What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Bomber speaks out

AuckMel

Bench
Doubt he'll play in the AFL again.

Link

FORMER Bomber Kyle Reimers has spoken out about Essendon's supplement use, saying the club knew it was pushing the boundaries.

It has been reported the club requested players to sign waivers taking responsibility for supplements taken as part of the Bombers' fitness program.

Doubt he'll play in the AFL again.

Link
Ok I'm aware that you are a mod on the bigfooty forum, but also have an interest in Rugby League. The point is Mel that the AFL drug policy is a joke, and if you was honest you would admit it. I myself am against drugs at all levels of society. I believe that all sportsman who return 2 positive drug tests in their careers should recieve at least a 5 year ban from all sports at all levels, then and only then will sportsman start to think about giving up drugs.
The AFL 3 strike rule in my opinion is a joke and does not send out a serious message.

Munro_Mick

Juniors
Ok I'm aware that you are a mod on the bigfooty forum, but also have an interest in Rugby League. The point is Mel that the AFL drug policy is a joke, and if you was honest you would admit it. I myself am against drugs at all levels of society. I believe that all sportsman who return 2 positive drug tests in their careers should recieve at least a 5 year ban from all sports at all levels, then and only then will sportsman start to think about giving up drugs.
The AFL 3 strike rule in my opinion is a joke and does not send out a serious message.

Mate - firstly - this Essendon issue is around Sports Science staff providing/injecting supplements to players. The issue here is not around community illegal substances - it's around banned substances or banned quantities of substances under the WADA protocols.

For example - a VFL (2nd tier player, not AFL listed, not professional) got an 18 month ban for importing (buying from the US) some 'fat burner'. He wasn't testing positive, but the product - legal otherwise - contained an illegal ingredient under WADA rules.

The AFL 3 strike rule is about illicit drugs and NOT PEDs (performance enhancing drugs). The AFL being WADA compliant is a 1 strike match day environment as are all the other codes signed up.

The 3 strike illicit drugs policy is in line with community standards and fully supported by Vic and Fed Police (they use a 3 strike protocol of diversion/rehab programs on first 2 strikes then more serious charges on the third - which is why you'll often see say 300 people arrested for drugs possession at the Big Day Out but only 120 charged - the others will have been diverted).

The AFL policy is targeting player health and welfare - it recognises that many people either A. make a silly error of judgement and with a slap on the wrist won't do it again, or B. that many people actually are battling undiagnosed mental 'conditions' whether depression/bi-polar or others - some of which need only to be treated effectively by a health professional.

In these 2 cases - the AFL policy seemingly works and hopefully has helped guys avoid in essence 'self medicating' by whatever means legal or otherwise.

Case C are the dimwit arrogant types who thumb their noses at the rule makers and deserve what they get come the third strike should that occur - - these are also likely to be the types who will seek to exploit the 'self reporting loophole'.

Mate - firstly - this Essendon issue is around Sports Science staff providing/injecting supplements to players. The issue here is not around community illegal substances - it's around banned substances or banned quantities of substances under the WADA protocols.

For example - a VFL (2nd tier player, not AFL listed, not professional) got an 18 month ban for importing (buying from the US) some 'fat burner'. He wasn't testing positive, but the product - legal otherwise - contained an illegal ingredient under WADA rules.

The AFL 3 strike rule is about illicit drugs and NOT PEDs (performance enhancing drugs). The AFL being WADA compliant is a 1 strike match day environment as are all the other codes signed up.

The 3 strike illicit drugs policy is in line with community standards and fully supported by Vic and Fed Police (they use a 3 strike protocol of diversion/rehab programs on first 2 strikes then more serious charges on the third - which is why you'll often see say 300 people arrested for drugs possession at the Big Day Out but only 120 charged - the others will have been diverted).

The AFL policy is targeting player health and welfare - it recognises that many people either A. make a silly error of judgement and with a slap on the wrist won't do it again, or B. that many people actually are battling undiagnosed mental 'conditions' whether depression/bi-polar or others - some of which need only to be treated effectively by a health professional.

In these 2 cases - the AFL policy seemingly works and hopefully has helped guys avoid in essence 'self medicating' by whatever means legal or otherwise.

Case C are the dimwit arrogant types who thumb their noses at the rule makers and deserve what they get come the third strike should that occur - - these are also likely to be the types who will seek to exploit the 'self reporting loophole'.
You and your mate Vlad can call it want you want, but at the end of the day AFL has a huge drug problem, and the 3 strike rule is just a cover up to stop the truth getting out.

AuckMel

Bench

I have zero tolerance for them in all walks of life. I'd have no issue with hefty suspensions for players in any code after one offense.

Having said that, on my way home from work tonight Mark McVeigh (a former player at Essendon) claims the players never took anything illegal and that the supplements were within the rules. He claims Reimers is merely a disgruntled ex-player causing trouble because he got dumped.

Now, this could be true or it might not be, I just prefer to wait until the full details come out.

I'm pretty confident the full facts will eventually be known.