What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Female Refs

Braith Anasta is right, take gender out of it.. she shouldn’t be in first grade after her performance on the weekend, regardless of gender. NRL are backing her and it won’t end well.

final say

Juniors
This thread is actually a bummer.
If you want to start a thread about a particular ref.. fine but a gender?
There's no difference between gender when it becomes about adjudication and why know body is talking about female judges.
I love that our game isn't discriminating and so long as a spade is called a spade and not what gender the f**king spade was ! All good.

Canard

Immortal
yeah I’m aware of that rule
But we’ve now got a situation where we are slowing a grounding down to milliseconds and denying a try because the ball seperated for a frame in super slow mo despite the player having complete control of the football

and allowing tries where the player has no control of the ball because by luck their hand maintained some contact with the football

I understand it’s the rule and by the rule that’s the correct call. My point is how and why did we need to reinvent grounding the ball and why did we f**k it up so badly that we have these results?
I'd love to know that the inciting incident was.

I suspect it was a Inglis try at an Docklands Origin. Maybe this one?

The press and Gould in particular whined hard about it, so it's a case of "be careful what you wish for"

Last edited:
I saw some stats on twitter last night and i cant seem to find them now, but the stats pretty clearly showed Badger is no worse than any of the other officials as it relates to getting calls wrong (measured in terms of bunker overturns and successful captains challenges)

I think referees in general are pretty poor in our code, i think the game makes it really hard on them, some of the rules and interpretations are tough, i think our national media harp too much on referee calls and like to be very black and white about "What a howler!" when a lot of these calls we get hung up on are 50/50 calls that could go either way, and i think that feeds a machine of sooking and whinging by coaches/players/fans.

I dont think Casey Badger is any worse than half the other referees in the game but the vitriol directed at her and the nature of the comments are far worse than any other ref cops... Adam Gee gets a "f**king clueless idiot" from the angry fan, whilst Badger's criticism comes almost entirely in form of misogynistic remarks. And that is pretty f**king disgraceful.

I dont think she handled that game well yesterday, but i think that sort of game can happen to any official if they don't put a lid on it early, but i also think Tigers fans are overlooking how poorly their players acted toward her. She'd have been entitled to sit another 1-2 tigers players down, including Bateman for the way they were carrying on.
i knew this was gonna happen
i knew this would end up becoming tigers fault
and maybe bateman was carrying on cause this is the 3rd week in a row tigers are getting crazy dumb calls against them that make 0 sense

Big Pete

Referee
I'd love to know that the inciting incident was.

I suspect it was a Inglis try at an Docklands Origin. Maybe this one?

The press and Gould in particular whined hard about it, so it's a case of "be careful what you wish for"
I'd imagine the Inglis ruling would have gone back to the 2008 Grand Final where Slater slid foot first into Robertson and the NRL promptly outlawed the play. You could no longer dislodge the ball with your foot like Farah did in that instance.

The first example that comes to mind was the Thaiday No Try in Origin II 2014.

Sterlo cites the same interpretation, so you can trace it back at least 10 years.

The closest comparison that comes to mind as a Broncos fan is the Kotoni Staggs 'try' vs. South Sydney back in 2020.

Annesley admitted after the match the try shouldn't have been rewarded because there was a split second where Staggs lost contact with the ball as he adjusted his grip to slam it down. That was under the old video referee system where they couldn't over-rule the on-field decision unless it was reviewed.

Vee

First Grade
yeah I’m aware of that rule
But we’ve now got a situation where we are slowing a grounding down to milliseconds and denying a try because the ball seperated for a frame in super slow mo despite the player having complete control of the football
If there's separation, he doesn't have complete control of the football.

Vee

First Grade
Yeah they’ve talked and written themselves into knots

you show any rl fan the Phillip Sami try from this week and Api’s from last week and near 100% of them will tell you they got both calls wrong
I'm a rl fan and I will tell you they got Api's call right.

Valheru

Coach
Except you and others are not treating them the same. You and others are pushing for her to be treated more harshly than her male colleagues because she's a woman.
Rubbish

Klein got "rested" after his terrible performance in the roosters/storm game and was outright dropped after his performance in the semi between the same two clubs last year. The same should happen to Badger as she was as bad, if not worse than that and she absolutely lost control of the game on the weekend. Instead we have the NRL and others like yourself unconditionally backing her because she is a woman.

nick87

Coach
i knew this was gonna happen
i knew this would end up becoming tigers fault
and maybe bateman was carrying on cause this is the 3rd week in a row tigers are getting crazy dumb calls against them that make 0 sense

I mean it's not that game day official's fault if the Tigers had tough calls go against them in the two previous weeks. She wasn't refereeing those games.
It's up to the tigers and their players to manage their behaviour and frustrations. That's part of sport. Controlling your emotion. They failed and it cost them.

Is it understandable they were frustrated? Sure. But the way they were berating the official simply isnt going to be tolerated in any professional game.
The official had every right to tell them to pull their heads in and when they couldn't, a sin bin was appropriate. And as said, frankly Bateman was lucky not to follow Klemmer.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Take a look at this photo of a player who is 30 years old and has played 226 first grade games (as well as SoO and tests).

ae8d102d79dc40372eab7ae91ee3481a-1.jpeg
I understand there's passion and high stakes in league but this turnip needs to be stood down for intimidating the ref, and it doesn't matter if the ref is male or female.

Who the f**k would want to be, or have their kids be refs if they are treated like this at the highest professional level? The so called man management approach which other posters have spoken about is a big reason for this. Plus for a decade and a half we had Cameron Smith manipulating refs into meekness.

skeepe

Immortal
Take a look at this photo of a player who is 30 years old and has played 226 first grade games (as well as SoO and tests).

View attachment 87649
I understand there's passion and high stakes in league but this turnip needs to be stood down for intimidating the ref, and it doesn't matter if the ref is male or female.

Who the f**k would want to be, or have their kids be refs if they are treated like this at the highest professional level? The so called man management approach which other posters have spoken about is a big reason for this. Plus for a decade and a half we had Cameron Smith manipulating refs into meekness.

As an aside, this shows the utter rubbish that the Match Review Committee now comes out with.

When Klemmer and Graham stood over Gerard Sutton on Good Friday 2015, they were both slapped with 3 and 2 match bans respectively.

Now, Klemmer does the same thing and he's only facing a $3,000 fine. I know the whole judiciary system has had an overhaul since then - I'm not even sure we had fines in 2015 - but how is something worth 2-3 games back then now not worth missing any time over whatsoever?

ek999

First Grade
I mean it's not that game day official's fault if the Tigers had tough calls go against them in the two previous weeks. She wasn't refereeing those games.
It's up to the tigers and their players to manage their behaviour and frustrations. That's part of sport. Controlling your emotion. They failed and it cost them.

Is it understandable they were frustrated? Sure. But the way they were berating the official simply isnt going to be tolerated in any professional game.
The official had every right to tell them to pull their heads in and when they couldn't, a sin bin was appropriate. And as said, frankly Bateman was lucky not to follow Klemmer.
Problem is, with Api out the Tigers senior players were Bateman and Klemmer. The lunatics were well and truly running the asylum and it showed

Meth

Staff member

View attachment 87649

I don't know. I feel like this looks worse than it is because of their comparative stature. And it's a still.

Not justifying Klemmer's behaviour but he was sin binned and that's probably sufficient.

Latest posts