

This thread is so long as Manchester is the home of sport and Lancashire is the true heart of Rugby League in the universe!! :D

Latest posts