What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farahs Replacement

TheFrog

Coach
Rather than risk an untried player at this level, I think Daley will go with experience, and that means Ennis. Just don't give him the line dropouts. The Duges did all right in this regard.

tigertiger

Juniors
yeh..nah

PnqmSv.gif

AceAv

Juniors
I wouldn't doubt M. Rein would be a good choice given his form and the position his side is on the ladder.

Wouldn't surprise me if that scummy, egomaniac grub Ennis is called up however...

Jason Maher

Immortal
If Rein is picked at 9, there must be a replacement on the bench, either Hinchcliffe or Peats. He is a gun defender, but his small stature ensures he always gets targeted. Usually for Saints he plays ~30 minutes, gets replaced by L'Estrange, gets a 20-25 minute rest plus the half time break, and comes back for the last 20-25 minutes (Sunday was an exception where he played the first 60 and then went off). This is a big part of his improved form, although he has obviously also worked on his passing, decision making, and kicking game, which were all terrible the last couple of years.

big hit!

Bench
If Rein is picked at 9, there must be a replacement on the bench, either Hinchcliffe or Peats. He is a gun defender, but his small stature ensures he always gets targeted. Usually for Saints he plays ~30 minutes, gets replaced by L'Estrange, gets a 20-25 minute rest plus the half time break, and comes back for the last 20-25 minutes (Sunday was an exception where he played the first 60 and then went off). This is a big part of his improved form, although he has obviously also worked on his passing, decision making, and kicking game, which were all terrible the last couple of years.

the whole of the Saints team is playing much better this year than the last couple of seasons with virtually the same personnel. It highlights how much structure, player positioning, tactics, rotations, confidence, and understanding & belief in the coach's philosophy are massive variables in addition to the actual abilities of the players themselves. That's why folks just listing players from 1 to 17 in their SOO teams and saying that's it, and picking on certain individual players after a loss irks the shit out of me. It's park footy mentality.

Mary has implemented a system which is working for his playing personnel. In contrast, take a look at Taylor and how the Tigers are struggling to get their heads around what he's trying to achieve at Wests. He's making it too complicated for them, particularly as he has a young group.

In saying all that, I'd be weary of selecting skill position players (unless they've shown the goods before) from the Dragons after just a quarter of a season of football. Someone like rein needs to show a full season of consistently elite football before being considered in such an important role, and especially in the middle of the park. Those QLD old heads like Smith, Parker & Myles would really get into his head and put him off his game. It'd be too much too soon for him IMO.

It's why I constantly lean towards Hinchcliffe. He knows how these grubs operate and I believe he can stick to the game he has to play.

tigertiger

Juniors
I don't understand the whole Hinchcliffe push - the guy doesn't even play hooker at his club, he's too big for the modern hooker role and will tire easily at Origin pace.

big hit!

Bench
I don't understand the whole Hinchcliffe push - the guy doesn't even play hooker at his club, he's too big for the modern hooker role and will tire easily at Origin pace.

i really don't think any #9 selected in the absence of Farah can play a whole 80'.

There needs to be starting 9 and utility on the bench. Hinchcliffe has to be in one of those roles.

Just no Ennis, f**kin.

Spud 13

Juniors
I think Rein starts at 9 and hintchcliff plays the bench role, If needed he can slot in backrow as well..

maple_69

Bench
What about Rein with Austin off the bench. At least Austin can then play some backrow and second receiver on the odd occassion.

natheel

Coach
I think Peats or Rein. Peats' defence is much better than Reins but Reins attacking game at the moment is very potent. I don't think either would let NSW down