What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firman Given Permission to Look Else Where

Simon

Juniors
That's the latest from the club about the half back situation. Although it would be bad to loose a great player like Firman, if we keep Head it may prove beneficial. Firman high salary may be used to keep other players or recruit players in other positions. I don't think it was possible to have 2 outstanding half backs on the books at once. This would mean other positions would have to be weakened. I hope that Head proves to be a success long term and the club becomes justified in making this decision. Only time will tell

11Straight

Juniors
If they were to let firman go would'nt they still have to pay half of his salary because he has 2 years to run on his current contract??.

Godz Illa

Coach
RED_WHITE_DYNAMITE_04 said:
If they were to let firman go would'nt they still have to pay half of his salary because he has 2 years to run on his current contract??.
Yes but it won't effect the all-important salary cap.

Collateral

Coach
As much as I am dissapointed that Firman will not be with us...I fully trust Doust and Brown in their decision.

When you think about it, it is potentially a VERY smart move.

Firman leaving now will free up money to re-sign Head AND Riddell. Riddell wants 4 years which would be excellent.

Firman, while being a future star, appears to be much like Barrett, Gasnier, Ryles etc..ie Very good but prone to injury.

Head on the other hand probably wont be a future rep player, but will be something to the likes of Matt Orford. ie, a very good player and a Key club player, but gets overlooked for rep selection.
He is not injury prone either (touch wood).

It would be excellent to have a star player that is not injury prone and doesnt miss games through rep footy.

Not playing rep footy would also mean that his salary would be lower!

Brett Firman is the complete opposite of 99% of the above.

Simon

Juniors
I doubt we'd have to pay him to play anywhere else. If he leaves he could command more then his 200k at the moment. I'd say if he came back to the Dragons and said I can only get 100k from so and so, they'll say stay and play for us. He's bound to get offers over 200k though this time. Melbourne (if Orford goes), Canberra, Nth Qld, Manly, Roosters, Sharks, Knights (depending on Johns and Gidley), Souths are all in the market looking for a half or 5/8th next year. With Firman sure to be one of the best halves on the market I'd say the Dragons would say the other club pays all your wage or you play for us. In effect Firman could only look at offers of 200k plus. At least I'm hoping this is what they'll be saying to him.

Petebix

Juniors
The dragons can't just say "the other club pays all your wage or you play for us" there's all sorts of things in contracts preventing that. if the dragons release him they have to pay

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Petebix said:
The dragons can't just say "the other club pays all your wage or you play for us" there's all sorts of things in contracts preventing that. if the dragons release him they have to pay

Spot on perfect example of this is Todd Payten who is at the Wests Tigers at the moment we are paying I think $20k of his total contract if we make the finals this year whilst next year I think it works out to be 40 percent of his contract because both the Raiders and the Roosters are still paying for him now.

The simple reason why this takes place is because the club is the one who wants to break the contract and not the player.

Simon

Juniors
There's a difference between the likes of Payton and Roberts to that of Firman's situation. Both Payton and Roberts were told well after June 30 to look for another club. Both would not of been paid the amount of their current contract because they were'nt playing as well as what they were when they signed their previous contracts. These factors would of created little interest for both players. With Firman he's been told before June 30 and there will be plenty of clubs looking to secure his services. This will more then likely result in him attracting offers more then the one he was on at Saints, meaning we won't have to pay a thing for him next season.

This is the situation I would like to see and one that I think is likely as a lot of clubs are looking to secure halfbacks for next year.

Sticks

Juniors
I don't recall O'Connor, Tallis and Fitzy having shoulder surgery every other season and also breaking a leg. You've gotta pick the bloke who's fit and playing well. Head is also a local boy.

Best of luck Firmo.....break a leg son ;-) .

Sticks

Saint 60

Juniors
The half price doesnt come from the cap....?

lol more power to him...it will be interesting to c what they are going to do with the SoO half back....

or will firman play 5/8.......

Re-signing Head is now a MUST!!
yup ----

lockyno1

Post Whore
He has signed with the Roosters. It says on nrl. com. He has signed for 3 years. Bad luck guys. At least now you can concentrate on other signings. Hope to see riddel, kite, etc still dragons next next. I do like watching you guys play!

Good luck this week!

The link is below for the firman article.

http://www.nrl.com.au/news.cfm?id=8983

Avenger

Immortal
You have now lost Firman. If you now lose Head to us and don't get Orford your management should be shot. I really feel for you guys. But that is what happens when you consistently recuit or produce top players. It happens to us and to you. Good luck with Head. I would love to have him at Parra but for the good of the game he should stay with the Dragons.