What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Female Refs

nick87

Coach
Problem is, with Api out the Tigers senior players were Bateman and Klemmer. The lunatics were well and truly running the asylum and it showed
100%
I love John Bateman, he is one of my favourite players of all time, despite all the nonsense that went on with him at the end with Canberra and despite him being there for a very short period of time. I f**king love the bloke.

He should not be the captain of a f**king toy boat in a bath.
He is exactly as you say - a f**king lunatic. Which to be clear is one of the things i love most about him.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I don't know. I feel like this looks worse than it is because of their comparative stature. And it's a still.

Not justifying Klemmer's behaviour but he was sin binned and that's probably sufficient.
Forget the size difference. Unless he is the captain why is he approaching the ref in the first place?

Its these excuses: its a still, their is a size difference etc that normalises poor behaviour.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yeah ok, fair enough. And he was binned.

If it was a male, that'd be enough- right?
I disagree, not with you specifically.

Players rushing up to refs and trying to imitate them is a poor look and needs to be stamped out. It's the NRL and refs fault its allowed to happen.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Take a look at this photo of a player who is 30 years old and has played 226 first grade games (as well as SoO and tests).

View attachment 87649
I understand there's passion and high stakes in league but this turnip needs to be stood down for intimidating the ref, and it doesn't matter if the ref is male or female.

Who the f**k would want to be, or have their kids be refs if they are treated like this at the highest professional level? The so called man management approach which other posters have spoken about is a big reason for this. Plus for a decade and a half we had Cameron Smith manipulating refs into meekness.

Wasnt Klemmer already binned by this stage? I mean he shouldve been sent off. I dont know what he was trying to do here and if its just a fine he copped, he's lucky to get away with it.

As an aside, this shows the utter rubbish that the Match Review Committee now comes out with.

When Klemmer and Graham stood over Gerard Sutton on Good Friday 2015, they were both slapped with 3 and 2 match bans respectively.

Now, Klemmer does the same thing and he's only facing a $3,000 fine. I know the whole judiciary system has had an overhaul since then - I'm not even sure we had fines in 2015 - but how is something worth 2-3 games back then now not worth missing any time over whatsoever?
100% skeepe, what you say combined with plenty of other comments is what is wrong with the code.
Gould gets a $20k fine for saying basically what many agree with.

“The weekend was a disgrace, it’s been bad,” Anasta said. (was that worth a fine?)

James Graham has questioned how the Bunker can make several poor decisions that impact stakeholders at all levels of rugby league. (was the following worth a fine?)

“We appreciate there’s difficult decisions to make, but there was some that were made by the Bunker that are unacceptable to the players who work so hard,” he said on NRL360.

“It’s unacceptable and not fair to the coaches that dedicate so much of their time. It’s not acceptable to the fans that dedicate their time around their team’s fixtures.

Not taking anything away from what you wrote about Klemmer but the 'game' including Albo & Annersley, the match review committee, the bunker, putting refs in charge who are not able to keep up with the play, etc etc is where the problems start from. Klemmer is a bully, but the referee's bosses are to blame for putting her (and I didn't want to bring gender into it) in such a position and when they the refs get dropped, they name them as the video refs and if they do have offsiders watching the game, they don't name them, so it's 1 name that cops the blame for the blunders.

gerg

Juniors
We've put up with Klein completely f***ing up games for about a decade, including SOO and finals matches. He was dropped and assigned to a bunker role in the past and he's even worse in there.

She had a poor game last week but no worse than other referees have been. The bigger problem is Annesley and his weekly waffle. Also the tinkering with the rules each year. I reckon it would be a really difficult job and then you have numbnuts making it more difficult every Monday.

We've put up with Klein completely f***ing up games for about a decade, including SOO and finals matches. He was dropped and assigned to a bunker role in the past and he's even worse in there.

She had a poor game last week but no worse than other referees have been. The bigger problem is Annesley and his weekly waffle. Also the tinkering with the rules each year. I reckon it would be a really difficult job and then you have numbnuts making it more difficult every Monday.

She has had two bad games in a row, she had a shocker in the Titans v Raiders game as well, lost control of both games shes been lead ref.

Frailty

First Grade
i knew this was gonna happen
i knew this would end up becoming tigers fault
and maybe bateman was carrying on cause this is the 3rd week in a row tigers are getting crazy dumb calls against them that make 0 sense
Oh cry me a river. Tigers problem is their victim-complex at the moment, and it doesn't help that podcasts like Westslife Podcast are big proponents of that complex.

The same games the Tigers fans have complained about they happily enough ignore decisions that go their way. Sezer not getting sin-binned for his hip drop - nah, let's not mention that. Tigers player contacting a Penrith kicker's legs and not being penalised (and scoring from the ensuring set) - nah, let's not mention that. And whether you like it or not, the Api no-try was the correct call by the rules. Have an issue with the rules, but it was the correct decision.

Tigers lost all three games from their play, not the officials. The longer they deflect responsibility, the longer the team will remain in the basement.

Meth

Staff member
I disagree, not with you specifically.

Players rushing up to refs and trying to imitate them is a poor look and needs to be stamped out. It's the NRL and refs fault its allowed to happen.

Fair enough. I guess all you want is consistency, right?

Meth

Staff member
Wasnt Klemmer already binned by this stage? I mean he shouldve been sent off. I dont know what he was trying to do here and if its just a fine he copped, he's lucky to get away with it.

Yeah definitely could have been sent for still being around and involved.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
100% skeepe, what you say combined with plenty of other comments is what is wrong with the code.
Gould gets a $20k fine for saying basically what many agree with.

“The weekend was a disgrace, it’s been bad,” Anasta said. (was that worth a fine?)

James Graham has questioned how the Bunker can make several poor decisions that impact stakeholders at all levels of rugby league. (was the following worth a fine?)
Not to draw the thread off topic too much, but the two ex-players and now media commentators you mention have no official affiliation with any clubs. The reason Gould has been fined is that in addition to being a media commentator he is an official of the Bulldogs. He falls under the same category as a player or coach making those comments. The examples you gave are not comparable for that reason.