What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy tipping comps

undertaker

Coach
Just wondering out of curiosity if

1) any of you are participating in a footy tipping comp?
2) which comps are you participating in?
3) have you won anything in the past from them?

Pommy

Coach
I'm in one at work. I'm 3 points off the top but they've used their joker and I haven't so I class myself as top in reality. There's around 40 of us in it.
It's $500 the winner but there's a good bit to go yet.

Incorrect

Coach
I'm in a couple... One is run by my mate and his brother, been going for 21 years. My mate is a coder so he's got a web page/form done up for it so it's all online. I've been in it since about 1999 or 2000... There's your main Head to Head tipping plus another 3 side comps (eg Lock of the Week etc) so even if you're going rubbish in the main comp there's still money to be won elsewhere, keeps you interested. Main comp is usually around $2500 for first place, the other comps have prizemoney ranging from $500-$1000. Entry fee is $175. Over the years I reckon I'm probably just in front, I've had a few collects along the way

The other comp I'm in is run by a friend of a friend. It's pretty good too actually, you pay $5 per round, and there's a weekly prize of $180 for the leading tipper of the round, but it's capped at 3 joint winners. Any more than that and the prize jackpots to the following week. So again, even if your going rubbish overall, you can still win some money and maybe cover your outlay and then some right up until roud 26. And after all that there's still prizemoney for the top 3 tippers overall....

mikeob

Juniors
I'm currently in tipping comps run by the nrl, 2gb, sportsbet and itipfooty. Haven't won anything. Best I did was going into the 2013 grand final I was 6th and looking good to win at least $1000 with either sportsbet or sportingbet as they paid prizes to the top 10. However I tipped Manly, the Roosters won and I finished 12th and out of the money.

undertaker

Coach
Good to see others are in the Sportsbet comp. There have been a few occasions where I've got a perfect round in the NRL comp, but the margin game stuffed me up, and have got agonisingly close on a couple of occasions only to be dudded by a try late in the game. I don't care for AFL as a sport, but am only interested in the tipping comps I have with the code.

Regarding prizes won (for both NRL and AFL):

- won $13.83 on Sportsbet AFL in 2013. Unfortunately in that round, about 722 other people got the perfect round & margin, otherwise the prize would've been much higher. As you know, in AFL, the margin game is much more difficult to predict as you get a wider range of scores in AFL compared to NRL. Back then, Sportsbet were giving $10,000 per round, now it's $5,000.
- won a Whopper burger in the ESPN Footytips comp in 2015 for a perfect round in AFL
- won a Whopper burger in the ESPN Footytips comp in 2015 for a perfect round in NRL
- won $50 for highest score in the round in some AFL tipping comp in Northern Territory in 2015.
- won $5 for tied 5th in a round for NRL last year in Ladbrokes.

Brings my overall haul over the past 4 years to $68.83 and 2 Whopper burgers at Hungry Jacks. Could've been much more if not for some painful near misses.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
I'm currently in tipping comps run by the nrl, 2gb, sportsbet and itipfooty. Haven't won anything. Best I did was going into the 2013 grand final I was 6th and looking good to win at least $1000 with either sportsbet or sportingbet as they paid prizes to the top 10. However I tipped Manly, the Roosters won and I finished 12th and out of the money.

I am also in NRL, 2GB and Sportsbet (don't know anything about itipfooty). Sportsbet is the best of the lot, but a shame they have downsized on the prizes. It was because of my dad (who was in the Sportsbet tipping comp) that I learnt about it and made my tipping debut in 2013, but when I was at uni a few years earlier when he started in it, I remember him telling me that 1st prize overall was $250k. Luxbet also had a tipping comp that was $250k 1st prize as well. When I entered, it was $100k with $10k for best performance in the round, but now it is $50k with $5k for best performance in the round.

Workplace comp, which we run through ESPN Footytips. We chuck in $50 each and there's 65 of us in it so there'll be a decent kitty for the winner.
Is it winner takes all? If so, yeah, a good payday is coming to whoever wins that. Best of luck with that!

Latest posts