What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F*ing Brilliant songs by otherwise crap bands.

Godz Illa

Coach
Red Bear said:
Homecoming by Kanye west
Gotta love the chuitzpah from Kanye there. Acquires the services of Chris Martin from Coldplay and gets him to sing on a track about the city of Chicago. The dude from Devon singing 'fireworks in Lake Michigan/I'm coming home again' lol.

Btw for some wild trivia- DJ Premier (real name Chris Martin) appears on another track on Ye's latest album which makes it the first album to feature both Chris Martins. I know - wow.

Danish

Referee
I was trying to think of a Kanye West song....

but then realised that all of his songs are actually just other people's music with his own, lesser lyrics over the top.

So I will go with Limp Bizkit - Boiler

Godz Illa

Coach
haha Yeah I suppose Blink 182's frat punk is the paradigm of freshness and creativity. I got two songs for that whole genre Lump and Peaches by Presidents of the USA.

Danish

Referee
I'm not asking Kanye to create a new genre of music....

Just new music. Sampling classic songs so that your own song is instantly recognisable is the trick of the U.S pop industry. It puts him on the same level as Gwen steffani and Rianon.

Godz Illa

Coach
Sampling is a staple of hip-hop, like it or not. DJ Shadow described it as a way of drawing on what's around you, subverting it and de-contextualising it, which is a pretty accurate description. Kanye is great at it - and your suggestion that he chooses classics is false. Most of his choices are obscure and/or unusual. If you listened to his last album the only sample you'd pick would be the Daft Punk one and even that was from left field - you don't see too many French electro beats commandeered for rap purposes.

Danish

Referee
Rubbish, plenty of his sampled songs (particularly those on his singles) are well-known songs which hook people in.

His most recent release where he "samples" daft punk (uses their entire song without the lyrics is a more accurate description) is the worst and most blatant of the lot.

Godz Illa

Coach
Plenty? List them then. Gold Digger is a stretch. I doubt twisting a small Ray Charles soul-gospel vocal loop is gonna hook the kiddies in. Likewise the one-line of Shirley Bassey in Diamonds. Shirley hasn't even had a movie made about her yet.

Godz Illa

Coach
btw It's worth pointing out if only to highlight the evolving, malleable de-contextualisation of music that the Daft Punk song sampled by Kanye was itself composed largely of sampled music. Who's stealing from who?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Wheelsy said:
Actually, I'll put Coldplay on the list.

Coldplay — The Hardest Part.

Clocks.

Danish said:
I was trying to think of a Kanye West song....

but then realised that all of his songs are actually just other people's music with his own, lesser lyrics over the top.

Pffft

Danish

Referee
Gold digger was a stretch was it??

So you think that his choice of sample had nothing to do with the fact the song also featured prominently in the oscar award winning movie Ray, which was released months prior to the song??

Had the movie not existed I would agree with you. But the fact is he strategically used a prominent song from the movie, and even went to the lengths of including the movie's star Jamie Fox in the film clip, to boost the songs popularity.

He is a lazy music producer (I wouldn't call him a musician).