What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Female Refs

Penrith fan

Juniors
If you think you can do a better job, go and do it. Go and put your hand up to be a referee,” Billy Slater said no his podcast. The issue isn't about that, Billy. It's comparable to suggesting that if she were a better player, she should volunteer to play. Isn't Badger a qualified referee? Shouldn't there be an expectation for her to perform at her best? While referees should not be subjected to abuse, it's important not to conflate legitimate criticism with abuse.

I will say firstly that I think she went no worse on the weekend then about 3 or 4 of her male counterparts but got no more criticism than they got either. when you're an NRL referee rightly or wrongly you will get criticised heavily. Some of the calls on the weekend defied belief & when there is no accountability & when these same clowns continue to get appointed despite their poor performances well the complaining will continue too.

Penrith fan

Juniors
The referring has been great for a few years now. NRL refs are at the pinnacle and are leaving the AFL in their tracks. NRL refs are the hottest ticket in town.
Let's face it, NRL and AFL don't have "real" laws, they have suggestions or directions that the referee should follow and another suggestion or directive that is exactly the opposite that they should follow.

Both sports are shit shows of unenforceable rules that can be manipulated depending on who and whom is the infringer and the infringe and the person blowing the whistle.

Tiger Shark

Bench
https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/other/teams-under-fire-ref-learns-fate-after-criticism/ar-BB1lWaMM?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=W045&cvid=8a799bfce1c145d7a92606d55520d431&ei=17

Kasey Badger has retained her spot as a lead referee heading into round 10 in a show of faith from the NRL officials.

Despite a poor showing during the Bulldogs vs Tigers clash last weekend, Badger has been appointed for Sunday's match between the Roosters and Warriors.

The decision comes after widespread criticism of her performance, which included two players being sin-binned and a number of other controversial decisions.
They were never going to drop her after backing her publicly, even though she probably deserved it.

She's going to be under a lot of pressure this week not to have any crucial blunders.

Penrith fan

Juniors
True I hope she responds with a blinder. I Don't care if she is a man or woman or anything in between, she needs to raise the level of correct officiating.

The NRL don't think it is a gender issue.

The NRL has maintained that anger directed at referee Kasey Badger during Saturday’s fiery clash between Wests Tigers and Canterbury was not a “gender issue”, as it emerged the female whistleblower deactivated her social media accounts every weekend to avoid reading hateful messages.

Annesley, however, said Badger’s inexperience, not her gender, was to blame for the pile-on that resulted in Badger trending at No.1 over the weekend on social media site X, formerly known as Twitter.

Basically, Annesley said "Yeah, she is shit but give her a go"

Penrith fan

Juniors
Roosters v Warriors.

If Kasey Badger makes some dodgy calls against the Warriors, we could have an international incident on our hands.

Fortunately, New Zealand don't have any nuclear weapons, so I think she can only cause them to stop sending us their imports of white wine and lamb cutlets.

Last edited:

Penrith fan

Juniors
Plenty of players have towered over male referees, and attempted to exert some influence. It doesn’t only happen to female referees. It’s not a gender issue.

In this particular case, Kasey is in [charge] of her third NRL game, she’s a rookie referee, and players will try to test rookie referees, regardless of gender. They’ll see how far they can push them.

simmo05

Bench
Take a look at this photo of a player who is 30 years old and has played 226 first grade games (as well as SoO and tests).

View attachment 87649
I understand there's passion and high stakes in league but this turnip needs to be stood down for intimidating the ref, and it doesn't matter if the ref is male or female.

Who the f**k would want to be, or have their kids be refs if they are treated like this at the highest professional level? The so called man management approach which other posters have spoken about is a big reason for this. Plus for a decade and a half we had Cameron Smith manipulating refs into meekness.
Players have been carrying on like porkchops towards referees for many years, now. He was doing what has been common practice, except this time its a sheila. This carry on should have been stamped out years ago, but the nrl have let it get to where it is now

simmo05

Bench
If you think you can do a better job, go and do it. Go and put your hand up to be a referee,” Billy Slater said no his podcast. The issue isn't about that, Billy. It's comparable to suggesting that if she were a better player, she should volunteer to play. Isn't Badger a qualified referee? Shouldn't there be an expectation for her to perform at her best? While referees should not be subjected to abuse, it's important not to conflate legitimate criticism with abuse.

