What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Female Refs

no name

Coach
I think i saw 2-3 tries scored this week in which the player grounding the ball had less control of the ball than Api last week which was disallowed

We need to study how have they f**ked up grounding the ball to this degree. It's unreal.
Which then prompts people to argue over which of the calls were right.
I think Api’s and the tries scored this week should all have been given.
Problem is Annersley said last week the bunker was right for disallowing Api’s.

Apey

Staff member
Which then prompts people to argue over which of the calls were right.
I think Api’s and the tries scored this week should all have been given.
Problem is Annersley said last week the bunker was right for disallowing Api’s.
All three decisions were the correct call. You can argue the rule is bad, sure, but under the definition he didn't regain possession after losing it momentarily. You have to re-grip the ball after losing possession. I'm not a fan of being that nitpicky (i.e super slow mo) with replays to pick it up in the first place, but I'm not sure where you draw the line there.

The other two were tries under the change in 2023: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/01/12/no-new-rules-for-2023-season/

Grounding the Ball

Tries will now be awarded if the ball rotates from the hand to the wrist or forearm provided there is no obvious separation between the ball and the hand or arm. The new interpretation will allow further clarity for officials when adjudicating grounding.

bedlam breakout

Juniors
with the introduction of female refs the players have been warned they may get penalised for fouls made years ago that they thought had been completely forgotten about but are likely to get dragged back up

Kasey Badger often lost charge of the game in reserves, it's a clear example of promoting someone into a position they are out of there league in to present a image that there is equality in the NRL.

Sharpe hasn't been to bad.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Some of the decisions she has made hasnt been as bad as others. That decision above was at a crucial stage was given the "rest". Yet we've seen howlers by others, especially ones in the bunker with 40 different camera angels, and has somehow got another gig the following week.

no name

Coach
All three decisions were the correct call. You can argue the rule is bad, sure, but under the definition he didn't regain possession after losing it momentarily. You have to re-grip the ball after losing possession. I'm not a fan of being that nitpicky (i.e super slow mo) with replays to pick it up in the first place, but I'm not sure where you draw the line there.

The other two were tries under the change in 2023: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/01/12/no-new-rules-for-2023-season/
I disagree that there was obvious separation between the ball and Api’s arm and so do the vast majority.

kurt faulk

Coach

Api's no try has been a try since the game was invented. And sami's try had been a no try the same time.

How did the nrl suddenly get them backwards?

Apey

Staff member
I disagree that there was obvious separation between the ball and Api’s arm and so do the vast majority.
Having just watched footage from all angles that Annesley presented, there was undoubtedly separation for me. Only need to watch a minute of the video below:

Again though, for me it comes back to whether we want to slow it down this much to adjudicate on separation that is probably <1/10 of a second long.

Canard

Immortal
I think i saw 2-3 tries scored this week in which the player grounding the ball had less control of the ball than Api last week which was disallowed

We need to study how have they f**ked up grounding the ball to this degree. It's unreal.
Last week, Annesley made a point of saying that due to some blow up years ago they changed the rules. (Didn't say what incident)

And the rule is, if the ball comes away from the hand, it doesn't matter if you regather it, it's a no try.

nick87

Coach
View attachment 87636

Every game this season she has been ref she has been extremely ordinary.
The carry on about this incident has been way over blown too

Since the introduction of golden point I don’t think there has been a single FG attempt in golden point where at least one defender hasn’t been offside on the kick pressure. And i don’t remember a single time it’s been called. Which isn’t to say it’s not been called, I’m sure it has a few times, but is to say marginal offsides are not getting called on this and never have been, so expecting it to be called here isn’t realistic

and Annesley burying her on this missed called and the 20 odd ruck penalty’s she missed from the titans, which is the stuff that is always missed, was a major error by Annesley and applied an unnecessary level of pressure and spotlight on the referee

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
Last week, Annesley made a point of saying that due to some blow up years ago they changed the rules. (Didn't say what incident)

And the rule is, if the ball comes away from the hand, it doesn't matter if you regather it, it's a no try.

yeah I’m aware of that rule
But we’ve now got a situation where we are slowing a grounding down to milliseconds and denying a try because the ball seperated for a frame in super slow mo despite the player having complete control of the football

and allowing tries where the player has no control of the ball because by luck their hand maintained some contact with the football

I understand it’s the rule and by the rule that’s the correct call. My point is how and why did we need to reinvent grounding the ball and why did we f**k it up so badly that we have these results?

Apey

Staff member
yeah I’m aware of that rule
But we’ve now got a situation where we are slowing a grounding down to milliseconds and denying a try because the ball seperated for a frame in super slow mo despite the player having complete control of the football

and allowing tries where the player has no control of the ball because by luck their hand maintained some contact with the football

I understand it’s the rule and by the rule that’s the correct call. My point is how and why did we need to reinvent grounding the ball and why did we f**k it up so badly that we have these results?
I think the NRL has struggled to define what they want to be a legitimate grounding over the years. I personally prefer the concept of control being the determining factor, but I guess they didn't like the grey areas that came with that, i.e deciding what constitutes control. I would argue their current definition, which completely relies on separation, has less grey area than control does, but results in shitty tries being awarded where players clearly don't have the old famous 'downward pressure' on the ball.

nick87

Coach
Yeah they’ve talked and written themselves into knots

you show any rl fan the Phillip Sami try from this week and Api’s from last week and near 100% of them will tell you they got both calls wrong

Latest posts