What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiji Bid ready for 2019 only needs FNRL approval

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Seems to me that the traditional rugby league NH and SH championships are breaking down, to be replaced by something more dynamic and far reaching. You read it here first, bookmark it.

So the FNRL and the bid team have supposedly come to an agreement that they support what each other is doing...without actually having the endorsement of the FNRL for the bid.

Whatever that means.

Seems like they are close to gaining the board's endorsement but they have a few things to iron out first. But the press release says they hope to have it sorted before Christmas, which is not far off.

Coastbloke

Bench
This needed to happen next year. Could have happened this year.
This sport excels in dragging it's feet when something good for the game raises it's head..

I'm yet to be convinced otherwise that the NRL Clubs and powerbrokers like Gus and some rugby league journalists would love to see League only exist in Oz and be like the NFL and AFL..

StadiumXIII

Juniors
FNRL, Fiji NSW bid team sort out matters
Moiz Munif
Thursday, December 21, 2017

Fiji National Rugby League (FNRL) board and New South Wales (NSW) Intrust Cup bid team have agreed to work together.

In a joint statement yesterday following the board meeting in Suva, FNRL chairman Filimone Vosarogo said the board members and the Fiji NSW bid team led by Petero Civoniceva had a discussion via telephone. Vosarogo says the FNRL board is seeking a few clarifications from the NSW bid team.

"There are questions that the FNRL board have listed for Civoniceva and his team to clarify; given that some FNRL board members weren't privy to discussions in the past three years," Vosarogo said.

The joint statement stated Civoniceva has agreed to provide clarifications.

"Speaking from Queensland, while holidaying with his family, Civoniceva said he would get back to the FNRL board, within the time frame agreed to. He added, I look forward to 2018 and working with FNRL board, I am optimistic about a bright future ahead and moreover making an official announcement in Fiji — hopefully in the New Year," the statement read.

It further stated: "Both leaders acknowledged the need to create the space for moving forward and future planning; the need to work together to mutually benefit each other and more importantly, the need to set a platform that would ultimately benefit players and clubs across Fiji."

In conclusion FNRL chairman said the discussion was a positive one and they looked forward to having a positive relationship.

"Ultimately, we are all on the same page here, and we want what is best for everyone, so having that clarification is a positive sign, moving into 2018.

"Both hoped to make an announcement before Christmas regarding the endorsement and then working collegially in mapping out a strategy — bringing both camps together as early as January 2018," Vosarogo said.

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=428255

with NSW Cup getting extra TV coverage you would think for the FNRL this should be a no brainer to get this team up and running ASAP! 2019 at the minimum, it will increase the amount of full-time Fijian players and creating more depth for the national team. Give exposure to Fijian rugby league, and ultimately give local Fijians a chance to earn a living while playing rugby league!

CQ Italia

Juniors
am I the only one who thinks its really strange to get that far without the FNRL approval?
Petero Civoniceva: Bula Vinaka! We are currently awaiting the endorsement from the FNRL Board. It has been 3 years of hard work with my Fiji NSW ISP Bid team putting together an extensive proposal. We have the endorsements of the NRL, NSWRL, Fiji National Sports Commission, Fiji Sports Council and Fiji Government. We had 2 previous written endorsements from the last 2 FNRL Boards and a verbal endorsement in April this year. We are the only Fiji Bid proposal that the NSWRL will accept. We are ready to start as we have sponsorship and just require the written endorsement from the current FNRL Board. We are independent of FNRL to ensure our financial viability and to operate without political interference or regional affiliations- we want a fair and even playing field operating openly, honestly and transparency assured for our supporters, sponsors, FNRL and Fiji Government. This is a tremendous opportunity for Fiji’s elite local players- to be contracted as a full time professional rugby league player ( Full time wage) - playing against Australia’s best 2nd tier Rugby League Comp - the NSW Intrust Super Cup. I feel this is the missing link for local players - now they will get the opportunity to show case their talents towards a lucrative NRL contract - which is life changing. We will look into putting back into the rugby league clubs, players are recruited from. We await to hear from the FNRL Board. This will be a fantastic opportunity in 2019- we hope the FNRL Board feel the same way. Vinaka vakalevu. Petero Civoniceva.

it says they've had 3 the last few years from fnrl baords - they just need a final endorsement letter

deluded pom?

Coach
am I the only one who thinks its really strange to get that far without the FNRL approval?
True but I read an article earlier that said the people pushing the bid had to bring the FNRL up to speed with what's gone on in the last three years because they weren't in the loop. That I also find strange. It's like they aren't working together on this.

latingringo101

Juniors
So glad they've sorted it all out. Can't wait to see them running around in the NSW cup.

I wonder what their name and logo will be

Latest posts