What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finucane

shadowboxer

First Grade
Once again kudos to management for keeping this under wraps again...speaks volumes for the professional way we now operate. As others have said...no way the NRL blocks this considering the current ephasis on head injuries. Whoever said take a look at Shitster needs to give themselves an uppercut. Get Jack and Kayel re-signed asap and I'll be a happy chappy. And thanks for your efforts Rambo...look forward to your future contributions to the club in a non-playing capacity.
Well said.
Well done Dale and all the best.
Well done management.
Just sign Williams now - the cash freed up will be minimal considering Dales last year deal, go to those onboard atm

jason taylor

Bench
I'm assuming no. The bicep was. He's had over 10 concussions/whiplashes. The club can apply of course but it's against the odds.

When checking past retirements it's worth noting the wording in the articles. Very few mention "medical" retirement although it's talked about. The usual vernacular is retirement on medical advice. Andrew Davey, Boydio, Friend, Mickey Morgan etc all retired on medical advice. Some have said some of them got an NRL approved medical retirement but there's not much evidence to that in searches. Te Maire Martin got one. Burgess got one.

In the end it matters not. The Sharks have lost an on field leader and inspirational player. A guy has lost his livelihood. He's lost his game.

There's positive but not a good time to be excited about them really.
You never know - Parra somehow got the NRL to approve Watmough’s medical retirement, citing a reoccurring knee injury.

Frenzy.

Immortal
You never know - Parra somehow got the NRL to approve Watmough’s medical retirement, citing a reoccurring knee injury.
Yes they did, after QBE knocked back the claim too. That whole case was under suspicion as he had actually agree to terms with Parra to retire and relieve cap pressure. Parra kept paying him while awaiting a decision.

I'm also sure he got a training injury (knee on knee impact with Beau Scott) that was deemed as new and different to his chronic cartilage issues.

Eels took QBE to court in 2018 where scuttlebutt from the time is that QBE and The Eels pay 50% each to Watmough.

It was slow

shaggs

Coach
Surely the head injury from his latest knock is enough for medical retirement.
I wouldn’t be mentioning anything else

Chimp

Bench
As others have said, the ‘new injury’ only applies to whether the insurance payout his remaining contract or whether the Sharks do.
The NRL decision on salary cap doesn’t need to be a ‘new injury’ - at worst, we will wear his salary on our cap for this full season, but we will have his money back in the cap next year (even if the Sharks have to physically pay him).
There’s no way the NRL would penalise a club for a concussion related retirement.

Frenzy.

Immortal
As others have said, the ‘new injury’ only applies to whether the insurance payout his remaining contract or whether the Sharks do.
The NRL decision on salary cap doesn’t need to be a ‘new injury’ - at worst, we will wear his salary on our cap for this full season, but we will have his money back in the cap next year (even if the Sharks have to physically pay him).
There’s no way the NRL would penalise a club for a concussion related retirement.
Good to have this clarification.

Would love to see NRL publish a list of the criteria and those who have been approved.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
The one I'm curious about is Shitster. Despite having been on an 800k deal.for 4 years... apparently Manly will only have to wear 250k on their salary cap for each of the next 4 years after coming to a mutual termination agreement. How does that work based on the fact he's just a lazy fat fo?

Big Bloke

Juniors
The one I'm curious about is Shitster. Despite having been on an 800k deal.for 4 years... apparently Manly will only have to wear 250k on their salary cap for each of the next 4 years after coming to a mutual termination agreement. How does that work based on the fact he's just a lazy fat fo?
I have heard that Manly need to pay out around $1m to get rid of him. Heard it on the radio yesterday.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I have heard that Manly need to pay out around $1m to get rid of him. Heard it on the radio yesterday.
Yep heard that too mate but that's over 4 years @250k per year. According to NRL on fox last night that's all that Manly will have to cop on their salary cap...not the 800k per year they signed him for. Unless merkiny and Bwaith were dribbling shit again.

Big Bloke

Juniors
Yep heard that too mate but that's over 4 years @250k per year. According to NRL on fox last night that's all that Manly will have to cop on their salary cap...not the 800k per year they signed him for. Unless merkiny and Bwaith were dribbling shit again.
Yep, that makes sense.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Get out clauses Manly were smart enough to put in have been reported as coming into play. $$ agreements Shitster obviously signed off on in case of termination of contract.

DJDL

Bench
I wondered at the time the deal was signed whether the Tigers offer was legit, or whether it was Scott Fulton’s way of getting Manly committed to a ridiculous contract in payback for them shafting him.

If it was, well played.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Get out clauses Manly were smart enough to put in have been reported as coming into play. $$ agreements Shitster obviously signed off on in case of termination of contract.
Yeah I get that they were smart enough to have a 250k get out clause but why wouldn't they have to wear full freight on the salary cap?

Frenzy.

Immortal
Yeah I get that they were smart enough to have a 250k get out clause but why wouldn't they have to wear full freight on the salary cap?
Because it won't be paid as salary to him I suppose? That $550k per year for 25-27 is now cap space money. They've done well IMO.

carinashark

First Grade
I just hope he has retired early enough. He Looked a lot different in a Sharks jersey. Good about the free’d up cap though.

Latest posts