What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FNRL signs 3 year deal with Fiji Sun

obsulete

Juniors
http://www.fijisun.com.fj/main_page/view.asp?id=25668

League signs three-year partnership with Sun
8/28/2009
63-20.gif
The Fiji Sun yesterday extended its sponsorship of sport to the fast-growing game of rugby league. Fiji National Rugby League signed a three-year partnership with the Fiji Sun, Fiji’s fastest growing newspaper.
Patron Rajesh Singh and Deputy Chairman Tomi Finau signed the deal with Fiji Sun publisher/chief executive officer Peter Lomas and marketing manager Philip Filipo at Fiji Sun headquarters, Walu Bay.
Singh said he was grateful to the Fiji Sun for the support, especially as the Fiji Sun is already helping rugby, soccer and netball.
“We are very fortunate to have you and this is timely as we prepare for the Pacific Cup competition,” Singh said.
Singh said there is lots coming up for the Fiji National Rugby League. This partnership would help build on that, he said.
Singh also said Lomas himself had a long background in sport, including with rugby league. So the Fiji National Rugby League looked forward to tapping into this as well, he said.
Lomas said the Sun wants to help the growth of sport because of its critical role in the nation.
The Fiji Sun, as Fiji’s only locally owned daily newspaper, had a special commitment to Fiji, he said.
He said the Vodafone Fiji Bati had brought pride to the nation at the last World Cup by reaching the semifinals.
Rugby league also provided an exciting career path for local players with opportunities to play professionally overseas.
Fiji players were already successful in Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) and Britain’s Super League.
Lomas said it was only a matter of time before Fiji produced another Jarryd Hayne, the Fiji Bati player now one of the biggest stars of the NRL.

hutch

First Grade
firstly, great news for fiji. rugby league seems to be growing at quite a rate over there at the moment.

Lomas said it was only a matter of time before Fiji produced another Jarryd Hayne, the Fiji Bati player now one of the biggest stars of the NRL

not too sure what they mean about this comment though. fiji didnt produce hayne, he is an australian who played for his fathers heritage at the world cup when he missed out on his country. fiji havnt produced anybody in the nrl yet. hopefully this will change as teams look to fiji for rugby league talent, but they shouldnt get ahead of themselves.

Last edited:

hutch

First Grade
just thought of the waqa'a from the sydney roosters, were they signed from fiji? i know one has a rugby union background. can anyone think of any players signed from fiji?

deluded pom?

Coach
Noa Nadruku had a union background but I can't think of any NRL players signed directly from Fijian rugby league. I'm sure that scenario won't be far away though.

deluded pom?

Coach
Great to see the Bati getting more sponsorship and I assume more column inches. They really are a great example of an emerging nation. I'll have to add the Fiji Sun to my favourites list.

Latest posts