I will say firstly that I think she went no worse on the weekend then about 3 or 4 of her male counterparts but got no more criticism than they got either. when you're an NRL referee rightly or wrongly you will get criticised heavily. Some of the calls on the weekend defied belief & when there is no accountability & when these same clowns continue to get appointed despite their poor performances well the complaining will continue too.
Did Billy call out his mate Thurston for accusing the refs of cheating on national TV?
I think he forgets they all get paid from fans investing heavily in time and money, huge amounts of both. And if I want to voice my opinion on shit players or shit refs I will, he can f**k right off

Danish

Referee
the “if you think you can do it better, put on a whistle” is a bit rich coming from a man who’s entire job is to critique players of a game he is no longer capable of playing.

I suppose we aren’t allowed to criticise politicians unless we agree to run for government ourselves as well, eh Billy?

Maximus

Coach
I'm not defending Klein, he can f**k right off.

The number of games also has nothing to do with it, she is either competent to she isn't. None of the others you have mentioned have refereed as poorly as her this season IMO and certainly none of them has lost control of a game.

Do you expect someone playing their 4th game to be at the same standard as Cameron Smith? No. Of course the number of games matters. If you have refereed over 550 top grade and rep games, of course you shouldn't be making the same mistakes as someone in their 4th game.

All those refs I mentioned have been poor for years. None of them have ever gotten the same level of vitriol that is being directed at Badger and Sharpe.

Danish

Referee
Do you expect someone playing their 4th game to be at the same standard as Cameron Smith? No. Of course the number of games matters. If you have refereed over 550 top grade and rep games, of course you shouldn't be making the same mistakes as someone in their 4th game.

All those refs I mentioned have been poor for years. None of them have ever gotten the same level of vitriol that is being directed at Badger and Sharpe.

If a rookie was 4 games deep into his career and had almost single-handedly cost his side 2 of them (the equivalent to the horrendous f**k ups badger has made this year), you can bet every fan of that team would be calling for him to be dropped immediately, and every opposition fan to be tearing strips off him for being so bad.

Maximus

Coach
If a rookie was 4 games deep into his career and had almost single-handedly cost his side 2 of them (the equivalent to the horrendous f**k ups badger has made this year), you can bet every fan of that team would be calling for him to be dropped immediately, and every opposition fan to be tearing strips off him for being so bad.

And how many of them would be called a whore for example? Or how many people would claim they were only in the team because of who they were f**king?

Danish

Referee
And how many of them would be called a whore for example? Or how many people would claim they were only in the team because of who they were f**king?

if the rookie was actually married to the coach or club management then yeah questions would likely be asked about nepotism.

can’t say that situation has ever came up though?

mind you plenty of people used to accuse Scott Minto of being Wayne’s love child. It was the only way people could make sense of him being in the side.

then there is the constant bagging of Flannagan for being picked over others due to being the coaches son, not to mention Arthurs who had to leave the club his father was coach of due to such abuse.

actually marry John’s son copped it too now that I think of it. As did Pearce.

basically every player with an actual familial relationship to a coach or even just famous father is constantly ragged on for only being where they are because of who their dad is

Oh cry me a river. Tigers problem is their victim-complex at the moment, and it doesn't help that podcasts like Westslife Podcast are big proponents of that complex.

The same games the Tigers fans have complained about they happily enough ignore decisions that go their way. Sezer not getting sin-binned for his hip drop - nah, let's not mention that. Tigers player contacting a Penrith kicker's legs and not being penalised (and scoring from the ensuring set) - nah, let's not mention that. And whether you like it or not, the Api no-try was the correct call by the rules. Have an issue with the rules, but it was the correct decision.

Tigers lost all three games from their play, not the officials. The longer they deflect responsibility, the longer the team will remain in the basement.
i had no problem with Sezer going to the bin i think all tigers fans would agree he should of but so should have Mahoney
there's been several tries that the bunker have oked that are far worse than Api no try this year

your a deadset feminist, heap of male refs get slammed for poor performances this is getting so much traction because people like you are calling out the gender card.

Latest posts