What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite surburban ground and why?

Moffo

Referee
In the days of modernism and invention, the days of the surburban ground have been long forgotten. Elite games of rugby league are now fed to us in concrete jungles such as the SFS and Stade De Oz. But i thought it time to zoom back to the past and ask everyone what their favourite suburban grounds are/were and the reasons why. Grounds such as Kogarah and Brookvale are still in use, so i guess it is fair to say that this tradition hasn't been completely lost. But surely many of the posters in here remember the days of Belmore, Redfern Oval, North Sydney Oval, Henson Park, the old showgrounds and so on....

So what was/is your favourite and why? Not just NRL/ARL games however, even the local ground where you go watch a friend or family play would make for great reading. Perhaps because you can buy a beer in a tinnie, have a smoke without getting kicked out :shock: or just stand on a hill and tell tales for a few hours :lol:

Up to you! Personally i loved North Sydney Oval. Had a special feeling to it, perhaps it was the fig tree, maybe the hill, i dont know, but i really enjoyed going to that ground. Bring it back!!!! Perhaps the idea that plonked right next to the busy CBD, you could relax and watch a game of footy

Cheers,
Moffo

kaon

Juniors
NSO is a fantastic ground but Belmore is my favourite ground because i grew up in the area. On days when there was no games being played, we would jump the brick wall at the back and play mini games of football (that's if we could ever get over the hill :oops: ).

Lynchie

Juniors
Leichardt oval is definately my pic! :D
It is an absolute gem with a good old style feel about it.
The location at the end of the street is invaluable.
Despite not being a tigers fan I would love to get there on a regular basis.
I just hope that leichardt along with Brookie and the others never lose that special and now rare quality they hold.

AND please David Gallop, DO NOT let brookie be renamed Crazy Johns Oval! :shock:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
My Favourite was Lidcombe oval.......i was fortunate to play there a number of time with my junior club Chester Hill......the grass was imaculate the dressing sheds rhek of Tommy & the 70's West side & i played my best games of football there!!,

Just a great traditional ground!! :D

82notout

Juniors
I know I could be a little bias but redfern oval is the best. I can remember going there as a kid. Had to get there before midday on match day to get a reasonable seat(when Souths were winning of course)

roostergirl

Juniors
Growing up in Brissy....have to say the old Lang Park

But I did spend many Friday nights at the old grounds that Brothers & Valleys were at...separated by a bridge :)

mono_mal

Juniors
Henson Park.
Being a youngin i never experienced first grade footy at the ground and only visited it for the first time last year!
The ground beholds a top sense of tradition and has a great history.
Features about the ground that appeal to me:
- the sausage/steak sandwiches. One of fews grounds that still run a bbq.
- tinnies.
- huge hills.
- the hill mob. a group of newtown muso's who congregate on the top of the hill to beat out some tunes. including a reworked version of paul mccartneys 'jets'.
- the king george VI stand which also includes the good old 'jet setters lounge'
- the old wooden benches around the ground.
- being able to watch the footy from the car with the car park still at the Southern end.
- being able to kick the footy on the field during the breaks.
- the views from the scoreboard which i have been lucky enough to be a scoreboard attendant.
- the volunteers and the great community spirit present!
so thats just a few of the things possesed by the Ancient Henson Park.
i'd recommend if you havent been there recently to get out there for the upcoming Jets Re-union Day on the 23rd when they clash with the Bulldogs in Premier League.
cheers

beast

Juniors
Definitely Bear Park or North Sydney Oval to be official. Has to be one of the more scenic grounds, the old stands look great..the dead ball line was very short though, it was just on the minimum required. I miss the Fig Tree and still dispute the News/NRL back in 1999 saying NSO did not meet the criteria to be an oval for the NRL.

Victor Trumper

Juniors
I'd say Leichardt, for one its only a leisurely walk from were I live. However it always seems to have a superb atmosphere regardles of the size of the crowd, it has a beaut hill, and those sausage and onion rolls are something to behold. Always an enjoyable experience for me, even thou I really don't care about the winner of the game.

hardbaby

Coach
Love WIN. The drive from Sydney is beautiful. Then you can sit in the stand and watch the waves roll in. Quick surf after the match. Lovely ground and a really good day out.

HowHigh

Coach
Probably biased but WIN stadium. Sunny Sunday arvo watching the footy with the backdrop of the beach..doesn't get much better.

Leichhardt oval is definitely a ground I'd like to get to, looks great on tv.

ash the bash

Juniors
Have been lucky enough to go to Brookie, Shark Park and Parramatta stadium. I'd rate the view from Brookie better than the seats I was on at Shark Park. Would like to visit leighcardt one day.

Fire

First Grade
Kogarah, grew up there and memories.

Wollongong, for the reasons Hardbaby outlined. Surfing, make a day of it, etc.

That ground Easts train at sometimes. I forget the name but it has an athletics track around it. Played some good games of footy there.

ash the bash

Juniors
Sorry forgot to mention Kogarah too, and to be honest the few times we went we never had much trouble with parking. However the view is not as good as the Brookie Hill.