What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fergies Boxing debut

some11

Referee
zjuk2g.jpg

Horrie Is God

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/boxing-readies-blake-ferguson-for-fight-ahead-20131128-2yb2x.html

Boxing readies Blake Ferguson for fight ahead..

Date November 28, 2013 - 10:24AM

After a series of poor decisions, former Canberra Raider Blake Ferguson abandoned his rugby league career, letting rare sporting talent go to waste.

I failed miserably. But I don't care, I'm happy.

But on Wednesday night he relished being back in the heat of battle.

Even if the fallen NSW star looked a fish out of water in boxing gloves rather than football boots.

"I failed miserably. But I don't care, I'm happy," he said.

And with that Ferguson will now turn his attention to resurrecting his NRL career for next season, striving for a second chance in a sport where he excels.

The 23-year-old was convincingly beaten in his heavyweight boxing debut by Goulburn excavator Luke Turner at Sydney Olympic Park on Wednesday night but, for Ferguson, the result didn't really seem to matter.

Despite being outclassed, it was clear he enjoyed the experience, smiling throughout and congratulating Turner in the ring afterwards.

Training under the guidance of mentor Anthony Mundine gave Ferguson much-needed direction and focus, after alcohol contributed to his life spiralling out of control.

However, the sternest test for Ferguson is yet to come.

There's a pending court case over a charge of indecent assault, to which he's pleaded not guilty.

And even though South Sydney, Cronulla and the Warriors are seemingly queuing up for his signature, Ferguson must first gain approval of the NRL and its integrity unit before he's allowed to play.

Even if Ferguson has burnt some bridges in NRL-land after walking out on Canberra, Wednesday night proved he still enjoys a lot of support from players.

Former Raiders teammates Joel Thompson and Josh Dugan were also at the arena, as were prospective Cronulla teammates Todd Carney, Wade Graham, Anthony Tupou and Jeff Robson were in attendance cheering him on, and a man he could potentially play alongside next year, South Sydney winger Nathan Merritt.

Ferguson said he was grateful for the support friends and family have shown for him.
"All the boys were there. I tried to get as many people as I could here," Ferguson told AAP.

"It was awesome for them to get out here. I spoke to Joel Thompson after the fight and he just said that I had a good crack. He's one of my best mates.

"It was a good experience and good to get some of the NRL boys here, and try and put on a show. I failed miserably, But I don't care, I'm happy.

"I've been really well supported. I've got good friends, got good family. All you can ask for."

Ferguson won't rule out fighting again, but said that was in the hands of his agent, Khoder Nasser.

He said boxing has helped get him to a good place.

"I just enjoy my life," he said. "I've got little cousins that look up to me and I'm trying to guide them in the right journey."

Radical Rat

Juniors
Carl Webb and Ferguson join an elite club of boxers that failed to defeat a hand picked stooge in their first and only pro fights.

Yeah but at least Ferguson never talked himself up as a hard man that could have had a pro boxing career.

Ozzy

First Grade
If last nights fight taught us nothing else, and it hasn't... it taught us that nothing involving Blake Ferguson belongs in a fight club.
:lol: And I just heard now on the radio that Mundine thinks the win last night entitles him to have his arse handed to him by Mayweather.

beave

Coach
"And thanks to my sponsors as well"

yeah I am sure "vodka cruizers' and Northies appreciate the shout out........

Ulysseus

Bench
Yeah but at least Ferguson never talked himself up as a hard man that could have had a pro boxing career.

Yes that was very embarrassing for all concerned.
Lets not forget SBW's fight that had two rounds removed because he started to knock up............... badly - that was an absolute disgrace.

But yeah, Fergo...................................... go back to what you do best man, boxing clearly isn't for you.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Mad show lol

It was the worst card of boxing I have ever seen.
Only decent fight was the one before the ferguson fight.

eozsmiles

Bench
Fergo doesn't play footy, isn't even a registered player. Mosely needs to work on his low tackling technique but showed some promise.

Shouldn't this be in a different section, maybe the fun bar?

On a serious note, the doc did Mosely a favour. He was about to get ruined, bad back or not.

Latest posts