What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fishing

thorson1987

Coach
So my son really wants to go fishing one day.

I would love to take him, only issue is I haven't been fishing since I was a kid so wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Any advice i.e how much should I look to spend on equipment and shit.

horrie hastings

First Grade
It depends on where you are based and what access you have to waterways. I remember my father taking me fishing when I was young when we went away for holidays up the north coast but I wasn't that interested in it at the time. Then one day when my parents were out I decided to grab the hand lines out of the back shed and I headed over to Kirribilli in Sydney Harbour where I caught my first leatherjacket and then I was hooked,even though I had fished and caught fish before this day on the harbour I think that what made more interested this day was that I did it by myself.Its only in the last few years that my interest in fishing has waned, not so much waned but just finding spare time to go these days.

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
It depends on where you are based and what access you have to waterways. I remember my father taking me fishing when I was young when we went away for holidays up the north coast but I wasn't that interested in it at the time. Then one day when my parents were out I decided to grab the hand lines out of the back shed and I headed over to Kirribilli in Sydney Harbour where I caught my first leatherjacket and then I was hooked,even though I had fished and caught fish before this day on the harbour I think that what made more interested this day was that I did it by myself.Its only in the last few years that my interest in fishing has waned, not so much waned but just finding spare time to go these days.

Probably down windang.

Bazal

Post Whore
So my son really wants to go fishing one day.

I would love to take him, only issue is I haven't been fishing since I was a kid so wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Any advice i.e how much should I look to spend on equipment and shit.

Honestly, for just diddling around estuaries and the like, most of the K-Mart rod and reel kits (Shimano for eg) are perfectly fine and very affordable. Bigger tackle stores have better rod and reel packages that still won't break the bank and will handle more wear and tear. Kids don't really care whether they catch monsters or reasonably small fish and you definitely don't need high end kit to scare up some bream or whiting in an estuary.

Parra

Referee
Watch out for the total crap no-name reels. Cheaper Shimanos are reliable and good value.

For kids that age fishing is all about action more than something to take home. Bait fishing for flathead is the way to go in any estuary in NSW. If you time it right you will have a ball.

To get action for kids fishing for baitfish is fun and gets heaps of action. You can get a sabiki jig from any tackle store for a couple of bucks. Add a small piece of squid to the small hooks and from any jetty or wharf you'll get small yellowtail/tailor/bream. You will throw them all back, but it is easy and quick action for the kids while you have a couple of baits soaking out further. The get even more action just burley around the sabiki jig area with white bread that you just crumble in your hand.

Quick catch and release keeps the kids entertained - hard to do this when you are doing the traditional cast and wait with bait.

Avoid the temptation to cast soft plastics or other lures - as fun as it is the kids can't really join in and you'll focus on doing that rather than making sure they enjoy the time.

If you pull in a flatty or bream while doing this it is a great bonus.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Probably down windang.

Drove over the Windang bridge last Sunday, couldn't get over the amount of people fishing there around the lake. As Parra said, go for a Shimano reel, they are well priced,they can take some abuse and will last, also agree with what Parra said about fishing for bait fish with the jig or also just a basic handline with small hooks with prawn for yellowtail, sweep or you may even catch a leatherjacket which are good tucker if they are big enough. Have only fished at Windang once when a mate of mine lived down their back in the early 80s, we caught a couple of keeper flathead between us and also a nice bream, would imagine there would be some good whiting in around there too.